China admits true debt levels

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
PBOC Financial Stability Report 2017 said:
The off-balance sheet business continued expansion, while the embedded risks remained. At end-2016, the outstanding balance of the off-balance sheet of banking institutions (including entrusted loans and entrusted investments) registered RMB 253.52 trillion yuan. The outstanding balance accounted for 109.16 percent of the total balance sheet assets,

See page 48
http://www.pbc.gov.cn/english/130721/3390064/2017092716540370024.pdf
This means shadow banking sits at $37 trillion and on-sheet debt is $34 trillion for a grand total of...

$71 trillion or 900% of GDP

:pound::pound::pound::pound::pound:

KumarG

Country flag
This means shadow banking sits at $37 trillion and on-sheet debt is $34 trillion for a grand total of...

$71 trillion or 900% of GDP

:pound::pound::pound::pound::pound:
Not quite, mate. Off B/S liabilities are usually derivatives and contingent liabilities which are quite transparently reported. These are not "debt" in real sense, but more a measure of the depth of some of the derivs market.

Shadow banking debt is that which is not reported at all.

P.S. Off bs liabilities can be risky though, so must be included in measures of risk management.

square

Strategic Issues
i had been writting it since long...
they are in troble...

china is issuing such advisories out of frustration...their import rising , export dipping......trillions of dollor they landed to their exporters are in danger of being non-performing......their banks are in troble...

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Not quite, mate. Off B/S liabilities are usually derivatives and contingent liabilities which are quite transparently reported. These are not "debt" in real sense, but more a measure of the depth of some of the derivs market.

Shadow banking debt is that which is not reported at all.

P.S. Off bs liabilities can be risky though, so must be included in measures of risk management.

Shadow banking is that which is off the books. You are just describing a few of the areas that lending goes into. You also forgot loan sharks which China has seen an alarming increase of broken hands lately.

binayak95

Country flag
Hope this results in a rather rapid downgrading of the Chinese economy from rating agencies. But given that these are the same agencies which sold absolute BS from Morgan Stanley and Standard Chattered before the 2008 crisis, ain't holding my breath.

On the other hand, wonder if this isn't a dangerous thing for the world.

A country in economic freefall will seek to divert the attention of its people (especially if the people have restricted access to free media). And we know what that means: "Uncle Sam is the capitalist devil!! India is the greatest risk to Chinese sovereignty!!"

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Hope this results in a rather rapid downgrading of the Chinese economy from rating agencies. But given that these are the same agencies which sold absolute BS from Morgan Stanley and Standard Chattered before the 2008 crisis, ain't holding my breath.

On the other hand, wonder if this isn't a dangerous thing for the world.

A country in economic freefall will seek to divert the attention of its people (especially if the people have restricted access to free media). And we know what that means: "Uncle Sam is the capitalist devil!! India is the greatest risk to Chinese sovereignty!!"
Uncle Sam has serious debt, but check it compared to Chinese who have sold their sovereignty to debt collectors.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
China is so desperate to track down dead-beat borrowers they are creating a most wanted list.

SCMP said:
Those who fail to repay a bank loan will be blacklisted, and they will have their name, ID number, photograph, home address and the amount they owe published or announced through various channels – including in newspapers, online, on radio and television, and on screens in buses and public lifts.

http://www.scmp.com/news/china/econ...onal-name-and-shame-system-deadbeat-borrowers

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
If and when the bubble bursts; will it not have an effect on the global system too???
How exposed are we to that???

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
This sounds like a mess, global recession and war on the cards. When a BIG tree falls wala dialoue..
I hope #Modi plays his cards right and use this opportunity well.
Should I pull the money out of stocks??

indiatester

Country flag
i am weak in economics
can any one explain what it actually means?
Same here. But let me take an attempt.
If they have 900% their GDP as debt, thats like me having 9x my annual salary as my loan amount. Generally we don't get beyond 4-5x for our loans and thats with us not having any liabilities.
For any country that generally runs on deficit budget, meeting the liabilities is going to be tough.
However we are ignoring the assets China has. IIRC, they have a pretty big investment in USD to the tune of 1.1x trillion!
Hope they have other assets too to cover for the $71 trillion debt.
Very highly leveraged IMO. But thats what some have been saying for a while and China has been doing pretty fine thankfully. I don't want any global slowdown anytime soon.

Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Detests Jholawalas
Ambassador

Shadow banking is that which is off the books. You are just describing a few of the areas that lending goes into. You also forgot loan sharks which China has seen an alarming increase of broken hands lately.
Assets are always more than GDP. I dont know how this graph shows anything. (I can have 100k income/year but 1 million of assets).

By default for a banking institute assets=liability. They dont own anything. They have creditors and debitors.

Screambowl

Ghanta Senior Member?
Country flag
Same here. But let me take an attempt.
If they have 900% their GDP as debt, thats like me having 9x my annual salary as my loan amount. Generally we don't get beyond 4-5x for our loans and thats with us not having any liabilities.
For any country that generally runs on deficit budget, meeting the liabilities is going to be tough.
However we are ignoring the assets China has. IIRC, they have a pretty big investment in USD to the tune of 1.1x trillion!
Hope they have other assets too to cover for the $71 trillion debt.
Very highly leveraged IMO. But thats what some have been saying for a while and China has been doing pretty fine thankfully. I don't want any global slowdown anytime soon.
How would be american debt on china?

sthf

Country flag
Damn!!!!

@Armand2REP Isn't most of China's debt local and not international? What are consequences of having a huge local debt?

Economic illiterate here.

indiatester

Country flag
How would be american debt on china?
Basically USA owes $1.1x trillion to China because China bought US treasury bonds. Think of it as fixed deposit China made with US and US has to pay it back when the bonds mature.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
If and when the bubble bursts; will it not have an effect on the global system too???
How exposed are we to that???
Indeed, the current global financial system has based its projections on a China that doesn't collapse under the weight of its own debt. Any markets that rely on China will be adversely affected. Commodity producers will be the hardest hit but all stocks across the board will see heavy drops from the shock. They may or may not rebound depending on how deeply the reliance on Chinese growth was factored into forecasts. The core of US investment portfolios (blue chips) will be wiped out: Apple, Boeing, Walmart, GE ect. Anyone who has relied on or planning to do business in China will fall. It will be a rude awakening when the world realizes that the 1 billion super consumers they were counting on aren't there and now know without a doubt will never be.

Yggdrasil

Country flag
I don't really know why this surprises people. When you build massive highways going from nowhere to nowhere, ghost towns, and churn out steel in millions of tons that barely sells for its production costs, who is going to pay for it?

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
Indeed, the current global financial system has based its projections on a China that doesn't collapse under the weight of its own debt. Any markets that rely on China will be adversely affected. Commodity producers will be the hardest hit but all stocks across the board will see heavy drops from the shock. They may or may not rebound depending on how deeply the reliance on Chinese growth was factored into forecasts. The core of US investment portfolios (blue chips) will be wiped out: Apple, ........
This is all I need; I am happy with this.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles