China unveils its fastest supercomputer-Tianhe

AkhandBharat

It will use CPUs invented by China ourselves.
LOL, its more like an unlicenced manufacturing of an X86-64 instruction set architecture with 4 cores that dont even support hardware multithreading. Care to explain what China invented here? If anything, they are a generation behind Intel core 2 Quad.

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
LOL, its more like an unlicenced manufacturing of an X86-64 instruction set architecture with 4 cores that dont even support hardware multithreading. Care to explain what China invented here? If anything, they are a generation behind Intel core 2 Quad.
Nope. Loongsun is based on the MIPS architecture, it emulates x86. In a very crappy way though. But since supercomputers don't explicitly need x86, it shouldn't matter.

AkhandBharat

Nope. Loongsun is based on the MIPS architecture, it emulates x86. In a very crappy way though. But since supercomputers don't explicitly need x86, it shouldn't matter.
My bad about the x86 instruction set support. Either way, there is no invention here, since MIPS instruction set is again a copy. No "invention" here.

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
Since you are not sure about your source,why don't you do some google and read?
No, I categorically state that I am absolutely sure that the supercomputer in the news article (1st post) is Milkyway 1. Maybe it's also known as Tianhe.

Vladimir79

Professional
Mr. Vladimir will build us a supercomputer with Xbox before the next supercomputer rankings before we go swallowing CCP pills.:goodstuff::goodstuff::goodstuff:
The CCP pill seems to have prematurerly broken its capsule. 560 teraflops is not a petaflop. At less than 10% efficiency of the hardware provided they seem to have much to be desired. When IBM is coming out with a 20 petaflop computer it seems China, and the rest of the world, are falling behind. Personally, I don't see the need for national races to see who can come up with the fastest SCs when we are all just going to be buying Amerikan CPUs and GPUs. If you can develop your own hardware, good for you, but the experts here seem to scoff at the idea.

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
My bad about the x86 instruction set support. Either way, there is no invention here, since MIPS instruction set is again a copy. No "invention" here.
MIPS is older than x86. So it's not a copy of x86, if that's what you were telling.

AkhandBharat

I was saying that designing a MIPS based microprocessor is also a copy just as an x86 processor design is. Thus refuting the argument that China invented something.

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
I was saying that designing a MIPS based microprocessor is also a copy just as an x86 processor design is. Thus refuting the argument that China invented something.
That is true. MIPS is an open architecture. Anyone with the investment can sell a processor based on that.

Vladimir79

Professional
Just as I figured --- so begs the question. Should we be impressed with their ability to pirate and copy for this project using Western hardware?

masterofsea

If you don't know what is computer architecture,the best way for you is shut up and read other people's post.

Let me tell you what is a computer architecture.

If softwares is a British.CPU is a Indian.they can't understand each other.But they have a translator(computer architecture)r,the translater can be X86 or MIPS or PowerPC or ARM.
The Brithish(software) give the order,the architecture translate it in to Hindi,and then the Indian do what the British told her to do.

theoretically,any people could invent an architecture.But few software can suppot them.The X86 is most popular architecture.But MIPs also do well.Apple mac use CPUs under PowerPC architecture.

China choose the MIPS as our Loongson's architecture for two reason.The stablity of MIPS is better than X86(MIPS is mainly use in servers rather than PCs),and the software compatibility is better than others.(Unix/linux is compatible with MIPS).

AkhandBharat

Just as I figured --- so begs the question. Should we be impressed with their ability to pirate and copy for this project using Western hardware?
MIPS is a licenced architecture so technically they are not committing piracy here (just like everyone can contribute to or modify the Linux operating system and sell it).

Its akin to China understanding how the gears fit in a RD-33 engine and licence manufacturing it. There is no invention here, so no there is no reason to be impressed with anything.

AkhandBharat

If you don't know what is computer architecture,the best way for you is shut up and read other people's post.

Let me tell you what is a computer architecture.

If softwares is a British.CPU is a Indian.they can't understand each other.But they have a translator(computer architecture)r,the translater can be X86 or MIPS or PowerPC or ARM.
The Brithish(software) give the order,the architecture translate it in to Hindi,and then the Indian do what the British told her to do.

theoretically,any people could invent an architecture.But few software can suppot them.The X86 is most popular architecture.But MIPs also do well.Apple mac use CPUs under PowerPC architecture.

China choose the MIPS as our Loongson's architecture for two reason.The stablity of MIPS is better than X86(MIPS is mainly use in servers rather than PCs),and the software compatibility is better others.(Unix/linux is compatible with MIPS).
I was studying computer architecture when you were learning your ABC. This post will circulate amongst my friends as a hoarse frothing rant by another CCP drone.

There is no such thing as stability in instruction set design. Your post identifies you as a sheep wearing a wolf's skin (in other words you dont know the basics of computer science and are a google retard).

More complex instructions require complex ALU unit. MIPS (ultimately RISC) is based on a basic instruction set, with more complex instructions implemented in software and emulated (which is then broken down into the RISC instructions). RISC architecture provides a very fundamental advantage to server farms. The instructions are simple and hence the instructions take few cycles to execute. This means that more instructions can be pipelined easily and this can achieve more parallelism per core. Transmeta is a good example. They were in fact trying to take it further by using VLIW instruction computing (morphing multiple instructions into one) by dynamic compilation and heuristics.Now that is what I would call invention. Its not about software compatibility, neither is it about stability. Its about achieving parallelism by pipelining more instructions together in a single core.

In other words, think of RISC as little Chinamen lifting little loads but moving faster in a pipe compared to fat americans lifting heavy load but moving slowly in a pipe. Both need compilers (software typically written by Indians) to make the chinese move faster in the pipeline so that they can give a better efficiency compared to americans moving in the pipeline.

Another retarded argument. Anyone can invent an architecture? Then why is Von-Neuman model the only turing machine ever built? Anyone can invent an instruction set. And intel's instruction set got complicated by the day, which is the reason for this alternative RISC design proposed.

So, coming back to my question. What did China invent here? Zilch, nada, nothing.

masterofsea

I was studying computer architecture when you were learning your ABC. This post will circulate amongst my friends as a hoarse frothing rant by another CCP drone.

Another retarded argument. Anyone can invent an architecture? Then why is Von-Neuman model the only turing machine ever built? Anyone can invent an instruction set. And intel's instruction set got complicated by the day, which is the reason for this alternative RISC design proposed.
If china didn't invented that computer,who invented it?

You use some English words and composed them then your call it your post.If I said that is not your post,that is just someone's shit.Could you agree with me?

AkhandBharat

China licence manufactured it. There is no invention. Get yourself a dictionary. :sun_bespectacled:

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
China licence manufactured it. There is no invention. Get yourself a dictionary. :sun_bespectacled:
The architecture is licensed, the design is indigenous. So while they can't use the word 'invented', they certainly can use the word 'developed'.

Rage

DFI TEAM
Indian IT/Computer industry can keep surviving on borrowed "low cost" jobs, while our neighbour keeps creating new milestones. State of Indian R&D is absolutely pathetic when compared to China.

Don't knock the $hit G, when you don't know it. India's R&D may be behind China's at the moment, but it's certainly far from "absoloutely pathetic". Check this out for a change:

TOP SUPERCOMPUTERS-INDIA

Supercomputers are developing, and fast- year on year. Indian supercomputers have regularly made the list in the last few years. A ranking in late 2007 saw 9 Indian systems on the top 500 supercomputers list, with 10 systems for China, 11 for Taiwan and 20 for Japan:

India supercomputer makes top-10 'most powerful' list

This may seem to represent a 'quantum' leap for the moment (literally eh?) but back in 2004, there was news of Japan working on a ten- petaflop supercomputer that could process 10 quadrillion calculations (10 x 10^15 flops/sec) per second, that is due in the 2012 timeframe and will take supercomputers to a whole new level.

Prior to China's one-quadrillion teraflops per second (1 x 10^15 flops/sec) supercomputer, India's 'eka', with an Rpeak of 172.6 teraflops (172.60 x 10^12 flops/sec) was the "fastest in Asia and the 4th fastest in the world". Hit this up for size:

Welcome to Computational Research Laboratories

Rage

DFI TEAM
I think people have forgotten about the PARAM. India made its supercomputer ages back. So people, dont keep criticizing our nation for nothing.

The PA RAM is an outdated piece of architecture. Since then, we've had supercomputers more than 20 times its power, with the 'Dhruva' for instance developed by the Centre for High Performance Computing and Research ; and most recently with the eKA, that broke into the world's most powerful ten supercomputers' list at 4th position in November 2007.

In the meantime, the director for the the Advanced Numerical Research and Analysis Group has assured us that more indigenous programs for CFD design for aircraft and airborne systems, simulation complex systems and molecular modelling and bio-informatic applications exist.

Vladimir79

Professional
Supercomputers are developing, and fast- year on year. Indian supercomputers have regularly made the list in the last few years. A ranking in late 2007 saw 9 Indian systems on the top 500 supercomputers list, with 10 systems for China, 11 for Taiwan and 20 for Japan:
You might want to look at the latest, 6 for India, 21 for China.

You can check here...

Sublist Generator | TOP500 Supercomputing Sites

Global Defence

New threads

Articles