China's secretive J-13 stealth fighter revealed: Latest prototypes of plane that could take on the F

lcafanboy

Country flag
China's secretive J-13 stealth fighter revealed: Latest prototypes of plane that could take on the F-35 are pictured
By Stacy Liberatore For Dailymail.com23:04 02 May 2017, updated 23:26 02 May 2017

• China has been ramping up testing for its secretive J-13 stealth fighter jet
  • Craft said to be the same size as America's F-35 and could replace China's J-10s
  • Has a range of 775 miles, carries up to 28 tons and reaches Mach 1.8 speeds
  • However, the first prototype seemed to be less equipped for the battlefield
It has been said to rival America's F-35 fighter jet.

China's improved J-31 is poised to be the nation's stealth fighter for aircraft carriers and would ultimately take the place of the current single-engine J-10s.

ADVERTISEMENT

Developed by the Shenyang Aircraft Corporation (SAC), the twin-engine J-31 is similar in size to the F-35, has a range of 775 miles, can transport up to 28 tons and is able to reach Mach 1.8 speeds.

China's improved J-31 is poised to be the nation's stealth fighter for aircraft carriers and would ultimately take the place of thesingle-engine J-10s that are currently used in battle. The craft has been spending more time in flight tests - suggesting it could soon be put into action
WHAT ARE THE FEATURES?
Developed by the Shenyang Aircraft Corporation (SAC), the twin-engine J-31 is similar in size to the F-35, with a range of 775 miles, can carry up to 28 tons and is able to reach Mach 1.8 speeds.

SAC foresees its craft ultimately replacing the J-10s and the firm may market the J-31 to other nations that are barred from purchasing America's F-35.

The craft boasts an IRST sensor, stealth capabilities, better radar technology and cleaner burner engines.

The team also went as far as toreplace the WS-13 engines with domestic WS-13E or WS-17 turbofan engines that give it more speed.

China ranks second in the world's military budget, with $145.8 billion dollars, and it seems the Asian country is looking to use a good portion of its funding to modernize its artillery.

Reports have suggested that the Chines People's Liberation Army currently has approximately 2,200 operational aircraft – but only 600 of which are considered modern.

China first showed-off the J-31 in 2014 at an airshow, which it rose in a nearly vertical climb on take-off in Zhuhai before circling back and doing two rolls.

The fighter's Chinese name is 'Falcon Eagle' and it is manufactured by a unit of Aviation Industry Corp. of China (AVIC), whose defense arm uses the slogan: 'We are making the best weapons for guardians of the peace.'

But the plane's first public appearance came at a time when tensions were high between China and its neighbors over territorial disputes, particularly Japan which has feuded with Beijing over a group of islands in the East China Sea.

SAC foresees its craft ultimately replacing the J-10s and the firm may market the J-31 to other nations that are barred from purchasing America's F-35.

RELATED ARTICLES

Developed by the Shenyang Aircraft Corporation (SAC), the twin-engine J-31 is similar in size to the F-35, with a range of 775 miles, can carry up to 28 tons and is able to reach Mach 1.8 speeds. This is the second version of the prototype the firm has developed
However, getting to a point where China is ramping up flight tests was a long journey.

According to Jeffrey Lin and P.W. Singer with Popular Science, the first variant of J-31 was not equipped with cutting-edge technology.

The firm gave the prototype another go in December 2016 and this time, the plane was heavier and longer than its predecessor. In addition to size, the craft was fitted with an IRST sensor, stealth capabilities, better radar technology and cleaner burner engines (concept drawing)
It 'did not fly with advanced avionics like an infrared search and track (IRST) sensor and stealth features like swept vertical stabilizers, suggesting its role to be a proof of concept for testing SAC's stealth technology, and hopefully attract buyers,' they reported.

ADVERTISEMENT

And when SAC attempted to market the plane as 'an export fifth generation fighter' it feel short among both national and international buyers.

AMERICA'S F-35 IN FIGURES

Role: Stealth multirole fighter

First flight: December 15, 2006

Unit cost (not including engine):

F-35A - $98million

F-35B - $104million

F-35C - $116million

Number built: 115 (as of November 2014)

Length: 51ft (15.67m)

Wingspan: 35ft (10.7m)

Height: 14ft (4.33m)

Max speed (F-35A): 1199mph (1,930kph)

The firm gave the prototype another go in December 2016 and this time, the plane was heavier and longer than its predecessor.

In addition to size, the craft was fitted with an IRST sensor, stealth capabilities, better radar technology and cleaner burner engines.

In addition to size, the craft was fitted with an IRST sensor, stealth capabilities, better radar technology and cleaner burner engines (concept drawing)
The team also went as far as to replace the WS-13 engines with domestic WS-13E or WS-17 turbofan engines that give it more speed.

Now, the J-31 is about the same size as the F-35, has a range of 775 miles, is strong enough to carry up to 28 tons and reaches Mach 1.8 speeds.

ADVERTISEMENT

Lin and Singer noted that 'the combination of the J-31's high speed performance, and suggested payload of 6 PL-12 or 4 PL-21 long range air to air missiles suggests that the J-31 has been optimized as an air superiority fighter'.

China first showed-off the J-31 in 2014 (pictured) at an airshow. But fells short because it 'did not fly with advanced avionics and stealth features, suggesting its role to be a proof of concept for testing SAC's stealth technology, and hopefully attract buyers'

https://www.google.co.in/amp/www.da...-secretive-J-13-stealth-fighter-revealed.html

lcafanboy

Country flag
Baboons at DOD and DRDO and HAL are just sweet talking of AMCA and China is busy churning out stealthFighters by dozens.

@IndianHawk@Willy2@roma@Krusty@Defcon 1@Ghanteshwar@raheel besharam@raja696@Amr@AnkitPurohit @Akshay_Fenix@aditya10r@airtel@aditya10r@ancientIndian@Bahamut@Berkut@Bornubus@Bengal_Tiger@ersakthivel@FRYCRY@Gessler @HariSud @hit&run@hardip@indiandefencefan@IndianHawk @JayPatel @Kshatriya87@LETHALFORCE@Mikesingh@NavneetKundu @OneGrimPilgrim@pmaitra@PaliwalWarrior@Pulkit@smestarz @SakalGhareluUstad @Srinivas_K @ShashankSharma @Superdefender@Screambowl@TacticalFrog @sayareakd

cw2005

What I read in Sinodefence is that this plane is for export only.

sthf

Country flag
What I read in Sinodefence is that this plane is for export only.
It is for export but who is buying? Because whoever buys it will have to fund atleast 50% of the project.

Countries who bought FC-1, did so in very low numbers and this list includes Pakistan too. You are looking at a multi-billion dollar investment. Hardly feasible. Hence, just 2 prototypes in 5 years.

scatterStorm

Country flag
There's a good analysis video of it's initial sustained turn rate, which say a lot about this jet. A respected aviation engineer on youtube and I were discussing it's sustained turn rate, frame by frame analysis and we came to conclusion that it's a impressive fighter jet although heavily influenced by western F35 L2 airframe design. I don't know how they cooked up it's engines, those RD33s were tweaked to improve combustion because it's earlier prototype was spewing more black smoke, the usual, typical of the RD33s.

This development shouldn't be taken lightly, again my posture being towards chinkies is not of "junk jokes" but actually very serious threat.

We also discussed that the R&D team working on this prototype belongs to a firm apart from being self funded firm which is interesting, how did they get so much money even though no help from military is still a mystery to me, nevertheless, it also specializes in super computing and cyber security. Now the hacks story becomes very plausible explanation to it design.

News suggest that they are working on a new 100KN thrust class engine, that's a direct attack on GE 414 in my opinion.

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
Baboons at DOD and DRDO and HAL are just sweet talking of AMCA and China is busy churning out stealthFighters by dozens.

@IndianHawk@Willy2@roma@Krusty@Defcon 1@Ghanteshwar@raheel besharam@raja696@Amr@AnkitPurohit @Akshay_Fenix@aditya10r@airtel@aditya10r@ancientIndian@Bahamut@Berkut@Bornubus@Bengal_Tiger@ersakthivel@FRYCRY@Gessler @HariSud @hit&run@hardip@indiandefencefan@IndianHawk @JayPatel @Kshatriya87@LETHALFORCE@Mikesingh@NavneetKundu @OneGrimPilgrim@pmaitra@PaliwalWarrior@Pulkit@smestarz @SakalGhareluUstad @Srinivas_K @ShashankSharma @Superdefender@Screambowl@TacticalFrog @sayareakd
this version looks impressive no longer qualifies as the kind of junk they were doing in the past

china churned out junk for decades and they finally touched something now

our guys are slower but our first LCA was not bad at all .... we just need to kick things forward

isro has reached that level ....we now need HAL and the others to get going similarly

when Namo came on the scene he replaced the head of DRDO ...i dont know if that helped at all ? the last guy did a lot on missile tech and today india is pretty good in that

we need to stop the import mentality and FORCE ourselves to develop more of our own .....i think Namo has given up or too may other things on his mind ..... the momentum is slowing down

we need to get HAL DRDO back on track ?
someone tell me im wrong and tell us that DRDO has achieved a lot and HAL moving fast on AMCA ?
please give your opinions

scatterStorm

Country flag
this version looks impressive no longer qualifies as the kind of junk they were doing in the past

china churned out junk for decades and they finally touched something now

our guys are slower but our first LCA was not bad at all .... we just need to kick things forward

isro has reached that level ....we now need HAL and the others to get going similarly

when Namo came on the scene he replaced the head of DRDO ...i dont know if that helped at all ? the last guy did a lot on missile tech and today india is pretty good in that

we need to stop the import mentality and FORCE ourselves to develop more of our own .....i think Namo has given up or too may other things on his mind ..... the momentum is slowing down

we need to get HAL DRDO back on track ?
someone tell me im wrong and tell us that DRDO has achieved a lot and HAL moving fast on AMCA ?
please give your opinions
It's all about funding and motivation for the development by each and every scientist, engineer and researcher involved in the design of a cutting edge aircraft at an individual level too. I don't think, we have realized how important quality and benchmark setting tech is much needed to boost the countries defence.

In ISRO I have great respect, the value those old mevricks give to any young engineer like me and scientist is how to go frugal in term of innovation. I don't know what would've been without such amazing people and of course Vikram Sarahbhai the father of India space research program.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles