China's LPAR in full Google Earth glory

StealthSniper

GOOGLE EARTH SHOWS COMPLETED RADAR

Google Earth's latest imagery update now provides a high-resolution view of the completed LPAR facility in western China. This facility was previously illustrated as an Image of the Week while in an incomplete state using then-available Google Earth imagery, and identified as an LPAR facility using Terra Server imagery. Google Earth's newly-uploaded imagery from 2009 displaying the operational radar facility can be seen below:

There is still no information regarding this facility, although its positioning and orientation suggests a BMEW function. An alternative, given the relative proximity to the Xinjiang possible HEL site, could be a space tracking role providing early warning data to the ASAT network.

Link:

IMINT & Analysis: China's LPAR Revealed

Rage

DFI TEAM
I'm curious. How exactly is this breaking news?

Large phased array RADAR have been known to be deployed in China since 1994. A 1988 analysis of Chinese strategic development noted that "a very large phased-array radar system, constructed in Western China, is probably the first step in establishing a ballistic missile early warning system (BMEWS) - necessary for a launch-on-warning capability." As early as 1986, reports suggested the possible deployment of at least one LPAR in the vicinity of Datong or Harbin, though no locale was specified.

Chinese work on LPARs infact began in 1970. In 1994 it was noted that phased-array radar has been deployed to provide warning against possible Russian attack.

This is probably the second LPAR, the first being deployed at Xuanhua 40°36'20"N 115°02'47"E. Not 'breaking news' to be honest.

And as a comment on the website states, 'There is newer imagery from October showing the radar slewed on its pedestal, but it can only be viewed at a certain height."

Interestingly, a smaller multi-function, slewable phased array radar has been developed by the LRDE: the Electronics and Research Development Establishment. Called the "Rajendra SPAR', it consists of 4000 phase control modules, a C-band transmitter and 16-element IFF Dual Channel radar receiver.

In this case, the image only serves to corroborate a 2009 report that China has deployed some sort of BMD / BMEW capability in Xinjiang.

For further information on Chinese LPAR development, particularly with respect to Russia, please read: Project 640: China's National missile defense in the '70's

StealthSniper

I know that China has deployed the Large phased array radar for a long time. The breaking news is in relation to Google Earth having an updated picture of the LPAR that was in the middle of construction last time a picture was shown. But you may have a point that a better picture is available somewhere else on the web. And your link that you posted isn't working.

Rage

DFI TEAM
I know that China has deployed the Large phased array radar for a long time. The breaking news is in relation to Google Earth having an updated picture of the LPAR that was in the middle of construction last time a picture was shown. But you may have a point that a better picture is available somewhere else on the web. And your link that you posted isn't working.

Link fixed.

Why a google earth image of a technology that has been known to be in the possession of China ever since the 1970's is "breaking news" though still befuddles me.

Sometimes, it leads me to believe that we jump up and down over the slightest Chinese developments. Even if they are quite antiquated.

StealthSniper

Link fixed.

Why a google earth image of a technology that has been known to be in the possession of China ever since the 1970's is "breaking news" though still befuddles me.

Sometimes, it leads me to believe that we jump up and down over the slightest Chinese developments. Even if they are quite antiquated.

I don't know why you are making a big deal of this? I see a new image of a old image that was posted on this site a while back by Sridhar and I think it's breaking news because it shows the LPAR fully constructed and in operation. It might not be breaking news to you Rage and that's fine, but to me I think a image I haven't seen before is breaking news to me.

Rage

DFI TEAM
I don't know why you are making a big deal of this? I see a new image of a old image that was posted on this site a while back by Sridhar and I think it's breaking news because it shows the LPAR fully constructed and in operation. It might not be breaking news to you Rage and that's fine, but to me I think a image I haven't seen before is breaking news to me.

Chill. Take a chill-pill. Chillax! Smoke some weed.

I meant no offense to you or your sensibilities.

However, if you saw an 'updated image' of a previous image posted by Sridhar on this forum, the sensible thing to do would be to find and post it in the thread that he started as an 'update' to the previous image.

The term 'breaking news' usually applies to news 'breaking' the recent telecast to show the latest, eagerly awaited, more important, sensational etc. development. Now if I put in a 'breaking news' tag to an image of a newly armed Dhruv for example, that wouldn't exactly warrant the tag would it?

In any case, the comment in its entirety was directed more towards the author of this 'news report'. No offense intended.

StealthSniper

Chill. Take a chill-pill. Chillax! Smoke some weed.

I meant no offense to you or your sensibilities.

However, if you saw an 'updated image' of a previous image posted by Sridhar on this forum, the sensible thing to do would be to find and post it in the thread that he started as an 'update' to the previous image.

The term 'breaking news' usually applies to news 'breaking' the recent telecast to show the latest, eagerly awaited, more important, sensational etc. development. Now if I put in a 'breaking news' tag to an image of a newly armed Dhruv for example, that wouldn't exactly warrant the tag would it?

In any case, the comment in its entirety was directed more towards the author of this 'news report'. No offense intended.
Well, first of all I don't think everyone knows as much as you do in relation to where the radars are located in China or even how they look. So please think of this thread for people that are new to the LPAR and where it is located. Secondly you may be right and I should have posted this in the Google Earth pictures section, but considering this is a recent "news report" and maybe someone might have questions on it, I created a thread on the LPAR.

And even I am learning about Chinese radars and stuff and I wouldn't have gotten your link of Chinese radars if I just posted a picture in the multimedia section of the forum.

And maybe I didn't use the "breaking news" in the right context but I did insert it into this thread, so when you say you don't think it's breaking news, I think it's directed at me.

Rage

DFI TEAM
Well, first of all I don't think everyone knows as much as you do in relation to where the radars are located in China or even how they look. So please think of this thread for people that are new to the LPAR and where it is located. Secondly you may be right and I should have posted this in the Google Earth pictures section, but considering this is a recent "news report" and maybe someone might have questions on it, I created a thread on the LPAR.

And even I am learning about Chinese radars and stuff and I wouldn't have gotten your link of Chinese radars if I just posted a picture in the multimedia section of the forum.

And maybe I didn't use the "breaking news" in the right context but I did insert it into this thread, so when you say you don't think it's breaking news, I think it's directed at me.
babamoshaay! gussa mat ho yaar : D

The LPAR is not technology that is new or sensationalistic, either to China or the rest of the world. A new picture on a previously unfinished site is not novel either, it is only the coming-to-fruition of a logical and ordinary culmination or fulfillment : )

However, if Sridharbhai had posted this in the Google Images section, then a separate topic might have been warranted. To that end, you were right to create a new thread. However, you might want to be a little more judicious with the use of the 'Breaking News' tag. Why? Because topics appear in the latest posts section with the header 'Breaking news', and sometimes you have dozens of posts in that section all starting with "Breaking news"...."breaking news".

The other part of that comment was directed at the author: a Mr. 'Sean Connor' or whatever. He is an open-source analyst who's been tracking the development of Chinese LAPR since its inception, but acts as if every new development is the blinding light to his eyes.

StealthSniper

babamoshaay! gussa mat ho yaar : D

The LPAR is not technology that is new or sensationalistic, either to China or the rest of the world. A new picture on a previously unfinished site is not novel either, it is only the coming-to-fruition of a logical and ordinary culmination or fulfillment : )

However, if Sridharbhai had posted this in the Google Images section, then a separate topic might have been warranted. To that end, you were right to create a new thread. However, you might want to be a little more judicious with the use of the 'Breaking News' tag. Why? Because topics appear in the latest posts section with the header 'Breaking news', and sometimes you have dozens of posts in that section all starting with "Breaking news"...."breaking news".

The other part of that comment was directed at the author: a Mr. 'Sean Connor' or whatever. He is an open-source analyst who's been tracking the development of Chinese LAPR since its inception, but acts as if every new development is the blinding light to his eyes.
Well I will be more accurate with the tag I use in the future and hopefully others will follow suit. As you will see in other threads, not everyone is using the tags in the right context either. Maybe a moderator should put guidelines to what tag is used for what post. But I still stand by making this thread and I did it to make people more aware of the LAPR and how it looks and how it operates. And I look forward to learning more myself.

Rage

DFI TEAM
Well I will be more accurate with the tag I use in the future and hopefully others will follow suit. As you will see in other threads, not everyone is using the tags in the right context either. Maybe a moderator should put guidelines to what tag is used for what post. But I still stand by making this thread and I did it to make people more aware of the LAPR and how it looks and how it operates. And I look forward to learning more myself.

No arguments there sonny.

I suppose my angst came from all those people obsequiously using the "breaking news" tag with injudiciousnes, as if they wanted to draw people to their threads by making them seem 'sensational'. I don't believe mods should be issuing guidelines on matters like these, I'd rather see people using their own considerable discretion, but I'd love to see them exercise a bit more restraint as well. Otherwise, this forum gets drawn into the realm of fanboyishness with too much frivolity.

Your thread stance stands vindicated. Every reasonable defence topic deserves a thread for discussion, if one already doesn't exist :)

Sorry if I was arrogant or cavalier brother. Sometimes, my nature gets the better of me. I didn't mean to be domineering or autocratic.

StealthSniper

No arguments there sonny.

I suppose my angst came from all those people obsequiously using the "breaking news" tag with injudiciousnes, as if they wanted to draw people to their threads by making them seem 'sensational'. I don't believe mods should be issuing guidelines on matters like these, I'd rather see people using their own considerable discretion, but I'd love to see them exercise a bit more restraint as well. Otherwise, this forum gets drawn into the realm of fanboyishness with too much frivolity.

Your thread stance stands vindicated. Every reasonable defence topic deserves a thread for discussion, if one already doesn't exist :)

Sorry if I was arrogant or cavalier brother. Sometimes, my nature gets the better of me. I didn't mean to be domineering or autocratic.
I also have no hard feelings against you brother, I am just a bit defensive and hopefully we both can learn and make this forum all that much better.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles