China protests PM's visit to Arunachal, India says its an integral part.

BLACK_COBRA

BEIJING: China expressed strong dissatisfaction on Tuesday over Prime Minister Manmohan Singh’s weekend visit to Arunachal Pradesh.

Prime Minister Manmohan Singh's trip to Arunachal Pradesh to woo voters ahead of Monday’s assembly elections came despite Beijing's serious concerns, China’s foreign ministry spokesman Ma Zhaoxu said in a statement posted on the ministry's website.

``We demand the Indian side address China's serious and just concerns and not trigger disturbances in the disputed region so as to facilitate the healthy development of China-India relations,'' the statement said.

The protest reflects enduring Chinese sensitivities over the mountainous state, which shares a 640-mile (1,030-kilometer) unfenced border with China.

The Asian giants fought a border war in 1962 and the frontier has yet to be settled despite 13 rounds of talks on the issue.

China claims the region as its own territory and has never recognized a British colonial-era border known as the McMahon Line that designated the region as part of India. China also occupies a chunk of territory in Kashmir that India regards as its own.

Most recently, China sought to block part of a loan to India from the Asian Development Bank earmarked for projects in Arunachal Pradesh. Beijing also protested a visit to the region last month by exiled Tibetan leader the Dalai Lama, to no avail.

China's protests and continuing claims have fueled Indian fears of military aggression, prompting calls for New Delhi to reinforce military units on its side of the border.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...Ms-visit-to-Arunachal/articleshow/5118757.cms

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
They don't have business in questioning the visit of Prime Minister to a place which is part of Indian sovereignty. We should encourage more visits of high-profile politicians, leaders, celebrities to these places to send the message that Arunachal was and is part of India.

ppgj

They don't have business in questioning the visit of Prime Minister to a place which is part of Indian sovereignty. We should encourage more visits of high-profile politicians, leaders, celebrities to these places to send the message that Arunachal was and is part of India.
no doubt. but what perplexes me is that- with all that bravado PM exhibits, he does not have the guts to visit tawang. what stops him? are we so scared of china that bars us from visiting our own territory? it is a mystery to me.

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
no doubt. but what perplexes me is that- with all that bravado PM exhibits, he does not have the guts to visit tawang. what stops him? are we so scared of china that bars us from visiting our own territory? it is a mystery to me.
Manmohan Singh is the kind of personality who doesn't want to confront China openly but he or his PMO is making right moves to confront china in different ways. One such way is by allowing Dalailama to visit Tawang this november who was not allowed to go there before by GoI. Activation of air fields in Ladakh, North-east etc and stationing Su-30MKIs there are all pointers towards that.

ahmedsid

Top Gun
Our PM doesn't believe in just Talk, I feel the Goverment is doing a lot of things behind the scenes, and we should not think that GoI is not doing anything.

As an outsider, we might think that all this talk is because China is confident of attacking India, but NO, Its because China is damn scared of doing anything to India. They can just tell stuff.

ppgj

Manmohan Singh is the kind of personality who doesn't want to confront China openly
what is confronting about visiting tawang? when we say it is our territory.
but he or his PMO is making right moves to confront china in different ways.
late in the day.
One such way is by allowing Dalailama to visit Tawang this november who was not allowed to go there before by GoI.
why they stopped all this while is again a mystery to me. should have done long back.
Activation of air fields in Ladakh, North-east etc and stationing Su-30MKIs there are all pointers towards that.
again late in the day and it is only a reaction.

ppgj

As an outsider, we might think that all this talk is because China is confident of attacking India, but NO, Its because China is damn scared of doing anything to India. They can just tell stuff.
all the more reason to call their bluff. india should tell china in no uncertain terms by PM visiting tawang, that AP belongs and will remain in india.

bhramos

Country flag
Its almost 10 days back,
when PM visited for Polling Campaign .
what took China to protest after these many days.
is the war irreversable

ahmedsid

Top Gun
all the more reason to call their bluff. india should tell china in no uncertain terms by PM visiting tawang, that AP belongs and will remain in india.
India already called their bluff, do you thinking placing Sukhois wasnt a part of it? Sending Dalai Lama wasnt a part of it? The Bluff is out, and you should realize it too!

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
what is confronting about visiting tawang? when we say it is our territory.
As you can see how chinese are crying just because of a visit to Arunachal, you can imagine how hard they will cry if he had to visit Tawang. There might be some drastic steps from China at diplomatic levels and trade and they might escalate this into a skirmish and then to war. Are we ready for a war??. I don't think we are completely ready yet for a war with China. So, GOI feels better to avoid visit to Tawang for now. When we have the confidence to take on the Chinese with full might, that will be the day a visit to Tawang will be forthcoming from an Indian PM. In the mean time, we build roads, infrastructure and all that we need to fight and hold the chinese in their tracks in the event of a war.

late in the day.

why they stopped all this while is again a mystery to me. should have done long back.

again late in the day and it is only a reaction.
Better late than never :D

ppgj

India already called their bluff, do you thinking placing Sukhois wasnt a part of it? Sending Dalai Lama wasnt a part of it? The Bluff is out, and you should realize it too!
i am not saying they are not worth anything. they are but already pretty late in the day.
china or any similar country respects power and confidence of a nation. infact US and other western countries were surprised by indian reaction to 26/11. they almost had hoped india will do precision strikes. why it did not happen? 'cos we lack confidence as a nation. that confidence comes only from the executive leader of the nation which is PM.
by visiting tawang he can not only call the chinese bluff but also bring confidence to the people of the country and its armed forces.
if you have the power show it. only that is respected in the world.

ppgj

As you can see how chinese are crying just because of a visit to Arunachal, you can imagine how hard they will cry if he had to visit Tawang.
so let them cry. my point is simple. if we say AP belongs to us, we should be able to visit any part of that. by not visiting tawang we are only validating chinese position and helping them to bargain at border talks. it only says one thing. we dont beleive in our capability and lack in confidence. and mind you i am no hawk.

There might be some drastic steps from China at diplomatic levels and trade and they might escalate this into a skirmish and then to war. Are we ready for a war??. I don't think we are completely ready yet for a war with China.
truth is even china wont fight. they dont want to jeopardise their economic growth and give a window of opportunity to tibetans, uighurs and taiwanese which is natural in times of war.

ahmedsid

Top Gun
i am not saying they are not worth anything. they are but already pretty late in the day.
china or any similar country respects power and confidence of a nation. infact US and other western countries were surprised by indian reaction to 26/11. they almost had hoped india will do precision strikes. why it did not happen? 'cos we lack confidence as a nation. that confidence comes only from the executive leader of the nation which is PM.
by visiting tawang he can not only call the chinese bluff but also bring confidence to the people of the country and its armed forces.
if you have the power show it. only that is respected in the world.
You are going off topic now by bringing in 26/11, But let me make this clear to all those "Precision Strike" Fans out there. Just think what would have happened if India attempted it? it would have Made the Pakistanis One nation, and ready to wage war with India. But what did India do? They just waited, and see how at war Pakistan is with itself! And We didnt loose a single plane or single soldier, and nor did we cross a feet into Pak terrirtory to do this!

This is called thinking long term implications, the attack would have ruined everything for India, our Economy, our Lives. But thanks to sane minds, We are well off! So much for "Precision Strikes" eh?

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
so let them cry. my point is simple. if we say AP belongs to us, we should be able to visit any part of that. by not visiting tawang we are only validating chinese position and helping them to bargain at border talks. it only says one thing. we dont beleive in our capability and lack in confidence. and mind you i am no hawk.
Sometime realpolitik dictates to do things that we don't want to do. Same applies here, reason for which I already given in previous post. Everything cannot be done in black and white terms, its always in shades of grey.

Tawang is already a part of India, our people live there, we elect MPs from that place. No need to go overboard to prove Tawang is ours and put the whole situation in jeopardy. As I said, time is not right until we pull up our socks to backup with action what we say to China and stand to the bullying of china. Let us build better infrastructure in Arunachal till we match their infrastructure on their side of border. That will be the day, when we can show finger to China and live with it. That day is not today.

truth is even china wont fight. they dont want to jeopardise their economic growth and give a window of opportunity to tibetans, uighurs and taiwanese which is natural in times of war.
You never know Chinese. Did we expected them to do a 1962?. I don't think so. Expect for the unexpected and be ready.

ppgj

You are going off topic now by bringing in 26/11, But let me make this clear to all those "Precision Strike" Fans out there. Just think what would have happened if India attempted it? it would have Made the Pakistanis One nation, and ready to wage war with India. But what did India do? They just waited, and see how at war Pakistan is with itself! And We didnt loose a single plane or single soldier, and nor did we cross a feet into Pak terrirtory to do this!

This is called thinking long term implications, the attack would have ruined everything for India, our Economy, our Lives. But thanks to sane minds, We are well off! So much for "Precision Strikes" eh?
i was only illustrating a point by taking 26/11 as an example. if you read my earlier post, i have said i am no hawk.
and i am no fanboy of any thing. am just putting forth my point. lets agree to disagree if we differ.

ahmedsid

Top Gun
i was only illustrating a point by taking 26/11 as an example. if you read my earlier post, i have said i am no hawk.
and i am no fanboy of any thing. am just putting forth my point. lets agree to disagree if we differ.
I understood, but I just wanted to illustrate upon the Point.

The Thing with us Indians is that we are highly critical of our Govt, and its a good thing. But we must also learn to accept the fact that Not everything is transparent, and Not everything our Govt does is known to us.

We are late in the development arena near the chinese border, we are catching up with them, and at this juncture, I agree with what DD said. We need to be perfectly strong, not only to Hold onto our Territory, But grab some of theirs if they attack us. At this moment, we can only hold onto our territory at the cost of many lives with no gain, But soon, the Chinese wont be able to hold onto their once we are on track with the development and Armed Forces Modernization plan.

MMuthu

Why are they protesting for PM going to our territory, Manmohan himself called AP as our land of Rising Sun, What makes them to give voices like this.... Let us start some confrence meeting on the topic called 'Tibet' and let us nominate some dozen of people who protest on each and every development which happens in Tibet.

amitkriit

China drew back it's forces in 1962 for a reason, they wanted to keep issues with India alive for a longer term. Now they are just executing their master-plan. I agree that being over-agressive is not the best solution in this case, we already have got enough to deal with internally, neither is India as capable as USA/Russia nor are China/Pakistan equivalent to Iraq/Afghanistan, we just need to keep doing what is best for our nation without giving too much value to these rants. Neither China nor India can afford an escalation for many years to come, and policy makers of both countries know this very well.

ahmedsid

Top Gun
India rejects China's objections on PM's Arunachal visit

India on Tuesday rejected Chinese objections to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh's [ Images ] visit to Arunachal Pradesh, asserting the state is an integral part of the country.

Arunachal Pradesh is inalienable part of India and China is aware of this, External Affairs Ministry spokesman Vishnu [ Images ] Prakash said.

New Delhi's [ Images ] statement came soon after China's Ambassador to India Zhang Yang met MEA officials.

'We demand the Indian side address China's serious concerns and not trigger disturbance in the disputed region so as to facilitate the healthy development of China-India relations,' Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Ma Zhaoxu said earlier in the day.

'China is strongly dissatisfied with the visit to the disputed region by the Indian leader disregarding China's serious concerns,' Ma said in a statement posted on the ministry's website.

He noted that China and India had 'never officially settled' demarcation of their border, and China's stance on the eastern section of the China-India border was 'consistent and clear-cut'.

Dr Singh had toured and addressed an election rally in Arunachal Pradesh on October 3.

Recently, China had blocked part of a loan to India from the Asian Development Bank [ Get Quote ] (ADB) for developmental projects in Arunachal Pradesh. China also protested a visit to the state last month by exiled Tibetan leader the Dalai Lama [ Images ].

India says China is illegally occupying 43,180 sq km of Jammu and Kashmir [ Images ]. On the other hand, China accuses India of possessing some 90,000 sq km of Chinese territory, mostly in Arunachal Pradesh

India rejects China's views on PM's Arunachal trip: Rediff.com news

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
^^Well, that statement of MEA puts everything to rest. At least, GoI is not sleeping, it is retorting to baseless and irrational claims and statements of China with respect to Arunachal.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles