China faces growing gender imbalance

enlightened1

Member of The Month JANUARY 2010

More than 24 million Chinese men of marrying age could find themselves without spouses by 2020, says the Chinese Academy of Social Sciences.

The gender imbalance among newborns is the most serious demographic problem for the country's population of 1.3 billion, says the academy.

It cites sex-specific abortions as a major factor, due to China's traditional bias towards male children.

The academy says gender selection abortions are "extremely common".

This is especially true in rural areas, and ultra-sound scans, first introduced in the late 1980s, have increased the practice.

Forced prostitution

The latest figures show that for every 100 girls born in China, 119 boys are born, the academy says in a new book.

Researcher Wang Guangzhou, quoted by the Global Times newspaper, said the implications were that men in poorer parts of China may remain single throughout their life.

"The chance of getting married will be rare if a man is more than 40-years-old in the countryside. They will be more dependent on social security as they age and have fewer household resources to rely on," he said.

A reluctance among young urban Chinese to have a first or second child is exacerbating the problem.

In some provinces, 130 boys are born for each 100 girls.

The growing imbalance means that forced prostitution and human trafficking has become "rampant" in some parts of the country, according to the researchers.

IBRIS

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
This is just one more reason that India watches her back with China...
:rofl:

Study: China faces 24M bride shortage by 2020
January 11, 2010 7:58 a.m. EST

STORY HIGHLIGHTS

China's Communist Party implemented the one-child rule three decades ago
  • Sex-specific abortions have led to a large male population born since the 1980s
  • China Daily: The policy has prevented about 400 million births
  • U.S. State Department: Population expected to peak at 1.6 billion by 2050
(CNN) -- Some 24 million Chinese men of marrying age will find themselves lacking wives in 2020, partly because of the country's one-child policy, which has led to the abortion of female fetuses, state media said Monday.

Sex-specific abortions have led to a large male population born since the 1980s, the China Daily newspaper said, citing a study conducted by the Chinese Academy of Social Sciences.

The gender imbalance means that the next decade will see many intergenerational marriages: young men married to women much older than them, the study said.
China's Communist Party implemented the one-child rule three decades ago, amid fears that the country would not be able to feed a skyrocketing population. The policy has prevented about 400 million births, China Daily said.

Couples living in cities are barred from having more than one child, unless neither parent has siblings. In rural areas, the law allows for a second child under certain circumstances. And the guidelines are looser for ethnic minorities with small populations.

Enforcement varies, but usually takes the form of fines to discourage extra births.
The policy has curbed population growth, and has led to forced sterilization in some parts of the country, the U.S. State Department said. Because of a traditional preference for male heirs, many Chinese also have aborted female fetuses, according to human rights groups.

Even within the country, calls to overhaul the law have increased in recent years, China Daily said.

But China has said it will maintain its one-child policy for at least another decade.
Nearly 200 million Chinese will enter child-bearing age in the next 10 years, Minister Zhang Weiqing told China Daily two years ago. He said abandoning the policy during this period would cause "serious problems and add extra pressure on social and economic development."

"After the new birth peak ends, we may adjust the policy if there is a need," he said.
China's population, which stands at about 1.3 billion, is growing at the rate of 0.6 percent. It is expected to peak around 1.6 billion by 2050, the U.S. State Department said.
Study: China faces 24M bride shortage by 2020 - CNN.com

Country flag
young males with no women to chase, unemployment,low education and over zealous in their nationalism makes for a dangerous mix.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
So, there will be more comrades. 同志 = Tongzhi!

CS1.6

[mod] this is first time cool off yourself for 7 days in case if you continue like this then you will be banned permanently [/mod]

nimo_cn

Country flag
This is for those Indians who are mocking at gender imbalance in China.

India is one of the countries across the world which has the lowest and the declining gender ratio. It is in general 933 females against 1,000 males as per 2001 census. If it is compared with the global sex ratio and the sex ratios of other countries, particularly the Asian countries, it is the lowest
Gender Imbalance in India:causes and Consequences

The ratio among children up to the age of 6 was 962 girls per 1,000 boys in 1981, but 20 years later the inequity was actually worse: 927 girls per 1,000 boys.
For India's daughters, a dark birth day - CSMonitor.com

Ray,
i think there will be more comrades in India!

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod

Gender Imbalance in India:causes and Consequences

For India's daughters, a dark birth day - CSMonitor.com

Ray,
i think there will be more comrades in India!
Its much worse in China

China to be short 24 million wives, study says

China enforces strict family planning controls, including limiting most couples to having one child.
The BMJ study found even higher gender ratios, with 140 boys for every 100 girls in the 1-4 age range in Jiangxi and Henan provinces. The figures were based on data from 2005.

China imposed strict birth controls in the 1970s to limit growth of its huge population, noting that resources, especially land, were increasingly strained and that changes were needed in its new push to modernize. The government says the controls have prevented an additional 400 million births in the world's most populous country of 1.3 billion.
More like 1000 girls for 1400 boys. while this is not that drastic in India but still a problem.

ppgj

i agree with you Nimo.

this is a problem in india too, particularly in the northern states. hope parents both in india and china will see the light of this problem they have created and will solve it themselves. things are getting better though with literacy and general awareness.

nimo_cn

Country flag
Its much worse in China

China to be short 24 million wives, study says

More like 1000 girls for 1400 boys. while this is not that drastic in India but still a problem.
Normally, i am shameful to argue with Indian about who is the worst. Because most of the time, whatever the result is, i know compared with other countries, both of China and India are the worst.
Take this gender imbalance for example, both China and India are suffering from the lowest gender ratio(femal/male), no one is getting high ground over the other in this regard.

But what the hell, this time you are so insistent. Then let's do a comparison, let's see if China is much worse compared with India.

country/region at birth under 15 15–65 over 65 total
China 1.1 1.13 1.06 0.91 1.06
India 1.12 1.1 1.06 0.9 1.06
List of countries by sex ratio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

so this is what you call much better, this is what you are so proud of, this is what gives you high ground to laugh at us?

You are so pathetic! I despise you.

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
so this is what you call much better, this is what you are so proud of, this is what gives you high ground to laugh at us?

You are so pathetic! I despise you.
It is you who brought India into this not me to make it look China as something better. I never said India is better I only pointed out its worse in China. Of course truth is bitter and people despise bitterness. Nothing abnormal.

Stick to Chinese gender imbalance and don't bring India into this anymore.

nimo_cn

Country flag
It is you who brought India into this not me to make it look China as something better. I never said India is better I only pointed out its worse in China.
When you pointed out China is much worse than India, doesn't that mean India is much better than China? Where is your Logical Thinking Abilities?

Of course truth is bitter and people despise bitterness. Nothing abnormal.
To you, truth is bitter, too.

When i was quoting the gender imbalance in India, neither did i attempt to use it as a shield to defend China, nor to bash or humiliate India. If i wanted to do that, i would bring India into this as soon as i find this thread. The fact is i didnt reply to this thread until some Indians laughed at us on this.

Frankly, i was pissed off when i saw some indians commented on this in such a mean way.

How dare you judge us when your country is suffering from the same problem?

I bring India into this to remind some Indians, if you want to look down on us, then you should put yourself on a higher position over us first. If you can't, then you'd better stop doing that.

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
Frankly, i was pissed off when i saw some indians commented on this in such a mean way.

How dare you judge us when your country is suffering from the same problem?

I bring India into this to remind some Indians, if you want to look down on us, then you should put yourself on a higher position over us first. If you can't, then you'd better stop doing that.
We don't brush everything under the carpet, we discuss the problems that ails India and gender imbalance is also one of the problem faced by India and it might have been discussed in one or the other form on DFI. But you don't have to bring India whenever somebody laughs at China. If you really want to discuss the problems of India, discuss it is relevant threads and don't try to make every thread India vs China p!ssing contest. This is the last post on this issue. Discuss about gender imbalance in China or desist from posting on this thread.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Country flag
Gender preference leads to imbalance in Asian countries

A preference for sons in some Asian countries has been well documented for centuries. Now a study suggests the practice has led to significant imbalances in the male/female population in China, South Korea and India that could have long-lasting implications.

According to the Canadian Medical Association Journal, over the next 20 years, this practice will lead to an excess of males—between 10%-20% in large parts of China and India.

The sex ratio at birth (SRB)—the number of boys born to every 100 girls—is typically 105 males to 100 females. But since the 1980s, the availability of ultrasound technology has spurred sex selection, particularly in countries where males are highly prized.

South Korea was the first to report a high SRB due to sex selection.
By 1992 their SRB was 125. In Northern India, disparities were just as high.

Researchers say in China, the one-child policy has contributed to the
rising SRB. They say the country's huge population means a large
excess of males. By 2005, China's SRB was 121.

"In 2005 in China, it was estimated that 1.1 million excess males were born across the country and that the number of males under the age of 20 years exceeded the number of females by around 32 million," said Therese Hesketh, study author and professor, UCL Centre for International Health and Development, London, United Kingdom.

In rural areas of China where a second child is permitted if the first born is a girl, the use of sex-selection abortion to make sure the second child was a boy is common.

The problem with all this researchers say, is that there can be consequences to an imbalanced sex ratio. Many of these men will not marry or have children in a society where marriage is universal. These men, researchers say, may be psychologically vulnerable and prone to depression, aggressive behavior and violence.

Solutions to the problem, researchers say begin with government-led public education campaigns, reducing sex selection and addressing the long-standing attitudes of son preference. They say while this won't help reduce the current imbalances, it will help future generations.

These campaigns have led to some reductions in SRBs in South Korea and China. "However, these incipient decline will not filter through to the reproductive age group for another two decades, and the SRBs in these countries remain high," Hesketh said. "It is likely to be several decades before the SRB in countries like India and China are within normal limits."

And while China, India and South Korea all have laws that now prohibit fetal sex determination and sex-selective abortions, only South Korea, the study says, strongly enforces that law.

niceguy2011

Tihar Jail
Banned
It is not a big issue.
The excess males can be enroll in PLA and fight for their motherland and die at foreign land after kill some enemy.

Country flag
It is not a big issue.
The excess males can be enroll in PLA and fight for their motherland and die at foreign land after kill some enemy.
Maybe their parents don't want their only child dead?? Most normal parents love their children more than their government.

pmaitra

It is not a big issue.
Fight for their motherland or fight for others' land? [just kidding]

Jokes apart, are there instances of (1) female infanticide, (2) polyandry, (3) high divorce rate, in PRC as a result of gender imbalance? I understand such news do not come out as PRC is not particularly famous for freedom of press, however, you can tell me.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles