China gymnasts stripped of Olympic medal

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
IOC strips 2000 Games bronze medal from China

By STEPHEN WILSON AP Sports Writer

DUBAI, United Arab Emirates(AP)—China was stripped of a bronze medal from the 2000 Sydney Olympics on Wednesday for fielding an underage gymnast. The medal was given to the United States instead.

The International Olympic Committee acted after investigations by the sport's governing body determined that Dong Fangxiao was only 14 at the 2000 Games. Gymnasts must turn 16 during the Olympic year to be eligible.

"I'm really just proud to know that justice prevailed," said Dominique Dawes, a member of the U.S. squad in 2000. "My teammates are very well-deserving of the bronze medal, and I'm sure each and every one of us will be thrilled. We will cherish it."

Dong's results from Sydney were nullified in February by the International Gymnastics Federation. Because her scores contributed to China winning the team bronze, the FIG recommended that the IOC take the medal back.

As expected, the IOC executive board upheld the request and formally stripped the medal on the first day of a two-day meeting in Dubai.

The U.S. women, who had been fourth, move up to the bronze.

The IOC said Dong also was stripped of her sixth-place result in the individual floor exercises and seventh place in the vault.

Calls to the Chinese Gymnastics Association and the media officers for the Chinese gymnastics team went unanswered Wednesday. Dong now lives in New Zealand with her husband.

The IOC ordered China's national Olympic committee to return the team medals "as soon as possible" so they can be reallocated to the U.S. team.

It also told the Chinese to "ensure, by all means, that the athletes and officials of its delegation comply with all rules and regulations (of the international federation) particularly with regard to age limits."

"I never imagined in all my years of gymnastics that a decade following one of my Olympic Games I'd actually get a medal possibly shipped to me in the mail," said Dawes, who will now have one gold and three bronzes from the 1992, 1996 and 2000 games.

The bronze medal salvages what had been a disappointing Olympics for the U.S. women. The squad - Dawes, Amy Chow, Jamie Dantzscher, Kristin Maloney, Elise Ray and Tasha Schwikert - left Sydney empty-handed, the only time since 1976 the American women had failed to win a single Olympic medal. The U.S. boycotted the 1980 Moscow Games.

"Sydney was a beautiful Olympics, they did a great job. But it was hard when people would ask, `What medal did you guys get?"' Schwikert said. "It's going to be nice to say, `We did get a medal. We got the bronze in Sydney."'

Questions about Dong's eligibility arose during the FIG's investigation into the ages of the Chinese team that won the gold medal at the 2008 Beijing Games. Media reports and Internet records suggested some of the girls could have been as young as 14.

The FIG cleared the Beijing Games gymnasts in October 2008 after Chinese officials provided original passports, ID cards and family registers showing all of the gymnasts were old enough to compete. But the FIG said it wasn't satisfied with "the explanations and evidence provided to date" for Dong and a second gymnast, Yang Yun.

Dong's accreditation information for the Beijing Olympics, where she worked as a national technical official, listed her birthday as Jan. 23, 1986. That would have made her 14 in Sydney - too young to compete. Her birth date in the FIG database is listed as Jan. 20, 1983.

Dong's blog also said she was born in the Year of the Ox in the Chinese zodiac, which dates from Feb. 20, 1985, to Feb. 8, 1986.

FIG investigators didn't find sufficient evidence to prove Yang, who also won a bronze medal on uneven bars in 2000, was underage. She received a warning from the FIG.

"We are extremely grateful that the IOC and the FIG have taken such a thorough look at the issues that were raised in Beijing," said Steve Penny, president of USA Gymnastics. "It serves the best interests of sports to make sure there's always a fair field of play."

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
There were allegation against Chinese gymnasts for a while and that comes true with this report. Hope the Chinese won't harass the kids anymore.

Oracle

There were allegation against Chinese gymnasts for a while and that comes true with this report. Hope the Chinese won't harass the kids anymore.
Lol, what does Aunty have to say about this? OR this is a closed communist affair?

AkhandBharat

You might not harrass them, but you sure as hell embarrass them. One chinese singer who was singing the national anthem in the olympics was singing in the background and there was lip syncing done by a pretty looking girl on the camera.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
What difference does it make now to strip the medal? Olympics is about fair play, if that did not happen in the first place, the plot was lost.

nimo_cn

Country flag
You might not harrass them,
So, that is the way you argue. You might not harrass them, then how come the comment of hopinig the Chinese won't harass the kids anymore in the first place?

but you sure as hell embarrass them. One chinese singer who was singing the national anthem in the olympics was singing in the background and there was lip syncing done by a pretty looking girl on the camera
First, let me correct you, the girl was not singing the national anthem.
Second, how come this girl is involved in this subject? I thought we are talking about IOC strpping a medal of a Chinese athlete.
You just want to find a opportunity to humiliate us, don't you? Then carry on, but at least concentrate on the topic.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles