China refutes reports of sending troops to Pakistan

smartindian

Country flag
China on Wednesday rejected reports of the presence of over 11,000 Chinese troops in northern Pakistan, saying that such "groundless reports" were made with "ulterior motives."

"We believe the attempts of some people to fabricate stories to provoke China-Pakistan or China-India relations are doomed to fail," said Foreign Ministry spokesperson Jiang Yu in a statement.

The comment came in response to recent reports of some American and Indian press that China had deployed more than 10,000 troops in the Gilgit-Baltistan region of Pakistan.

China refutes reports of sending troops to Pakistan - People's Daily Online

ganesh177

Country flag
How is that going to provoke china-pakistan relations. As far as i know pakistanis are very happy than their chinese brothers are taking control of their land when they dont have enough spine to monitor everything.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
So, they are not Chinese soldiers.

What are they?

The world is hallucinating with Afghanistan's best? ;)

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Sir,

This is what i got from elsewhere

This would be the Xinjiang Production and Construction Corps. I don't think the PLA commands this corps anymore. It answers directly the region and to Beijing.

As such the XPCC is more like the US Army's Corps of Engineers with direct participation in civilian civil infrastructure programs than military installations. A missile base would be constructed by the 2nd Artillery Force's own engineers than the XPCC.
Well, I can find nothing from the Chinese side concerning this but I think the reporters have taken liberty with the truth. No unauthorized person should ever go near a tunneling project. The dangers of cave ins and explosive handling is just too great to allow people who don't know what they're doing and where they should be at all times is just intolerable.
Additionally, I can now confirm that there is no deployment of PLA troops to Pakistan. This does not include the XPCC which is a XJ force and answers only to Beijing and the XJ Military Region. I can find no deployment articles from the PLA into Pakistan.

At this point, I strongly believe that the reporter was lazy and have a political slant. The XPCC was a PLA force up until the 1980s. The PLA released its command of the XPCC at the same time as the creation of the PAP. The reporter did a light search and went with it.

At the same time, the quote of 7000 to 11,000 PLA troops working on rail lines is extremely suspect. The PLA refused to do riot control in both Tibet and Xinjiang but it's willing to do rail lines?

Seriously, you have got a case of lazy reporting and the reporter ran with his laziness.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
@Yusuf,

I have read in the Indian print media that the Chinese have claimed that they are mere workers and that it is all hype and crying wolf since the US wants India to buy US equipment when Anthony visits the US.

However, it is pertinent to note that the Indian govt, which normally bends backward to accommodate all aggressive and undiplomatic behaviour of the Chinese, this time around, has taken serious cognisance. Obviously, the Indian govt knows something that does not meet the eye!

Or is it a message to all that China does not take Gilgit and Baltistan as a part of any other country and now that they are there, it is a part of China. If that is so, then obviously their opinion that there are no Chinese troops in Pakistan seems plausible from the Chinese standpoint!

Any China watcher will tell one that China is a master of double speak and deception!

Take the word 'Tongzhi'. It means comrade. lile Tongzhi Mao. And yet, it has a rather uncomfortable meaning too that I would rather not mention lest it offends the Chinese posters. who are honoured guests here.

Last edited:

amoy

XPCC is a very unique force in China with both civilian and paramilitary functions. It is mainly deployed in south Xinjiang to cultivate barren lands or turn desert into oasis or be engaged in projects like roads, tunnels, irrigation (so-called Production and Contruction), also not to compete with oasis Uigur herders/farmers. Lots of new cities mushroomed in Xinjiang growing cotton or tamato in deserts after decades of sweat and toil in additon to oil/gas fields. CCP inherits the tradition dated back to Han Dynasty when similar strongholds were set up in Xinjiang in rivalry against Huns (whose king Atila later swept over Europe as being pushed westward by Han and succeeding dynasties)

In time of emergency XPCC can be instantly mobilized to crash down on riots especially ETM extremists who want an Islamic state wiping out heretics. Vast south Xinjiang by this means is firmly controlled.

Tongzhi -> Tong=Same Zhi=Ideal >>> Comrade. It was first used as an euphemism for gays in a HK movie. Later it became a common word. u may call it doublespeak but certainly it shows our respect for different lifestyles.

I hope that story about XPCC in Gilgit and Baltistan is true. Not that Chinese covet that territory but that it'd be a beatiful propect that China has an access to Arabian Sea and a rail link to West Asia (Iran). Indian media hypes it as Pakistan giving away her or a 'disputed' land to China only in an ill aim to smear image of competitors.

Last edited:

Global Defence

New threads

Articles