China's arming Pakistan makes it a 'second class enemy': Ratan Tata

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod

NEW DELHI: China's assisting and arming Pakistan has made "it a second class enemy", but its economic strength overpowering India is not a real concern, according to Tata Group chairman Ratan Tata.

"China has of course been assisting and arming Pakistan, which is like a red flag to India and that already makes it a second class enemy," Tata said in an interview telecast on Bloomberg UTV.

Describing India-China relationship as "not adversarial, but it is not the best", Tata, however, added, "you know China has never done anything adversarial to India, and India, I think, has been more concerned about China's economic strength overpowering India, which we really don't see."

When asked if he is worried about China, he said: "No, I am not worried. I wish we could find a way to be allies with China." Exuding confidence about India, Tata said: "I really do believe, deep down inside, that...the Indian tiger has not been unleashed."

He, however, said: "I would prefer to use China as a very strong ally, to forge a relationship with China which would be a sustaining one and I think it could be done."

Explaining the complex nature of relationship between the two countries, he said: "I think there is a concern on part of India that China is trying to dominate the region (Asia) and there is an equal concern on the part of China that India is trying to dominate the region."

Commenting on China as a car market, Tata said: "It is a very difficult country to sell cars from outside. JLR, which we have now acquired, is setting up a plant in China because China wants those cars but not Tata Motors."

He said the Tata group would be looking to source automobile parts from China, which has made lot of progress in in the sector. "If you look at what China has done in the automotive area in a short period of time, they have produced cars which in fact exceeds what India did in the same period of time," Tata said.

"We will now be sourcing sub-assemblies from China, for Indian cars. We will buy things like automatic transmission, things which India doesn't yet produce...at prices that are unbelievable which will help us," he added.

On global economic scenario, Tata said it is "a little grim".

According to him, Europe and the UK will face a "hard recovery" and it is going to take "a lot of efforts, a lot of sacrifice, a lot of pain". However, the US is going to recover faster than the Europe and "part of it going to be the innovativeness, that is embedded in the US in the sense of entrepreneurship," he said.

Tata said there are opportunities in Asia, Africa and some parts of Latin America. "Asian countries may be finding more trade between themselves that they did before," he added.

"So you got a shift of industrial activity, economic growth moving to these so called South-South areas," Tata said.

mattster

Respected Member
Country flag
I am really surprised to hear from Tata that no one in India can produce an automatic transmission. With all the might of Tata's R&D and manufacturing - they still have to import auto transmissions ?

It seems to me that Indian conglomerates are always happy picking the low hanging fruit when it comes to design and manufacturing until someone comes along and challenges them on their home turf. As long as they can make money on the low hanging fruit - they will not venture into more advanced stuff.

trackwhack

Should RT get into politics now that he has is stepping down as Chairman of the group?

ajtr

Tihar Jail
Banned
I dont understand why Indians cry hoarse on china or even USA arming Pakistan.If you have guts and spine then start arming Vietnam Philippines with nuke.if you cant even do that much then dont cry on self created plight otherwise keep quite and accept you defeated fate.

Last edited:

ani82v

Country flag
It is surprising to find an Indian business tycoon to comment on China and Pakistan in this sense. Not many have ventured in this area.

Zebra

Country flag
^^ Not a bad idea.
We have to wait till 2014.
Who knows , may be NaMo manage to get in as PM and he offer RT to join the government.

ajtr

Tihar Jail
Banned
^^ Not a bad idea.
We have to wait till 2014.
Who knows , may be NaMo manage to get in as PM and he offer RT to join the government.
Modi will have deep relation with china than usa/west.. refusal of visa by usa will sure linger on his mind and he will seek his revenge on usa.

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
Modi will have deep relation with china than usa/west.. refusal of visa by usa will sure linger on his mind and he will seek his revenge on usa.
modi is not one of yours to have such a small-minded attitude - he will im sure at the right time forgive them - that's the indian style and different from your folks

Apollyon

Führer
Country flag
pakistan is a Chinese stooge against India and thus a second class enemy, i totally agree with Ratan Tata

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
NEW DELHI: China's assisting and arming Pakistan has made "it a second class enemy", but its economic strength overpowering India is not a real concern, according to Tata Group chairman Ratan Tata. .
partial quote
RT is being diplomatic given the location of his interview - the right thing to do - lots of respect for him

ground reality is - border transgressions - SCS belligerence

dragon has never done anything adversarial to india ? ???? - more diplomacy for the moment

anyway sincere Kudos to him for venturing in to a tough place by acquiring JLR to act on their behalf .

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
I am really surprised to hear from Tata that no one in India can produce an automatic transmission. With all the might of Tata's R&D and manufacturing - they still have to import auto transmissions ?

It seems to me that Indian conglomerates are always happy picking the low hanging fruit when it comes to design and manufacturing until someone comes along and challenges them on their home turf. As long as they can make money on the low hanging fruit - they will not venture into more advanced stuff.
regarding the transmission gear - i think what he rather meant was - at those "unbelievably low prices "

as for picking "low fruit" - it's a interesting point - you "might " be right , i have no opinion on that , hehehehehehe

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
I dont understand why Indians cry hoarse on china or even USA arming Pakistan.If you have guts and spine then start arming Vietnam Philippines with nuke.if you cant even do that much then dont cry on self created plight otherwise keep quite and accept you defeated fate.
sorry - it seems i have a bit of free time today

reality shows otherwise, rather than "defeated fate" as you claim , the opposite is proving more and more true every passing month - - the US takes india's statements about pak harbouring terrorists - VERY SERIOUSLY -

Tolaha

regarding the transmission gear - i think what he rather meant was - at those "unbelievably low prices "

as for picking "low fruit" - it's a interesting point - you "might " be right , i have no opinion on that , hehehehehehe
Exactly, the stress here is on those "unbelievable prices" phrase. There are many reasons why China produces things at a much lower cost than other countries. India can try to emulate them. While some steps can be taken by the industrialists themselves, most of them need to be done by the government. There are a few however that only China can do and is not worth emulating!

On the original post, surprising that Ratan Tata considered answering in that manner. As some posters suggested, maybe he is thinking of venturing into new areas post retirement. Not a bad career switch at all!

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
......... the second rate enemy.....

But Kabeer has said that:

Tinakaa Kabahun Na Nindaye, jo Panw Tale Hoya
Kabahoon Urha Aankhon Pare, Peer Ghaneri Hoya

( do not annoy even a dust partiicle even if it is under your feet. When the same particle gets into your eye, it pains quite a lot)

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
Every country would welcome him if he becomes a PM... cant say about Pakis... I can understand the nightmares you are getting just reading "Modi as PM". :lol:

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
Good to hear some meaningful views of Rattan Tata. By calling Pakistan a second rate enemy, it is a call for Indian defense establishment to move on to the first rate or real enemy. Surprisingly, he does not call China that. It seems he has something in mind !!

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
China is a clever coot!

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles