China again rejects UN sanctions against Iran

enlightened1

Member of The Month JANUARY 2010
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/8442775.stmhttp://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/8442775.stm

China's ambassador to the United Nations, Zhang Yesui, has said the time is not right to consider more sanctions against Iran.

The UN Security Council, including China, has previously called for Iran to stop enriching uranium and has issued three sets of sanctions.

Iran's leaders insist their atomic programme is only meant for energy-generating purposes.

But the US and its allies fear Iran is trying to develop nuclear weapons.

China has the presidency of the UN Security Council during January, and is one of its five permanent veto-holders.

Timing tangle

Mr Zhang told reporters at the UN that "more time and patience" was needed to find a diplomatic solution to the impasse.

The Chinese ambassador's comments come days after after Iran missed an end-of-year deadline set by the US to respond positively to offers of talks about its uranium enrichment programme.

Plans on how to respond are apparently still up in the air, says the BBC's Tom Lane, at the UN in New York.

Diplomats at the UN say senior figures from Europe, the US, Russia and China will meet later this month to exchange opinions, our correspondent says.

US officials have previously called for "crippling" sanctions in the event of a diplomatic failure.

However, recent reports suggest they are currently thinking of "targeted sanctions" that focus on people and companies involved in Iran's nuclear programme, our correspondent adds.

Analysts say it could take Iran from between 18 months and three years to build a nuclear bomb.

With all this in the background, diplomats say it could be many weeks and even months before a deal is reached at the UN, our correspondent reports.

However, it is possible the US and its allies could roll out new sanctions of their own sooner.

Country flag
Every country that seems has violations in the UN is a big trade partner for China, the Chinese maybe looking at countries that are violators to get the maximum leverage in deals from oil to weapons from Venezuela, Darfur,Iran to North Korea,Pakistan China is there and in most cases the biggest trade partner.

badguy2000

Respected Member
Every country that seems has violations in the UN is a big trade partner for China, the Chinese maybe looking at countries that are violators to get the maximum leverage in deals from oil to weapons from Venezuela, Darfur,Iran to North Korea,Pakistan China is there and in most cases the biggest trade partner.
the biggest trade partner of CHina are EU,USA and Japan.

Compared with the China's trade with EU,USA and Japan, CHina's trade with Venezuela,Darfur Iran and North Korea are peanuts.

Country flag
I am not talking about China's trade partners, but the violators top trade partner coincidentally being China, If the trade with the violators is peanuts for China why is China running after peanuts??

badguy2000

Respected Member
I am not talking about China's trade partners, but the violators top trade partner coincidentally being China, If the trade with the violators is peanuts for China why is China running after peanuts??
well, the reason is very simple. that is :

If some of USA's clients states are "violators", USA and west surely have ways and ideas to stop international community tag them "Violators"(in fact, USA and west always like tagging themselves as "international community )

For example, Israel would be tagged as "violators" thousands of times ,if USA and West did not existed in the world.

Country flag
good post BG but with China being a UNSC member does in bring with it the responsibility of being a part of the international community??

badguy2000

Respected Member
good post BG but with China being a UNSC member does in bring with it the responsibility of being a part of the international community??
guy, when I was young, I liked listenning to the west ratios such as "VOA" and "BBC",because they could provide me many news that I could not hear from CCP goverment.

I still remembered that BBC and VOA usually liked saying " international community urges CHinese government to ......",when I listened to those ratios...

At that time , I thought " what is International community? that sounds cool and honest...."internaional community"must be a much honest and righthearted guy who wants to liberate poor CHinese people from evil CCP government...."

now, many west guys ,including you, suddenly tell me that "evil CCP" is not enemy of "international community " any more. Instead, "evil CCP " is not a part of "internatioal community"...ironic?

why?

guy, forget the "international community".. ,there is never a real "international community" at all .

the "internatinal community" so called by you is just a self-given title of west countries. For west countries, "We" are "international community" and “my enemies" are surelly tagged as "violaters"

guy,

" I am surely good, and those against me must be bad" is just what west guys think now!

But question is here: are west states surely good?

amoy

What's India's stance on sanction against Iran? I'm curious because some frequently speaks on behalf of 'International Community' (a very ambiguous term even if it does exist) as if it had a uniform mind.

ppgj

What's India's stance on sanction against Iran? I'm curious because some frequently speaks on behalf of 'International Community' (a very ambiguous term even if it does exist) as if it had a uniform mind.
india opposes sanctions too -

India Friday backed an international resolution against Iran over its nuclear programme, but qualified it by saying it is opposed to “a renewed punitive approach or sanctions” and stressed the need for “keeping doors open for dialogue”.
More at : India backs IAEA vote against Iran, but opposes sanctions (Lead) http://www.thaindian.com/newsportal...s-sanctions-lead_100281134.html#ixzz0dj2e33hk

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles