China Sentences Three Activists

Srinivas_K

Country flag
China Sentences Three Activists

BEIJING — Three activists in China who had demanded that public officials disclose their assets were sentenced on Thursday to prison, according to one of their lawyers and a daughter of one of the defendants.

"I think it's ridiculous," said Liao Minyue, 21, the daughter of Liu Ping, 49, who received a sentence of six and a half years at the Yushui District Court in Xinyu, a town in Jiangxi Province. "I'm so angry I don't even know what to say."

All three activists were sentenced for "picking quarrels and provoking trouble," Ms. Liao said. Other charges included gathering a crowd to disrupt order and "using an evil cult to undermine law enforcement."

They had been part of a nationwide asset-disclosure-advocacy movement that drew special disfavor from the government.

Another activist, Wei Zhongping, was also sentenced to six and a half years. The third, Li Sihua, received three years.

The sentencing, six months after the trial concluded, was announced with less than 48 hours' notice via a text message from the court.

Pu Zhiqiang, a lawyer for Mr. Li, was himself recently arrested and is facing trial.
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/19/world/asia/china-sentences-three-activists.html?_r=0

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
The public officials are Communists.

And Communists can do no wrong!

Global Defence

New threads

Articles