China seething after India issues visa to Uyghur freedom fighters

Syama Ayas

Country flag
  • Sutirtho Patranobis, Hindustan Times, Beijing
    |
  • Updated: Apr 22, 2016 11:14 IST

China is angered over India’s decision to issue a visa to Uyghur activist Dolkun Isa, who Beijing has branded a terrorist. (Photo Courtesy: Dolkun Isa’s Twitter handle)
China: Exiled Uyghurs demand probe into 2009 ethnic riots

Exiled Uyghur activists say the violence is result of Beijing’s hardline policies and a reaction against the government’s efforts to subsume the unique local culture.

The venue for the conference Dharamsala, of course, is the seat of the Tibetan government-in-exile where between April 28 and May 1, exiled Chinese activists from across the world will gather to discuss democratic transition in China.

The Dharamsala-based Tibetan spiritual leader, Dalai Lama, labelled a “separatist” and “wolf in sheep’s clothing” by China is also expected to address the gathering.

The controversy comes at a time when India has been repeatedly raised the issue of China blocking New Delhi’s move to sanction Jaish-e-Mohammad (JeM) chief Masood Azhar at the UN.

Read :‘Policies in Xinjiang brutal, cause trauma among Uyghurs’

This new issue coupled with the question over Masood Azhar doesn’t particularly make smooth the path for Indian President Pranab Mukherjee’s visit to China in late May.

Beijing’s brief reaction to the conference was couched in diplomatic language but reflected their anger.

“Dolkun Isa is a terrorist on red notice of Interpol and the Chinese police. Bringing him to justice is a due obligation of relevant countries,” China’s ministry of foreign affairs told HT in an emailed response late on Thursday.

He is accused of terrorism and bombing and was granted asylum in Germany in the late 1990s.

The conference is being organised by the US-based “Citizen Power for China” led by Yang Jianli, who was involved in the 1989 Tiananmen Square protests.

On his part, the exiled Uyghur, Munich-based Dolkun Isa confirmed to HT over email that he has received an electronic visa from India and is looking forward to his first visit to the country.

“Yes, I am invited one of the conference in Dharamsala which will be held between 28 April and May 1. I am planning to go, so i have got the electronic visa for India,” he told HT.

“I really want to visit India because I have never been India,” he said, adding: “India is one of my dream courtiers to visit”.

Dolkun said India and East Turkistan – which is the historical name of the country that China says separatist Uyghurs from Xinjiang are fighting for – had good relations.

“I would like to enjoy India’s culture. East Turkistan and India had a long and very good relationship in the history. Uyghurs love India’s people,” he said.

Talking about India and China, Dolkun said: “India is the world’s largest democratic nation and second big population after China. But China is still under totalitarian rule. India has the responsibility to teach democracy to China”.

About problems in visiting other countries because of the Interpol notice against him, he said he has to be careful with his travel plans.

“The Chinese government has made me an accused with Interpol and my name is on Red (corner) notice. Because of this, I have faced troubles in some countries’ immigration. I was detained at the border of some countries. I have to be careful about travelling except in the European Union,” he said.

World Uyghur Congress, spokesperson, Dilxat Raxit told HT that he hoped that the Indian government was following the situation of Uyghurs in Xinjiang and voices its solidarity with their fight for justice.

@Srinivas_K @Neytiri @HariPrasad-1 @raja696 @ezsasa @AbRaj
@aliyah @garg_bharat
Modi Govt keeping up its standards of quick and decisive action.
:balleballe:

Last edited:

Mikesingh

Professional
Country flag
“Dolkun Isa is a terrorist on red notice of Interpol and the Chinese police. Bringing him to justice is a due obligation of relevant countries,” China’s ministry of foreign affairs told HT in an emailed response late on Thursday.
Really? What has China done about Azhar, JeM Chief of the terrorist organization which has been banned by the UN? It even prevented UN application of sanctions against him recently.

This is nothing but blatant hypocrisy on the part of the Chinese. What's sauce for the goose should be sauce for the gander. We need to grow some balls to deal with the Chinese in similar fashion.

cannonfodder

Country flag
I am celebrating after reading this news.. now also please invite baloch freedom fighters.:daru:

We should hold such co-ordial meetings for friends from China and Pakistan every year.:pound::pound:

|

China is angered over India’s decision to issue a visa to Uyghur activist Dolkun Isa, who Beijing has branded a terrorist. (Photo Courtesy: Dolkun Isa’s Twitter handle)

Exiled Uyghur activists say the violence is result of Beijing’s hardline policies and a reaction against the government’s efforts to subsume the unique local culture.

The venue for the conference Dharamsala, of course, is the seat of the Tibetan government-in-exile where between April 28 and May 1, exiled Chinese activists from across the world will gather to discuss democratic transition in China.

The Dharamsala-based Tibetan spiritual leader, Dalai Lama, labelled a “separatist” and “wolf in sheep’s clothing” by China is also expected to address the gathering.

The controversy comes at a time when India has been repeatedly raised the issue of China blocking New Delhi’s move to sanction Jaish-e-Mohammad (JeM) chief Masood Azhar at the UN.

This new issue coupled with the question over Masood Azhar doesn’t particularly make smooth the path for Indian President Pranab Mukherjee’s visit to China in late May.

Beijing’s brief reaction to the conference was couched in diplomatic language but reflected their anger.

He is accused of terrorism and bombing and was granted asylum in Germany in the late 1990s.

The conference is being organised by the US-based “Citizen Power for China” led by Yang Jianli, who was involved in the 1989 Tiananmen Square protests.

On his part, the exiled Uyghur, Munich-based Dolkun Isa confirmed to HT over email that he has received an electronic visa from India and is looking forward to his first visit to the country.

“Yes, I am invited one of the conference in Dharamsala which will be held between 28 April and May 1. I am planning to go, so i have got the electronic visa for India,” he told HT.

“I really want to visit India because I have never been India,” he said, adding: “India is one of my dream courtiers to visit”.

Dolkun said India and East Turkistan – which is the historical name of the country that China says separatist Uyghurs from Xinjiang are fighting for – had good relations.

“I would like to enjoy India’s culture. East Turkistan and India had a long and very good relationship in the history. Uyghurs love India’s people,” he said.

Talking about India and China, Dolkun said: “India is the world’s largest democratic nation and second big population after China. But China is still under totalitarian rule. India has the responsibility to teach democracy to China”.

About problems in visiting other countries because of the Interpol notice against him, he said he has to be careful with his travel plans.

“The Chinese government has made me an accused with Interpol and my name is on Red (corner) notice. Because of this, I have faced troubles in some countries’ immigration. I was detained at the border of some countries. I have to be careful about travelling except in the European Union,” he said.

World Uyghur Congress, spokesperson, Dilxat Raxit told HT that he hoped that the Indian government was following the situation of Uyghurs in Xinjiang and voices its solidarity with their fight for justice.

@aliyah @garg_bharat

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
    |

@aliyah @garg_bharat
We need to ask him that which international agency has declare him terrorist and when interpol issued red corner notice on his/her.

Bornubus

Chodi Bhakt & BJPig Hunter
Direct attack by Doval to Chinese blockaded at UN against Jihadi Azhar Masoud.

It's a signal that India can go to any extent more than little chini mind can ever comprehend.

Last edited by a moderator:

garg_bharat

Country flag
China better change its policy for Pakistan. If China dreams about a Pakistan that causes long term harm to India, the situation will reverse and China will be left holding the bag of a destitute Pakistan for a long time.

China thinks it can survive anything. I see the communist China collapsing within 10 years.

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
India allows visit of leader whom China claims is a ‘terrorist’; Is this retaliation for Masood Azhar? - The Indian Express

China had blocked a ban on Jaish-e-Muhammad chief Masood Azhar in the UN, preventing him from being put on the UN terror list
BY: PTI | BEIJING |UPDATED: APRIL 22, 2016 11:51 AM
China today aired its concern over World Uyghur Congress (WUC) leader Dolkun Isa’s reported visit to India, saying he is a “terrorist” on Interpol’s Red Corner and it is the obligation of all countries to bring him to justice.
“I am not aware of the situation,” Foreign Ministry spokesperson Hua Chunying told PTI in a written response when asked about the reports that WUC leaders including Dolkun were given permission to meet the Dalai Lama later this month.
“What I want to point out is that Dolkun is a terrorist in red notice of the Interpol and Chinese police. Bringing him to justice is due obligation of relevant countries,” Hua said.

Related

India’s decision to permit WUC leaders whom China regards as backers of terrorism in its volatile Muslim-dominated Xinjiang province was reported to be in response to Beijing’s blocking a ban on Jaish-e-Muhammad chief Masood Azhar in the UN.
Xinjiang, which has over 10 million Uyghur population of Turkik origin Muslims, was on the boil for several years over Uyghur protests against the large-scale settlements of Hans from different part of the country.
China blames East Turkistan Islamic Movement (ETIM), a militant Islamist group, for terrorist attacks in Xinjiang and other parts of the country.

:rofl:
Chinese dissidents to meet in India to seek "democracy" - Deccan Herald

New Delhi not only gave its go-ahead to the organisers to hold the conference in India, but also granted visas to Chinese dissidents, including the World Uyghur Congress leader, Dolkun Isa, who has been dubbed as a "terrorist” by Beijing. The conference will be held from April 28 to May 1 at Dharamsala in Himachal Pradesh - the seat of the Tibetan Government-in-Exile. Dalai Lama, who has been leading Tibetans’ struggle against Chinese rule in Tibet, will receive the delegates and address them.
New Delhi’s move, which is likely to raise hackles in Beijing, comes at a time, when India is upset over China’s decision to block the proposal to impose United Nations’ sanctions on Pakistan-based terrorist leader Moulana Masood Azhar.
Isa, the chairman of the executive committee of the World Uyghur Congress (WUC), told DH from Munich that he had already been granted visa by the Indian government to attend the conference in Dharamsala. However, he would take a final call only after assessing his security in India, as China got a Red Corner Notice issued against him by Interpol, he said.
Isa is a front-line leader of Uyghurs’ struggle for greater political and religious freedom in Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region of China. He was jailed repeatedly for his activism against Chinese rule in what Uyghurs call "East Turkestan”. He fled China in 1997, sought asylum in Europe and finally became a citizen of Germany in 2006. He has been campaigning against "atrocities” on Uyghurs and "human rights” violation by the Chinese government and its security forces.
Beijing got a Red Notice against Isa alleging that he was a terrorist and the vice-president of separatist East Turkestan Liberation Organisation. He, however, denied having any link with any terrorist organisation.If Isa does not travel to India, the WUC vice-president Omer Kanat and president of Uyghur American Association Ilshat Hassan will attend the conference in Dharamshala.
"This is the first time a delegation of World Uyghur Congress is visiting India. We are aware of New Delhi’s positive attitude towards the struggle for Tibet. India has been hosting Dalai Lama and thousands of Tibetan refugees since 1959,” Isa said on Wednesday.
"We hope India, which is the largest democracy of the world, will also speak up in support of Uyghurs’ non-violent struggle for political and religious freedom, democracy and human rights.”
The conference - titled "Strengthening Our Alliance to Advance the Peoples’ Dream: Freedom, Justice, Equality and Peace” - is being organised by a US-based organisation Citizen Power for China (CFC), which is led by well-known exiled Chinese dissident and a 1989 Tiananmen Square activist, Yang Jianli. The participants will include China’s pro-democracy activists, representatives of the communist country’s ethnic and religious minorities like Tibetans, Uyghurs, Mongolians, Christians, Falun Gong practitioners, Muslims and Buddhists as well as delegates from Taiwan, Hong Kong and Macau.
The CFC, which earlier held similar conferences in Boston, California, Taipei and Washington, stated that the annual conclaves turned into "the single most important united forum for planning and pursuing a peaceful transition to democracy in China”.

Excellent response to commies.
:biggrin2::biggrin2:

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
After a slap to china on border incursion, this is one more slap on their face. We make it clear. We have conveyed the massage that it is not an india of prior to 2014. We will talk to you in a language you understand. We taught them a lesson in chamur, we subsequently destroyed their watch tower and now we have done tit for tap. Good job.

LordOfTheUnderworlds

Country flag
Why the thread title says 'terrorist' ? There is difference between separatist and terrorists. Is he reported to be involved in terrorist activities or directly related any terrorist organization? If not is he being labelled terrorists just because of his race/ethnicity ? That would be racists. @mods may consider changing name of thread.

Country flag
http://www.tribuneindia.com/news/comment/china-sitting-on-a-tinderbox-in-xinjiang/225704.html

China sitting on a tinderbox in Xinjiang

China has been a cradle of religio-cultural diversities that were historically tolerated by the various ruling dynasties who claimed the ‘mandate of heavens’ to shape the overarching traditions, philosophies and cultures as opposed to the rigidity of a formal and definitive religion. However, since the Communist Party of China’s reign in 1949, Mao Zedong initially suppressed all expressions of societal religiosity, only to see a certain liberal acceptance of religious autonomy in recent times, as long as it didn’t conflict with regime survival.

Amidst a total population base of 1.4 billion, an estimated 1.7 to 2 per cent are of the Islamic faith (approximately 25 million). In addition to the majority Han population (91.6%), the Chinese government officially recognises 55 ethnic minorities (8.4% of population), of whom 10 are predominantly Sunni Muslims. Old manuscripts claim the advent of Islam to the 620s when Sa’d ibn Abi Waqqas, uncle of the Islamic Prophet, supposedly came to China on a mission and established the Huaisheng Mosque, over 1,300 year ago.

Broadly speaking, there are two distinct groups of Islamic adherents in China – the majority Hui people (who are similar to the majority Han Chinese in terms of ethnic-lingual profiles, spread across China) and the more restive Turkic ethnicity based Uyghurs, who are concentrated around the Xinjiang Autonomous Region.

Interestingly, official Chinese cartography encompasses the Indian territory of Aksai Chin, within the Xinjiang Autonomous region – affording it borders with India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Mongolia and Russia. Within the cauldron of Xinjiang, the majority Uyghurs (46.4% of population) aggressively jostle with Han (39% of population) to practise, preserve and perpetuate the Uyghur identity and relevance.

It is the forbidden lands of Xinjiang that test the Chinese regime’s stranglehold over the global Pan-Islamic wave of puritanical militancy and secessionist tendencies – often, resulting in violence, popular unrests and hidden fissures that are kept away from the glares of the world. Chinese absolutism is practised to ensure the lid is kept on the region’s simmering dissent by the Uyghurs. However, the Chinese government’s Uyghur-specific discrimination has resulted in further alienation and hardening of the Uyghur Muslims and their causes of separatism.

The famed Chinese ‘strike hard’ approach against the ‘three evils of separatism, extremism and terrorism’ has clearly divided the Islamic adherents into two groups – one of the ‘patriotic Chinese Muslims’, i.e., Hui people (they have no secessionist group or tendencies), who are allowed to practise their faith and beliefs, and the other of the discriminated Uyghur, who pray in different mosques from the Hui, and who have East Turkestan Islamic Movement (ETIM) as the main secessionist group to form an independent ‘East Turkestan’.

The divide-and-rule of the Chinese government is clinically effective with the Hui Muslims seamlessly integrated into the Chinese mainstream. The taint of Islamic terror and fundamentalism is restricted to the Uyghurs. Usual tactics of repressive security cover to blank out news, demographic resettlements of Hans and the economic discriminations have increasingly marginalised the Uyghurs and therefore turned Xinjiang into a veritable tinderbox.

The footprint of the ETIM is visible from the cadres operating in Afghanistan (where they were trained by Al Qaida and 22 of them were arrested and detained in Guantanamo Bay), Pakistan (where they attacked Chinese engineers in the port city of Gwadar) and even in the ongoing conflict in Syria-Iraq, where the Uyghur cadres are seen fighting along the Al-Qaida affiliate, Nusra Front.

However, the ETIM (or Turkistan Islamic Party, as they call themselves) have been designated as a terrorist group by the US under Executive Order 13224 (blocking financial transactions) and the US Terrorist Exclusion List (which debars members from entering US). This terror designation is further confirmed by the UN, UAE, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Russia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan and obviously China, thereby squeezing and limiting international support and funding. But, they have competing baiters amongst the ISIS, Al-Qaida and even the Taliban who empathise with the Uyghur cause and recruit their foot soldiers, arming and training the frustrated Uyghurs to the ultimate consternation of the Chinese.

Strategically for China, the import of Xinjiang unrest goes beyond the fears of Uyghur Islamic fundamentalism and militancy – it also tests the Chinese ability to cover its intrinsic fault lines in Tibet, Inner Mongolia and Taiwan, each of which has its own secessionist rationales against the mainland-Han Chinese rule. It forces doubts in the minds of the Chinese strategists and policy planners to invest in a restive area that is the principal highway of the strategic China-Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC), as indeed the gateway to the energy-flush Central Asian Republics that are key to keep the Chinese engines of economic growth running.

So far, heavy boots on ground and providential international environment of most countries clamping down on terror groups has spared Xinjiang from going completely out of control, though over 200 acts of terrorist strikes have been attributed to the ETIM. There is no visible or credible Chinese governmental effort to economically or socially try and integrate the restive Uyghurs. On the contrary, it is the sole ‘strike hard’ approach, bereft of any inclusive imperatives, that is getting deployed and the same has diminishing returns in the modern era, especially for a religious movement and insurrection that knows no official border or emotional appeal amongst the adherents across the globe. Its appeal is theoretically more readily available than say for a Tibet or Taiwan that is restricted to its constituents, beyond a point.

Xinjiang is the underbelly of a glaring Chinese reality that potentially posits the duplicitous Chinese stand of vetoing against India in the UN forum towards Indian efforts to designate Maulana Masood Azhar as a terrorist, as the Chinese still feel comfortable to egg on the Indo-Pak game of cloak and dagger as a willing accomplice of Pakistan. Though like Pakistan, which self-admittedly is atoning the sins of supporting fundamentalism, this is Chinese augury for chickens to come home to roost in Xinjiang. The dynamics and intrigues of international diplomacy may force the wary Western powers and the other stakeholders to recognise the tactical utility of the Xinjiang unrest as a counter-check to Sino aggression, duplicity and hegemony in the region.

amoy

Often enough conclusions indian or American posters hasten to draw are laughable, mostly based on wishful thinking, not ground reality.

Many of them lack the ability or credibility to discern a fact from a wish. What u need is more likely a self fulfilled prophecy.

Who exactly on a tinderbox? Some simple math ~ roughly 20 million muslims in China incl. 10 million Uyghurs, Vs. 180 million muslims in India incl. 5 million in India controlled Kashmir? The basic demography has already smashed your wildest whims. Mind your own business like I said !

~~Still waters run deep. ~~from my MiPad using tapatalk

Reactions: Neo

Bornubus

Chodi Bhakt & BJPig Hunter
Country flag
Often enough conclusions indian or American posters hasten to draw are laughable, mostly based on wishful thinking, not ground reality.

Many of them lack the ability or credibility to discern a fact from a wish. What u need is more likely a self fulfilled prophecy.

Who exactly on a tinderbox? Some simple math ~ roughly 20 million muslims in China incl. 10 million Uyghurs, Vs. 180 million muslims in India incl. 5 million in India controlled Kashmir? The basic demography has already smashed your wildest whims. Mind your own business like I said !

East Turkestan was an independent country before being usurped by China. and different ethnically. Kashmir same ethnicity always part of India big difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag

The Modi-Doval-Parriker triumvirate is gonna show our neighbours and some of the J&K idiots who did carry peskystan flags that we are, even if gradually but surely, returning to our correct place on this world platform , a place in history where china had to give way to us ....now that will take time , perhaps a lot of time , but i firmly and quietly believe we will get there .and more importantly we ARE getting there .

i have never give so many likes to the posts in one thread

this is a direct slap to ccpchina - i see it this way ....... Doval recently went to peking to confirm what should have been an obvious cooperation against global terrorism regarding that terrorist , they probably said no,

so no probs , upon return to india he immediately responded with this .......i.e we wont cooperate with you either ....

our Jawa Neh would have done differently , he would have smiled handshaked come back as a broken man and said it was a great china and must be "CAREFUL" not to offend such a great nation and blah blah blah and psychologically shocked, devastated

this is getting better all the time .....pity it couldn't have been timed for the bihar elections

@Rushil51 @Syama Ayas @Mikesingh @3deffect

@angeldude13@Abhijat@Ancient Indian @anupamsurey@aliyah @Alien@angeldude13 @Abhijat@Ancient Indian@anupamsurey @aliyah @Alien @Aravind Sanjeev @A chauhan @asingh10
@aditya g @asianobserve @Bahamut @BATTLE FIELD@bose @Bornubus @brational @blueblood @Blackwater@Blood+ @bhai-117 @Bangalorean @bengalraider @Bengal_Tiger @biswas_k11
@cobra commando @Chirag @Chris Jude @Chinmoy @Cadian@DingDong @dhananjay1
@ersakthivel @FRYCRY @Gessler @garg_bharat @guru-dutt@Hari Sud@hit&run @HeinzGud @indiandefencefan@I_PLAY_BAD @Indian Devil @Indibomber @Jangaruda @jackprince @Kunal@Kshatriya87 Biswas@LETHALFORCE@laughingbuddha @mhk99
@MetsaMan @Mark Antony @manutdfan
@maomao@Navneet Kundu @Neil @Nicky G @OneGrimPilgrim@pmaitra @parijataka @PaliwalWarrior @Pulkit @Rowdy@Razor@Rashna @[email protected] @shade @sasum @smestarz
@Sakal Gharelu Ustad @Srinivas_K @sunnyv @sgarg@sabari @Sameet2 @saik @sorcerer
@Superdefender @sydsnyper @Sridevi @SREEKAR @Screambowl @Sylex21
@Tactical Frog @TejasMK3@The enlightened @tejas warrior @tharun @thethinker @tsunami @VIP @VaghaDeva @Vishwarupa @Vishal Guts @Yusuf@Yumdoot @Zebra

the usa has to realise that this is the correct map

Last edited:

amoy

East Turkestan was an independent country before being usurped by China. and different ethnically. Kashmir same ethnicity always part of India big difference.

See, another Indian myth LOL. Kashmir was an independent kingdom like Laddakh, Dogra etc. Maybe u're not so familiar with Indian history., then brush it up ~ an UN resolution requests a referendum for its self determination, which India denies. India itself only came into existence in 1940s when Great Britain granted its independence.

Ya it's safe to say every big country was cobbled up through conquest, annexation, integration... China "usurped" what? I don't care abt its past, I'm only concerned abt its present... Time can settle everythng down - like now Uncle Sam wouldn't bother abt giving back what used to be American natives Mohigans, Mohawks, Apaches....

So cut your craps and start to talk senses.

Mikesingh

Professional
Country flag

Clutching at straws to prove all is well in Xinjiang? You guys are up the gum tree and soon will face a major revolution out there. It's just a question of time.

Your proxy puppets, and your boot lickers Pakistan too will soon lose Balochistan....and China Xinjiang as well as Tibet later.

Country flag
See, another Indian myth LOL. Kashmir was an independent kingdom like Laddakh, Dogra etc. Maybe u're not so familiar with Indian history., then brush it up ~ an UN resolution requests a referendum for its self determination, which India denies. India itself only came into existence in 1940s when Great Britain granted its independence.

Ya it's safe to say every big country was cobbled up through conquest, annexation, integration... China "usurped" what? I don't care abt its past, I'm only concerned abt its present... Time can settle everythng down - like now Uncle Sam wouldn't bother abt giving back what used to be American natives Mohigans, Mohawks, Apaches....

So cut your craps and start to talk senses.

All India was kingdoms don't see an analogy?

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles