China, India as challengers: new world leaders amid global financial crisis

Country flag
http://valparaiso.indymedia.org/news/2009/02/27029.php

China, India as challengers: new world leaders amid global financial crisis, jobs
by globalization, politics, management forum Friday, Feb. 27, 2009 at 7:12 AM

Is Chinese or Indian century coming sooner in view of America's financial crisis? Are Asia giant nations rising faster than expected? Which nation is going to lead in this century, China, India, or America? What takes to get ahead in borderless finance, wealth, investment, jobs, competition, entrepreneurship? What is the next map of global business, tade, and politics map amid global financial crisis?

New world competition map amid global financial crisis: Global Outsourcing, Finance, Leadership, Trade, Hightech, Wealth, Politics: China vs India

By http://www.bptiger.org

India may be the world leader in outsourcing IT and software services field but in manufacturing China is by far the clear winner. There is a perception that labor in China is cheapest, but leading strategist George Zhibin Gu (in his new book: China and the new world order) is on the opinion that labor in India is by and large 50% cheaper than China but still China rules, why??

He feels that China in many aspects is ahead of India in manufacturing. Firstly, when India does not even have an effective manufacturing base at all, forget of having chain of key component suppliers, or for that matter logistics chain, infrastructure etc. China on the other hand over last 26 years has built up a complete business chain

Quoting book: China and the new world order, by George Zhibin Gu

For example, in consumer electronics you can set up your shop in Guangdong, then you get more than 10,000 component makers. For example, Sony alone has more than [3,000] China based component makers. Here, you need to know that these component makers come from both Chinese companies and multinationals. So, Sony’s 3,000 come from the Chinese, the Japanese, Koreans and Europeans, and American suppliers, always in China - actually, in one province. That’s the kind of effectiveness and efficiency China has, but in India, and even in Europe you don’t have that kind of advantage.

I found the interview a bit inclined towards China. Yes, its a fact that India lags behind, but not to the extent its been described here. May I am worng, I dont know. Your comments are welcome.

Contents of "China and the New World Order"

This book consists of 26 chapters, which are organized into eight parts:
I. China’s New Role in the World Development

Ch 1. China's social changes vs tourism
Ch 2. Whose 21st century?
Ch 3. Go east, young man!
Ch 4. Everyone in the same boat
ch 5. Power and limits of later developers

II. The Yuan, Trade, and Investment

ch 6. China's competitiveness vs rising yuan.
ch 7. Where to invest your money?
ch 8. Behind a rising yuan
ch 9. Beyond textile trade wars

III. China’s Fast-Changing Society, Politics, and Economy (in light of Chinese and global history)

ch 10. Lessons from Shenzhen, China's new powerhouse.
ch 11. Hunan province: from red state to supergirl and superrice.
ch 12. A revolution of Chinese professions
ch 13. What is the Chinese bureaucratic tradition?
ch 14. Why does Beijing want to reform?

IV. China’s Banking, Insurance, and Stock Market Reforms

ch 15. The explosive insurance market
ch 16. Chinese banks on the move, finally.
ch 17. lessons from China's stock market.

V. Chinese Multinationals vs. Global Giants

ch 18. The coming of age of Chinese multinationals.
ch 19. Behind Chinese multinationals' global efforts.
ch 20. China's technology development.

VI. The Taiwan Issue : Current Affairs and Trends (federation as an alternate way for unity)

ch 21. Federation: the best choice for Taiwan and mainland China.
ch 22. Taiwanese businesses in the mainland.
a vibrant Taiwanese force.
Hightech.
Other sectors.
What is the next?
Will Spring follow winter?

VII. India vs. China : Moving Ahead at the Same Time

ch. 23. China and India: can they do better together?
ch 24. Uneven development: India vs China.

VIII. The Japan-China Issue : Evolving Relations in Light of History

ch 25. Japanese business in China.
ch 26. Japan's past aggressions vs current affairs.

About the Author

George Zhibin Gu, a journalist/consultant based in Guangdong, China. A native of Xian, he was educated at Nanjing University, Vanderbilt University, and the University of Michigan. He holds two MS and a PhD from the University of Michigan.

For the past two decades, he has been an investment banker and business consultant. His work focuses on helping international businesses to invest in China and helping Chinese companies to expand overseas. He has worked for Prudential Securities, Lazard, and State Street Bank, among others. He generally covers mergers and acquisitions, venture capital, business expansion, and restructuring.

Also, he is a journalist on China and its relations with the world. His articles or columns have appeared in Asia Times, Beijing Review, The Seoul Times, Financial Sense, Gurus Online, Money Week, Online Opinion, Asia Venture Capital Journal, and Sinomania, among others. He is also a member of the World Association for International Studies hosted by Stanford University.

He is the author of four books :

1.China and the New World Order : How Entrepreneurship, Globalization and Borderless Economy Reshape China and World, foreword by William Ratliff (Fultus, 2006) ;

2.China’s Global Reach : Markets, Multinationals, and Globalization, afterword by Andre Gunder Frank (revised edition, Fultus, 2006) ;

3. China Beyond Deng : Reforms in the PRC (McFarland, 1991) ; and

4.Made in China ( English edition forthcoming, Fall 07 ; Portuguese edition, Centro Atlantico, 2005).

yang

It is a good book

Thank you for introduing the book for us,it may give us more angles to see a country.And we may find some possibilities that India and China can cooperate someday,and go ahead hand in hand.

shiv

of course china is far ahead of us in manufacturing....you guys know why???because they dont choose their

leaders....sit back and relax they will soon take over us in IT too

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
Good say Yaun I appreciate your POV after all its better to have a
big friend than a big enemy both India and China should know that.

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
of course china is far ahead of us in manufacturing....you guys know why???because they dont choose their

leaders....sit back and relax they will soon take over us in IT too
All I have to ask, how did you know that?:35:

shiv

well i have been in this country for 19 years now....and i think i know myself and my fellow citizens....

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
well i have been in this country for 19 years now....and i think i know myself and my fellow citizens....
Few decades back few economist predicted that Japan would become a superpower considering its then GDP growth rate.

Also the case with India-Pakistan back near the 50's where few economist had predicted Pakistan to foster and India to further divide, destroy, etc etc..... and see the facts today.

these are old informations and currently I don't have a valid link, but if you negate my claim, I would rather go in search for link then:sCh_coplight:

shiv

no i think i trust you for now payeng......and isin't japan a superpower??it is an economic superpower......it cannot be a military one cuz its military strength and policy is dictated by USA(it gave it up in the treaty that was signed after hiroshima and nagasaki)

yang

Time tells

You are all right,we may inspired by both the current afairs and the history,and make some accurate predictions about the future .Yesterday,Japan is a small poor island country,and today it is one of the superpower poles in the world.But considering its scale and national conditions,it may be a superman in economy for a long time ,but it will always be the listener of its big brother,and applaud after the speech made by its brother ended.And US never saw it as a threaten,so under the protction of US,Japan suddenly appeared on the horizon.But India and China are totally different,we can't be someone's tail,and we must blossom on our own,and make our sovereignty complete.In the humanbeing's history ,most of the time India and China are the two leaders in the world,and we'd never know the europe,but we now isn't as glorious as before,so we must stand up and catch up with them.Then,we must learn from them.Above all,no one can tells what the future will be,only time tells,let the time be the witness .

ShyAngel

Founding Member
Thank you for introduing the book for us,it may give us more angles to see a country.And we may find some possibilities that India and China can cooperate someday,and go ahead hand in hand.
Even though India is democratic and China is communist.
Usually, communism and democratic wouldn't work properly
but in the coming year "globalization" sure will make it work in
the way it should be! :helpsmilie::helpsmilie::helpsmilie::helpsmilie:

yang

Yes

Even though India is democratic and China is communist.
Usually, communism and democratic wouldn't work properly
but in the coming year "globalization" sure will make it work in
the way it should be! :helpsmilie::helpsmilie::helpsmilie::helpsmilie:
I agree with you ,but you know that China is a country with two social systems ,in the mainland it is communist,but in Hongkon,Macao,Taiwan it is democratic.Countris are different may not be the problem,and even we have the same mother,we may be contrary people.

yang

"many many centuries"

Wait,have you heard of Keynes,his famous sentence:In the long run,we are all die.And anybody can says "After many many centuries,.... "Nobody will know when the "many many centuries will come"

EnlightenedMonk

Member of The Month JULY 2009
I think India and China have already emerged as one of the forefront in the Financial world now... sure, we don't have as much economic clout now as the US or the EU, but that is surely coming in some time...

The fact is that India + China are home to almost 1/3rd of the world's population and that population cannot be increasingly left out.

The current financial crisis has shaken up the US and EU and they will most certainly look beyond their own borders for financial security and stability.

A case in point is that during all financial meetings after the recession hit, India and China have been invited and are playing a major role in the diplomatic aspects such as working with the world on interest rate cuts etc. I believe that as the recession draws to a close, a lot more investment will come to India and China as they are seen as much safer markets because the regulatory system in the west has failed miserably and the results are there for all to see...

So, its only a matter of time now...

yang

And because of our comparable weaker financial systems,we are hurt not so badly as some vast financial empires,and we may see it as a opportunity for us to step on the stage again,if we make our internal issues run well.The word "crisis" in Chinese means not only trouble,but also opportunity.

EnlightenedMonk

And because of our comparable weaker financial systems,we are hurt not so badly as some vast financial empires,and we may see it as a opportunity for us to step on the stage again,if we make our internal issues run well.The word "crisis" in Chinese means not only trouble,but also opportunity.
We are better off because our banks and financial institutions chose not to invest unwisely or try to be reckless with other peoples' money unlike in the west where they tended to behave like gamblers with unlimited money. Our banks and financial institutions were not extremely highly exposed to the new and sometimes funny derivatives which were being invented as a new money making proposition. If you had a closer look at a lot of these derivatives which were floating around, they were nothing more than just a gambling game...

A lot of companies invested in them and lost their money (to be fair with them, during the heydays they also made a lot of money using the same derivatives... High Payoff-High Loss). But, the end result of all of this has been the erosion of confidence from the system...

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
Yang can you tell me that are copyrights, patents and IPRs/TRIPS are recognised in china and if not why?:)

yang

Yang can you tell me that are copyrights, patents and IPRs/TRIPS are recognised in china and if not why?:)
Yes,ofcourse.But recognise doesn't means protect well,and I admit that we have a long road to go in protecting the copyrights.
Thus,a question comes out.Everybody knows that publishing the books without the authors permission is illegle,but why there are so many illegal copys in the market.You may say because they are so cheap,and the illegle copys almost has no obvious difference between the illegle copys and the original copyrights.
Certainly,I can't agree with you more.And then,you may say that the people in China are so immoral.And,you are right,they seldom stand in a team when they tried to get on a bus.But,they are really good people.The people who first get on the bus and have a seat to sit on,would try their best to help the other people who stand on the bus,they may take the bags of the people standing beside them,and put the bags on their knees,or they would carry the small children in the arms,even offer their seat to the old.On the bus in China,offer one's seat to the people who need is a duty.And everytime I get on a bus ,I would get up and offer my seat to the kids,old,and pregnant woman,not only me,almost all the people,especially our youngsters.They are the most kind-hearted people in the world compared to the cool western people.
As we all know ,the original copyrights are so expensive,I am a stuent in a university,even though my family is not very poor,I may find it a burden to buy all kinds of books that are all legal copyrights.And I know how many books I have read since I have entered the primary school.And many books we are just see them only once,then cost a lot of money on it may be a little waste. And if in the market there are all expensive legal copyrights ,we may lost many opportunities to have an access to the essencial technology.
Then,you may say again ,the illegal action has damaged the right of the authors.Yes,the authors may lost millions even more money.But ,I would say that they are rich enough,why not they give some chance to the poor people,as doing something wothwhile to the whole society.And do you know how much dollars the western countries has gained by selling the benchmark.
Protecting the copyrights is important,but I don't agree with forbidenning the illegal copyrights overnight.If we all have a comfortable life,we may do as the rull says.
As the famous theory says: Aggregate demand determines aggregate supply.If the people can't afford the legal copyrights,the black markets will not disappear .
How high the price of the foreigh copyrights for our Chinese are?In China I can spend only 5 RMB to have a single haircut,but in England I may cost 11 GBP(almost 150 RMB),how can we afford.And a few months ago,the Microsoft make an incident that make the computer with illegal copyrights went wrong with a black screen,and their legal copyrights perchase so high almost the salary for several month.
And I think India is a country similar to China ,we all have a lot of problems.But India do as the Western say ,and make the rich richer,the poor poorer,so cost in India is much higher than China,then China will cost less ,and have a higher economy growth rate.
I love my people so much,although they may do something not ideal.They worked day and night to creat a better life for their family members,they save every coin to give their only child a chance to acomplish the dream they can't make it come true ,which is learning in a college and have a look in the exciting world outside.They are all right,and what's wrong is they were born in a developing country.But I think the days will be better and better,something today seems to be so hard to accomplish,may come into being in the real world one day.

EnlightenedMonk

Thank you for your response Yang. I would like to, if you allow me, post a specific incident where a Chinese company has clearly copied an Indian brand and tries to sell it in a foreign country as their own.

I'm specifically referring to the Bajaj Pulsar and Amico Gulsar episode where the Chinese company has clearly copied the highly successful Indian design and now are trying to market it in South America which is actually hurting Indian interests. Now, India is taking this very seriously because obviously there is a clear rip-off.

I can understand if they were helping university students get cheaper books or anything of that sort, but in this case it is a clearly commercially oriented operation of fraud.

Here is a link to a related article - http://www.rediff.com/money/2006/nov/22bajaj.htm

And, here is the picture of a newspaper article about the same issue -

If you see both images carefully, you'll see that the Chinese one is obviously a copy of the Indian one including the style of fonts used for the names.

Now, this leads us to the larger issue of Intellectual Property which is clearly not being respected and the government is also turning a blind eye to all this. The end result of all this is that a lot of foreign players including Russia are not willing to sell arms to China fearing that it may now be copied.

I'm sure that you're informed enough to know that the Sukhoi Design Bureau has refused to sell Su-33s for your aircraft carriers because they fear it might be copied and the S-300 has been copied by the Chinese Military already under another name and they've started to run a parallel business by trying to export it. Now, these are hurting Russias interests and they are now afraid to deal with you militarily.

Don't you think all of this is a tad-bit unethical as far as the Government is concerned ??? I may concede that maybe they are not actively encouraging people to copy, but they are surely turning a blind eye to all this and this is hurting your own interests in the long run.

I personally feel that this policy of your government to not actively recognize copyright laws is hurting Chinese interests in the long run.

What are your views about this ???

I really respect your views and I do hope that more Chinese friends like you join and actively participate in our site, because we have a lot of misconceptions about Chinese and you are going a long way in clearing our doubts, and I'm sure Chinese will also be willing to come to our site and actively participate and clear their misconceptions...

Cheers !!!

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
Yes,ofcourse.But recognise doesn't means protect well,and I admit that we have a long road to go in protecting the copyrights....
My Apology for I should have use the term 'your government' instead. Actually I was expecting a technical reply, but got an Idea.
your people are not immoral and your people are kind hearted. I use an OS that is not genuine and I don't regret too, till I am offended why should I stop using it.

I believe that protection of IPRs are the responsibility of those who made the rules. And if someone is not a part of that group how is it to justify them by that rule (though I mean producers not end users).

Please don't take my previous post as an offense. :eek:

N.B. Feel free to join in The Debate, expecting you there.:sniper:

yang

Not at all

My Apology for I should have use the term 'your government' instead. Actually I was expecting a technical reply, but got an Idea.
your people are not immoral and your people are kind hearted. I use an OS that is not genuine and I don't regret too, till I am offended why should I stop using it.

Please don't take my previous post as an offense. :eek:

N.B. Feel free to join in The Debate, expecting you there.:sniper:

Oh,my friend,I never think you are offensive,you are very kind ,I just want to show the people don't abay the rulls because they can't afford.

Today,I am a little busy,so let's discuss tomorrow.
Have a good day.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles