China Economy: News & Discussion

rockdog

Country flag
I'm happy to say that my company has sold all china property bonds, well atleast those im privy to.
This should tell you that institutionals investors are exiting market for good.
Sometimes you really don't know what you missed. I missed the BYD stock 2 yrs ago, even Warren Buffett invested it 14 yrs ago, earned $10B now, i still didn't buy in at 2020...

Now It's increasd 6 times by market value ... This July it sold 160,000 EVs at USD30,000 average, times than Tesla in China, and also entering several oversea markets.

I will increase my investment in firms from EV and Chip supply chains.

1.png

rockdog

Country flag
From an investor‘s POV, investing Chinese EV chain now might be a good idea.

I feel it's like Chinese mobile bands in 2015, i told our Indian members here the Chinese brands were pretty strong and would take the Indian market, investing on their stocks was a good idea, people laughed at me. Now we all know the situation ...

The Chinese EV is a 5X bigger opportunity, if you wanna earn some money, don't miss it. There are 100+ supply chain companies worth to invest.

How China’s BYD played catch-up with Tesla

Please use the sharing tools found via the share button at the top or side of articles. Copying articles to share with others is a breach of FT.com T&Cs and Copyright Policy. Email [email protected] to buy additional rights. Subscribers may share up to 10 or 20 articles per month using the gift article service. More information can be found here.
https://www.ft.com/content/ca84dfad-328b-4893-ab03-cf7c8205994e

fter three years as the world’s most popular maker of battery-powered cars, Tesla was this week forced to hand back that crown to one of the industry’s least known yet most feared brands: China’s BYD. Half-year sales figures published on Tuesday showed that BYD — short for “build your dreams” — delivered 641,000 cars in six months, 300 per cent higher than the year before and ahead of Tesla’s 564,000. In doing so, it managed to overtake Tesla before Volkswagen, Ford or General Motors, each of which had made this a public goal. “BYD has very good prospects,” said a senior executive at a German car manufacturer. “They are looking increasingly like the Toyota of China’s electric vehicle industry,” said Michael Dunne, a former GM executive and China industry expert. High levels of vertical integration — it has its own battery and energy storage divisions and a computer chip unit — a background in battery making and a good deal of patience have all made the group a formidable up and coming competitor in the global car industry. But while Tesla has worldwide recognition, BYD is little known for now in international markets. In the rest of the industry, executives recognise it is only a matter of time before this changes and China becomes a big deal in the global electric vehicle market.

Please use the sharing tools found via the share button at the top or side of articles. Copying articles to share with others is a breach of FT.com T&Cs and Copyright Policy. Email [email protected] to buy additional rights. Subscribers may share up to 10 or 20 articles per month using the gift article service. More information can be found here.

“There’s just a lot of super talented and hardworking people in China that strongly believe in manufacturing,” Tesla chief executive Elon Musk told an FT conference in May. “And they won’t just be burning the midnight oil; they’ll be burning the 3am oil.”

Among the Chinese companies that are hoping to use the transition to electric vehicles to catapult themselves to global significance, BYD is unique. Unlike many of the country’s other established manufacturers, such as FAW and SAIC, it is not state owned. It is listed in Hong Kong and also has significant private backers including Warren Buffett’s Berkshire Hathaway, which bought a stake in 2008 and now owns about 8 per cent of the company. Founded by former university professor Wang Chuanfu in the mid-1990s, it started out as a manufacturer of rechargeable batteries before expanding into the car industry in the early 2000s. Like other manufacturers in the region, including South Korea’s Hyundai, the group initially developed its business by “reverse engineering” cars from established brands, before developing its own models.

About half the cars currently sold by BYD are plug-in hybrids that China counts as “new energy vehicles” alongside pure battery and hydrogen-powered models. Other types of hybrids, such as the “full hybrid” models of the Toyota Prius, are not classed in China as NEVs because they cannot travel long distances on battery power alone. Despite Beijing’s classification of plug-in hybrids as NEVs, environmental campaigners have long argued that they should not be designated as clean vehicles because they also have traditional engines and are only emission free when running on battery power alone. One reason BYD has overtaken Tesla on sales is pure luck. Shanghai, the location of Tesla’s biggest factory in China, was locked down for two months. Data provider EV-volumes estimated the lockdown cost Tesla between 80,000 and 100,000 vehicles. BYD, however, was less affected because most of its production is in the southern Shenzhen region. However, this stroke of good fortune bestowed by geography belies BYD’s longer-term advance as a serious competitor not only to Tesla but carmakers round the world. While it has not been without setbacks, the company is being investigated by authorities in China about the effects of harmful pollutants used in paint, BYD’s breadth of in-house expertise, particularly in batteries, has been key.

NutCracker

Country flag
Sometimes you really don't know what you missed. I missed the BYD stock 2 yrs ago, even Warren Buffett invested it 14 yrs ago, earned $10B now, i still didn't buy in at 2020...

Now It's increasd 6 times by market value ... This July it sold 160,000 EVs at USD30,000 average, times than Tesla in China, and also entering several oversea markets.

I will increase my investment in firms from EV and Chip supply chains.

View attachment 167964
Don't have your hopes tied to BYD entering Indian market ..
Tata will provide similar features with 20% less cost and Indian market is really price sensitive and Tata Power will make the biggest charging eco system , so if it's exclusive like Tesla in USA then Chinese brands are not gonna make a dent. ( Tesla might open up it's stations for others in future)

rockdog

Country flag
Don't have your hopes tied to BYD entering Indian market ..
Tata will provide similar features with 20% less cost and Indian market is really price sensitive and Tata Power will make the biggest charging eco system , so if it's exclusive like Tesla in USA then Chinese brands are not gonna make a dent. ( Tesla might open up it's stations for others in future)
BYD India Celebrates 15 Years of Successful Operations in India

Indian bus manufacturer and BYD partner Olectra Greentech has received an order for 2,100 electric buses from Brihanmumbai Electric Supply and Transport (BEST), the local transport operator of the Indian metropolis Mumbai.

NutCracker

Country flag
BYD India Celebrates 15 Years of Successful Operations in India

Indian bus manufacturer and BYD partner Olectra Greentech has received an order for 2,100 electric buses from Brihanmumbai Electric Supply and Transport (BEST), the local transport operator of the Indian metropolis Mumbai.

Partnering doesn't mean shit.. It could be supplying 10% of value chain.
I'm talking about direct selling.

LMAO

Tata Motors wins case against firm that won contract to supply e-buses
Tata Motors had challenged the tender Brihanmumbai Electric Supply & Transport awarded to Evey for supplying 2,100 electric buses

Tata Motors won a case against Evey Trans when the Bombay High Court on Tuesday cancelled a contract awarded in May to Olectra Greentech’s subsidiary for supplying electric buses to the city’s transport agency.
The FILTHY CORRUPT govt that got ChingChong companies tender is kicked out too.

rockdog

Country flag
Another good investing opportunity is Chinese Solar supply chain, there are lots of good companies worth to buy in.

Chinese EV + Soloar product conbination will be hot in the word for coming years. I feel in India market, it would repeat Chinese mobile's success, let's say 80% market share?

Overall, China's total export volume of solar PV products in the 1st half of 2022 was worth $25.9 billion, an increase of 113.1% annually. The ministry attributed this growth to strong demand for its PV products in the overseas markets and the increased price levels.

China’s solar exports double in H1 2022 as module shipments soar

The value of Chinese solar PV exports during the first half of 2022 more than doubled year-on-year as module shipments surged, according to new government figures.

China exported US$25.9 billion of PV products in H1 2022, an increase of 113%, while module exports jumped 74% to 78.6GW, the country’s Ministry of Industry and Information Technology said this week.

The country’s polysilicon output during the six months was around 365,000 tonnes, a year-on-year increase of 53%, while wafer production rose 46% to about 152.8GW.

According to the ministry, China’s H1 2022 crystalline silicon module output increased by 54% to 123.6GW.

Publication of the figures follows a report published earlier this month by the International Energy Agency (IEA) that warned of China’s growing PV manufacturing dominance, suggesting that the country’s share of global polysilicon, ingot and wafer production will soon reach almost 95%.

The IEA said China is the most cost-competitive location to manufacture all components of the solar PV supply chain, with costs in the country 10% lower than in India, 20% lower than in the US and 35% lower than in Europe.

Solar investment in China during the first four months of 2022 increased more than 200% year-on-year to US$4.4 billion, figures from the country’s National Energy Administration (NEA) revealed.

The NEA has forecasted that China could install up to 108GW of solar this year, nearly double the 54.88GW deployed last year.

rockdog

Country flag
Partnering doesn't mean shit.. It could be supplying 10% of value chain.
I'm talking about direct selling.
Who cares you talkng about direct selling or not, those Chiense companies are making money will be good for my investment that's enough.

Even a single battery is much more than 10% cost of an EV.

Do you remember how Micromax dependent on OEM/ODM by Shenzhen before 2015, and how was the situation now in Indian mobile market?

NutCracker

Country flag
Who cares you talkng about direct selling or not, those Chiense companies are making money will be good for my investment.

Even a single battery is much more than 10% cost of an EV.

Do you remember how Micromax dependent on OEM/ODM by Shenzhen before 2015, and how was the situation now in Indian mobile market?

Doesn't matter.. THAT tender is cancelled due to shady practices..

another_armchair

Country flag

First it was bondholders, then it was real estate investors, now it’s new car buyers who are furious at China Evergrande.

The embattled company’s automotive arm, ‘China Evergrande New Energy Vehicle Group’, is under fire for allegedly failing to deliver what it promised to paying customers.

It’s understood that in response, some of those customers paid a visit to one of the car maker’s factories and were shocked by what they found.

(Or should we say, what they DIDN’T find.)

NutCracker

Country flag

Apparently they had built Ghost 1000 cities by 2014-15. All empty no one living in it, no one buying it and now being demolished. All the money spent on building these cities gone in Drain. Someone has paid for it and will lose money spent on it. Banks, builders or government..... 😊😊
funded by POOR FARMERS... let me gib u limk

Last edited:

R1TTER

Country flag

Apparently they had built Ghost 1000 cities by 2014-15. All empty no one living in it, no one buying it and now being demolished. All the money spent on building these cities gone in Drain. Someone has paid for it and will lose money spent on it. Banks, builders or government..... 😊😊
Don't care about their stupid investments but this is criminal wastage of resources! This is why I'm also against urbanization of our semi rural or rural areas with thousands of houses & especially apartments being empty 😒

If you research a bit more the issue isn't just wrt ghost cities, it's actually much worse especially in bigger cities.

lcafanboy

Country flag

Vinash

Country flag
This is a Telugu guy that vlogs from China.

Apparently there's severe Water & Power crisis in China.

Almost no power during entire day and during night, he's been warned not to use AC and other appliances that need more power.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles