China - World's greatest Copycat

EnlightenedMonk

Member of The Month JULY 2009

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
sorry guys had some problems with uploading here are the pictures

......pictures restored

Country flag
there are international patent laws but i guess things like that don't matter.

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
As far as I know Chinese authorities do not recognise international patents or trademarks.

ShyAngel

Founding Member
Ummmm since when they stop riding on bicycle? he he he

Who is number one in making duplicateS???????

C
H
I
N
A

Beware folks it might stop at middle of busy road or somewhere!

ShyAngel

Founding Member
Hmmm... so, obviously, weapons are not the only things they copy.... :D:D:D:D:D:D

They don't even have the capability to make a motorbike using their own knowledge and imagination and creativity, even that has to be copied....
Seriously speaking the only thing that they have is TEA. And that too isn't as good as Indian. So basically they have nothing. I think our elder generations know them very well that they had never trust them. And the only thing that have is the cheap labour. You will see many of these cheap labour in New York as well. Who were imported from China to build their dirty subway. In Tibet 5th Dalai Lama brought some of these cheap labour from china and made them build Potala Palace as well.

bhramos

Country flag
China attempts to copy South African weapons now

China attempts to copy South African weapons now?

China has had a number of dealings with South African weapons manufacturers over the past decade, most of which have not resulted in actual weapons purchases. However, several recent China-made military technologies bear suspicious resemblances to their South African counterparts.

In 2008, China acquired a fourth-generation air-to-air missile equipped with a thrust-vector control engine. The PL-10, or PL-ASR, is comparable to the U.S.-made AIM-9X air-to-air missile, or AAM.

According to a representative from the South African Denel Group, the PL-ASR is almost a replica of its A-Darter AAM. The Denel representative told the author during an interview in Cape Town that the Chinese had contacted the company in 2001 to explore the possibility of importing fifth-generation A-Darter infrared-guided AAMs, which included a TVC propulsion system and pilot helmet-mounted displays.

In the end, Denel did not sell the technologies to China, which it regards as its key competitor in selling air-to-air missiles on the African market. Company engineers were therefore surprised to find that the Chinese PL-ASR is nearly identical to the A-Darter in exterior structure, tail engine and even the diameter of the missile body.

The company strongly suspects that China reverse-engineered its A-Darter AAM after acquiring its technological materials.

This fits a pattern that China has followed in acquiring military technologies from many sources. When seeking a new technology, China contacts a foreign manufacturer and requests substantial technical information about its product, supposedly with the intent to buy. Instead, Chinese engineers study the materials and imitate the relevant concepts and designs.

Something similar occurred in the course of China’s development of a combat helicopter. In 1996 China and South Africa signed a memorandum to jointly develop a combat helicopter, when China was in the process of building its ZW-10 helicopter.

After being given a focused inspection of the Rooivalk combat helicopter’s subsystems, China wanted to purchase one helicopter from Denel, but the South African company considered the purchase of a single aircraft the equivalent of giving away its technologies. As a result, Denel decided not to sell China the helicopter and the cooperation came to an end.

Another item that appears to have been copied from South Africa is the optical-electronic pod on China’s ZW-9 combat helicopter, which bears a strong resemblance to the Leo-II serial O/E pods produced by the Zeiss Company.

Technical experts from the Zeiss Company told the author that about seven to eight years ago Zeiss exported two sets of an earlier variant of the Leo-II O/E pods to China, intended for use on helicopters. According to the source, the Chinese side explained that they needed a large number of this type of O/E pods for civilian helicopters, and therefore would like to purchase two sets initially for testing purposes. The source said the Chinese took no further action after receiving the test pods.

Currently, both the ZW-10 and the night version, the ZW-9, are equipped with O/E detectors very similar to those on the Leo-II.

China’s interest is not only in the O/E pod technologies used for helicopters. Chinese manufacturers have also engaged in active discussions with South Africa in hopes of acquiring TV video cameras and second-generation thermal imaging cameras used in Denel’s Seeker II unmanned air vehicle surveillance system.

The top military technology that China aspires to acquire from South Africa is without doubt the unmanned air vehicle. China’s New Era Group Corporation had several rounds of negotiations with Denel on the possibility of producing in China two types of Denel UAVs, which were on display at the 2006 Zhuhai Air Show, called the Golden Eagle and the Seeker II.

China hopes to obtain the technologies to assemble these two UAVs domestically. However, according to a source from the Denel Group, negotiations on the UAV deals have come to a halt and the company has decided that unless substantial progress is made on these negotiations, the company no longer wants to spend time dealing with the Chinese.

Denel had a similar experience in trying to negotiate a deal with Chinese company Norinco for its Mokopa anti-tank missiles. The Chinese company expressed an interest in importing Denel’s technologies, but once again the negotiations ended with no result.

Since 2007, Norinco has attempted to contact the Denel Group again, saying that it wants to import the company’s G5 155-mm howitzer ammunition handling system. But Denel is not eager to enter into an agreement with China on this project; Chinese-made 155-mm howitzers have already appeared in quite a number of countries in Northern Africa, including Algeria, Sudan and Egypt.

The source from Denel did disclose that the company has successfully completed a deal with China for its 35-mm multirole machine gun. This technology in fact was exported to China 10 years ago. China seems to have upgraded this 35-mm gun to an air-defense machine gun.

China’s New Era Group Corporation has also been negotiating with Denel for the transfer of African Eagle UAV technologies. The Chinese introductory brochure of the cooperation program claims that the African Eagle UAV is capable of taking a payload of 500 kilograms, which could be six Mokopa anti-tank missiles or two Umbani MK 81 precision-guided bombs. The theoretical combat radius of the African Eagle is 750 kilometers.

China also hopes to obtain the South African Angel high-altitude and high-speed UAV attacker system. This attacker UAV is capable of carrying precision-guided weapons and attacking targets 1,400 kilometers away. The UAV is also capable of carrying A-Darter AAMs to launch unmanned aerial attacks.

The Angel attacker and reconnaissance UAV is equipped with aperture radar and is capable of conducting tactical reconnaissance missions. It can also be fitted with Mokopa active laser-guided anti-tank missiles to attack armored combat groups.

Nonetheless, the source from Denel disclosed that no substantial progress has been made on this project, indicating it may end up as one more failed deal. It remains to be seen whether China’s latest explorations with the company will yield technological information it can convert to its own purposes, however.

--

(Andrei Chang is editor-in-chief of Kanwa Defense Review Monthly, registered in Toronto, Canada.)

http://www.idrw.org/2009/01/07/china_attempts_to_copy_south_african_weapons_now.html

ahmedsid

Top Gun
Is this an old article? I read it some months back somewhere else.

Well there is nothing to be surprised about, the Chinese are....... Chinese :)

EnlightenedMonk

Why am I not surprised by this???

:blum3::blum3::blum3::blum3::blum3::blum3::blum3:

yang

After seeing many posts related to China,If they are all true,I may feel shamful for them,but forgive me,I can't.For the articals are all clips from the Western media,I doubt the reality of the articals,according to the boycott of Beijing Olympic Games ,and the lies made by them,I can hardly trust them anymore.The right to speak is held in their hands,we can't handle the public opinion.And on the other hand,the people will also doubt the safety of their defence system,and as we all know,the IT comes from them,and the latest IT comes from their department.And South Africa always don't get on well with Chinese gov or the local Chinese,how can we get access to their tech.

EnlightenedMonk

Yang, your government has been in contact with many South African contractors and companies and has had close views of their systems... and now, suddenly all those same systems are reverse engineered in your country...

yang

Deep inside,I see our nation as a poor guilty victim.About one year ago,during that period ,in the international media,many countries said they have catch the Chinese spys,first Germany,they said a girl from China who was doing her field work in Germany famous car company,but even her classmates and teachers can't believe she was a spy,and why she is mistrusted by the Germany,because she was doubt to have store some information in her note PC,but the Germany actually didn't find any evidence of her to be a spy.Then ,the reports came from America,several ethnic Chinese scientists were arrested in charge of beint spy,but the police can't find the evidence ,too,they have to release them.

Country flag
yang in a lot of ways I feeL India should copy China and also reverse engineer.

EnlightenedMonk

Yang, my friend, spying is a different issue, blatantly copying without regards to intellectual property is quite another issue...

We all know of Chinese spies... nothing new about it...

NO LF !!! That would be extremely immoral... we should outright ask for help from willing countries like Russia to go in for Joint Ventures so that in the long run, we'll have the intelligentsia to make new innovative weapons...

Copying might be beneficial to the Chinese in the short run, but as more countries become smarter, they'll stop selling or even showing technicalities of the weapons to the Chinese...

Country flag
The reason I say that Monk is by hook or by Crook(more often) China always seems to get the what they want.

EnlightenedMonk

I agree, for now, they seem to be winning, but always remember, their stuff is copied and reverse-engineered... they don't know what it means to innovate and build products from scratch... they're just a superfast production-line...

When other countries realise what they're doing and become smarter in the way they deal with the Chinese or outrightly deny them any cutting-edge technology, I think China will stand exposed...

We ought not to do anything of that sort...

As an example, just take ISRO... they achieved all that they did without an iota of outside help... and we're proud of that...

EnlightenedMonk

Our country is full of smart people, we need to take such immoral and fraudulent paths to achieve cheap ends... we have very smart engineers and they can make 155mm Howitzers which are much more effective and efficient than the Africans do... we just ought to give them some support...

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles