China's HQ-9 SAM (Best Video)

Martian

Respected Member
China's HQ-9 is the equivalent of Russia's S-300 SAM. However, the Chinese HQ-9 has more advanced signal processing.

HQ-9 and HQ-12 SAM System Battery Radars | Air Power Australia

Excerpt: "Stills captured from a January, 2010, CCTV7 broadcast discussing the HQ-9 SAM system in operation, show a number of operator consoles in vans used with the system. Notable is the use of state-of-the-art AMCLD COTS display technology, and modern software based synthetic displays and mode selection. This is quite distinct from the CRT technology used in Russian built S-300PMU/PMU1 battery components."

----------

Compare the advanced Chinese digital displays and functions for the HQ-9 (see above) with the Russian S-300 command center below using old CRT technology. The picture is a snapshot from the video "S-300 missile destroys 'enemy fighter' at Ashuluk."

----------

Better signal processing because you use an LCD and the Russians don't?
By clicking on one of the digital signal processing options, a computer algorithm will process the signal. Computerized filters can be used in combination to achieve the best radar-reflection signal.

Digital Signal Processing is a science based on mathematics.

Discrete Fourier Transforms (DFT) are used. Also, the Laplace Transform is common too.

I suggest you read the following reference: A Beginner's Guide to Digital Signal Processing (DSP) | Design Center | Analog Devices

In contrast, the Russian guy is turning a few knobs on his ANALOG control panel trying to obtain a better signal.

Martian

Respected Member
China placed 32 HQ-9 surface-to-air missiles on Yongxing Island (aka Woody Island).

Martian

Respected Member
On another forum, there is confusion about the difference of a digital-based Chinese HQ-9 versus an analog-based Russian S-300. I've replicated my answer here to help clear up the confusion.
----------

"However, your claim of copying is wrong.

As I have shown in this thread, the Chinese HQ-9 is digital-based. The Russian S-300 is analog-based. They are two completely different things. It's like comparing an electronic fuel injection system (digital) to a carburetor (analog).

No one claims that an electronic fuel injection system is a copy of a carburetor. Except you, but that's because you're ignorant."

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles