Chilli-based PAVA shells being considered as replacement for pellet guns

Mikesingh

Professional
Country flag
NEW DELHI: With eye injuries caused by use of pellet guns in Jammu & Kashmir turning into a major controversy, an expert panel of the home ministry is exploring whether these can be replaced with newly-developed PAVA shells, a chilli-based non-lethal munition which temporarily incapacitates the targets and renders them immobile for several minutes.

The bhut jolokia was confirmed by Guinness World Records in 2007 as
the world's spiciest chilli Photo: CEN

Though a final decision is yet to be taken, government sources said a seven-member panel involving officers from home ministry, BSF, CRPF, J&K Police, IIT-Delhi and Ordnance Factory Board is considering their use for control crowd. The panel is expected to submit its report soon. These shells have been developed by the Indian Institute of Toxicology Research (IITR), a laboratory in Lucknow under the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR).

The expert panel is learnt to have held a demonstration of PAVA shells at a test field belonging to CISF in the NCR earlier this week. Home minister Rajnath Singh said on Thursday that an alternative to pellet guns would be found in the coming days.

"In 2010, it was said pellet gun is a non-lethal weapon which can cause least damage but now we feel there should be some alternate to this," he said. The Army had last week suggested to the committee that it should opt for less lethal munition while controlling crowds in J&K. Northern Army commander Lt Gen DS Hooda had also said security forces should use less lethal weapons such as sound cannons, pepper shotguns and chilli grenades. "Alternative non-lethal weapons are available to disperse crowds during demonstrations. The panel sought our inputs and we have suggested that sonic weapons, pepper ammo and chilli grenades could be less harmful. The government is looking at these options," he had said.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...tm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=Top_Headlines

Hopefully these chilli grenades will choke them and bring tears to the eyes of the stone pelters!! However, these have been used before by the Indian Army.

They had used “chilly grenades” developed by Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) at its facility in Tezpur, northern Assam to capture the terrorist Javed Ahmed from Muzaffargarh in the Punjab Province of Pakistan, hiding in a cave last year using a chilli grenade to smoke him out.

The chilli grenade is a non-toxic weapon and when used would force a terrorist to come out of his hideouts as the smell is so pungent that it would literally choke them.

‘Bhut jolokia’ – recognized as the hottest of spices, measured in Scoville heat units of which is 1,001,304 is one of the key ingredients used in “chilly grenades which were developed by DRDO and already trials for the hand grenades mixed with the world’s hottest chilli ,so far have been found satisfactory and this was first instance of Indian Army using it to flush out terrorist.

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
Yesterday, i was watching a program of Brahmos installation in Arunachal pradesh. They showed the poor infrastructure of the Arunachal pradesh and showed how they stand by India in chinese incursion. one girsl told that her college is 168 KM away from her home and wished that it may be near her home so that they may study. All people had smile on their faces and they were waiving the Tiranga. I compared in may mind with those Traitor Muzzies of Kashmir. Sallon ko itana kuchh bhi dene ke bavjud gaddari aur gaddari. Now they have got concession that they will not face pallets also. Now they can freely go on rampage and whatever they like.

Darth Malgus

Country flag
Yesterday, i was watching a program of Brahmos installation in Arunachal pradesh. They showed the poor infrastructure of the Arunachal pradesh and showed how they stand by India in chinese incursion. one girsl told that her college is 168 KM away from her home and wished that it may be near her home so that they may study. All people had smile on their faces and they were waiving the Tiranga. I compared in may mind with those Traitor Muzzies of Kashmir. Sallon ko itana kuchh bhi dene ke bavjud gaddari aur gaddari. Now they have got concession that they will not face pallets also. Now they can freely go on rampage and whatever they like.
What do you expect from Jihadi's ? These are the same people who chased out the Kashmir pundits. Its not about freedom, they don't like being part of a "Hindu country" as they call it..

I think they might be a better option, from what i hear from the stories ..these Grenades in instantly incapacitate someone.

Mikesingh

Professional
Country flag
Skunk bomb?

But I personally feel it will have no effect on those fukin Kashmiri stone pelters as they stink more than the skunks themselves! Jeeez!

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
What do you expect from Jihadi's ? These are the same people who chased out the Kashmir pundits. Its not about freedom, they don't like being part of a "Hindu country" as they call it..

I think they might be a better option, from what i hear from the stories ..these Grenades in instantly incapacitate someone.
I think that we should tell them that now you are free. None of us shall come to Kashmir except our forces. And do not expect anything from us. Starve them from Milk and medicine. Only those who support india shall get it. Let these muzzies manage it themselves. Salen Bhukhe mar jayege.

OneGrimPilgrim

Country flag
I think that we should tell them that now you are free. None of us shall come to Kashmir except our forces. And do not expect anything from us. Starve them from Milk and medicine. Only those who support india shall get it. Let these muzzies manage it themselves. Salen Bhukhe mar jayege.
you should see the rudaali of Kashmiri sunni 'leaders' & media-bhaands on that!

Chinmoy

Country flag
Just take a truck filled with pig heads and start scattering the heads everywhere, no protester will even come close. Mount a pig head on every CRPF bunker. Problem solved.
Pork se yaad aaya................. Pork with Bhoot Jolokia (Ghost Pepper) and Mustard Green is a delicacy over in Assam, Nagaland and Manipur............. Yummy. :biggrin2:

aditya10r

Mera Bharat mahan
Country flag
Man I loved those guns.......................................................

busesaway

lol at the pig comment.

I'm surprised we don't just build a massive ornamental "Great Wall of Bharat" across the Indian-Kashmir border and only let the nice ones through. It will become a tourist attraction too!

Screambowl

Ghanta Senior Member?
Country flag
dono taraf se khaty hai saly.. inke sath Pakistan sahi karta hai ..
ghusa deta hai punjabio ko LOL

Bharat Ek Khoj

Home Minister Rajnath Singh approves use of chilli-based PAVA shells for crowd controlling ahead of his visit to Kashmir: official sources.

aditya10r

Mera Bharat mahan
Country flag
Just spray the protesting group with water and drop a live electricity wire in the puddle and call it an accident. No need for pava and bava crap guns, we don't want to open garam masaala shop in Kashmir with chili powder pellets.
Hahaha
That's a good idea will shut the terrorist sympathisers for a week at least

DingDong

Country flag
PAVA shells will not be effective, crowd will soon invent counter-measures using household items. None of the chemical weapons lethal/non-lethal ever proved to be effective in open areas despite all the hype and grotesque images of the victims floating around showing their effect.

Government will need to learn it the hard way.

WARREN SS

Country flag
PAVA Shells: Everything you need to know about chilli pepper based teargas grenade which will help in a riots. Indian army will get PAVA shells soon to fight stone pelters in Kashmir.
Home Minister Rajnath Singh already said that government is searching an alternative to pellet guns.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles