China unfurls its flag on Moon during Chang'e-5 mission, becomes 2nd nation to do so

skywatcher

Country flag
As far as I know, JAXA has a space station module on ISS but without independent manned space capabilities. JAXA most renowned space missions are those asteroid sample return missions and nothing else and maybe some lunar orbiters JAXA has a not-that-bad cryogenic engine for their H2 rocket. Can anyone tell us more about their "innovative" achievements that I unintentionally ignore?

skywatcher

Country flag
As far as I know, JAXA has a space station module on ISS but without independent manned space capabilities. JAXA most renowned space missions are those asteroid sample return missions and nothing else and maybe some lunar orbiters JAXA has a not-that-bad cryogenic engine for their H2 rocket. Can anyone tell us more about their "innovative" achievements that I unintentionally ignore?
Needless to say, All the Japanese rocket engine technologies are derived from Americans.

skywatcher

Country flag
Needless to say, All the Japanese rocket engine technologies are derived from Americans.
In terms of pure civilian space technologies, JAXA may be superior in some non-mainstream areas. Overall, they're vulnerable and lack resources.

skywatcher

Country flag
As I said, all the rockets should be reusable in the 2030s or it's out of date. That's why SLS is so controversial that faces many domestic criticisms. because it does not look like a modern rocket. The only advantage is that SLS can get humans back to Moon as soon as possible.
Not far from now, space access will be as affordable as airliners. That's why any non-reusable rockets have no future.

skywatcher

Country flag
But cryogenic engines with large thrust, say LOX/LH2 or LOX/LCH4 powered, are still necessary for CNSA.

skywatcher

Country flag
That's why CNSA is currently developing the 220 ton thrust YF90 LOX/LH2 cryogenic engines that will be used on the super heavy Long March 9 whose design has not yet been finalized. So I don't know if it is partially reusable. If it were non-reusable as SLS, that'd be a disappointment as I said earlier.

skywatcher

Country flag
That's why CNSA is currently developing the 220 ton thrust YF90 LOX/LH2 cryogenic engines that will be used on the super heavy Long March 9 whose design has not yet been finalized. So I don't know if it is partially reusable. If it were non-reusable as SLS, that'd be a disappointment as I said earlier.
Unlike those kerolox engiens such as YF100 in service or the 500 ton thrust YF130 under development, the cryogenic YF90 is neither derived from Russian RD0120 nor American SSME. It has to be purely indigenous.

skywatcher

Country flag
Unlike those kerolox engiens such as YF100 in service or the 500 ton thrust YF130 under development, the cryogenic YF90 is neither derived from Russian RD0120 nor American SSME. It has to be purely indigenous.
the other interesting aspect is the methane powered rocket

skywatcher

Country flag
Chinese private space launch company Landspace is developing an 80 ton thrust methane engines TQ-12.
I'd say this is the largest thrust methane engine from Asia. I haven't heard any more powerful methane engines under development from Japan or India or any other country. Tell me if you know anything new. Because this is all I know so far.

skywatcher

Country flag
I'd say this is the largest thrust methane engine from Asia. I haven't heard any more powerful methane engines under development from Japan or India or any other country. Tell me if you know anything new. Because this is all I know so far.
CNSA(more specifically, CNSA's major contractors CASC and CASIC) itself also develop their own versions of methane engines. but I'm not familiar with them.

skywatcher

Country flag
CNSA(more specifically, CNSA's major contractors CASC and CASIC) itself also develop their own versions of methane engines. but I'm not familiar with them.
I'll let you guys know I have anything new.

skywatcher

Country flag
maybe what Landspace is developing is just a medium lift launcher, with 6 tons payload capacity to LEO, nothing shocking.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles