Chidambaram pleads Indian human resources to return back

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
Asking the young talent to contribute in building India, Union Finance Minister P Chidambaram today asked country's human resources to return back after spending few years in other parts of the world to meet challenges of their own country.

"After 11, 12 months your (students) temptation is to migrate to USA or elsewhere in the world...it is a legitimate desire...Indian human resources will find opportunities all over the world...seize these opprtunities...spend few years...but please remember that there is no other place in the world which can challenge you (students) like India," he told an august gathering after formally inaugurating the Indian School of Business (ISB) campus here.

"Spend a few years wherever you feel whether in USA, Europe, Latin America, East Asia or Africa, but please remember it is only India and no other place that can challenge you (students)," he said.

He asked the young talent to ask themselves a few questions as to where in other country of the world one need to add 1,00,000 MW of power, construct thousands of kms of roads, bring drinking water and sanitation to over 700 million of people.

"The greatest challenge is to build India," he said referring to the brain drain.

"At some stage or the other return back and help build India...challenge is not only in business but elsewhere too," he said.

Expressing concern over "limited world class institutions" in the country, he said that he had exhausted all five fingers of one of his hand in listing these institutions.

"We have one institution of world class in Science, a couple in engineering and technology, one in Mathematics and one in international studies," he said, adding that the country need to build world class institutions.)

Talent is distributed throughout the country, Chidambaram said, adding that the important task is to build world class institutions as is reflected in the ISB.

He urged the managements of the world class institutions not to compromise on merit during entry level of students.

The Union Finance minister said that his ministry was committed to education loan programme by the banks.

"24 lakh students in India have borrowed loan for education and the outstanding amount with the banks is to the tune of Rs 52,000 crore," he said, adding that banks must lend more money for the purpose of education.

Chidambaram regretted that hardly anyone comes back to build power sector or other areas back in India.

He said that the government would romp individuals outside it to build something new for the country.

"Help government to do its work," he told the young talent.

Hailing business houses for investing in education, Chidambaram said that "what they get out of business is far less satisfying than what they give to the society."

He said that talent is enormous in the country what is missing is opportunity. "There is huge talent in India, but the opportunities are limited," he added.

There is imbalance between the talent available and the opportunity prevalent in the country, Chidambaram said.

He said that there was a need to have 18 universities in Punjab as against eight being recently set up and at least 80 universities in the country.

The Union minister regretted that the universities and colleges in the country are becoming "teaching shops." "There is poor infrastructure, unqualified staff, outdated text books, untrained personnel and poor methodology is adopted to teach students," he said.

Chidambaram complimented Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal for his farsightedness in giving land for the campus.

"Opportunities lost by Maharashtra, Tamil Nadu and Karnataka is seized by Andhra Pradesh and thus ISB Hyderabad was born in 2001-02. After 11 years, ISB's second campus came up at Mohali," he said.

"The contribution of government of Punjab will be remembered for many many years," the Union minister said.

"Not only young are farsighted, even the older statesman is farsighted," he said referring to Badal.

Speaking on the occasion, Badal said that the ISB would help in the upliftment of rural Punjab and development of small and medium enterprises.

"The ISB will be a trendsetter and become a school at par with the Harvard," he said.

Badal said that Punjab had attained the growth rate of 6.74 per cent as against the target of 5.9 per cent in the ninth five year plan.

He said that Punjab jumped from the 14th position to third in the national education development index.

The state chief minister said that eight new universities are being set up in the state and 70 new colleges are coming up to boost the higher education.

The foundation stone of the ISB at Mohali was laid two years back and it commenced its operation from April, 2012 with 200 students taking admissions in Post Graduate programme in management. The event was also attended by a high profile gathering including the Chairman of the ISB, Adi Godrej and founding board members of the Mohali campus, Analjit Singh, Rakesh Bharti Mittal, Sunil Kant Munjal and Atul Punj, other members of the ISB Executive Board, senior government officials, business leaders, faculty and representatives from the ISB's Associate Schools, students, alumni and staff.

Endorsing the Board's support, Adi Godrej, Chairman, ISB, said, "Our expansion into Mohali, allowing for a greater geographic outreach apart, has given us an opportunity to foray into important new areas ¿ Manufacturing, Healthcare, Infrastructure and Public Policy ¿ through the specific institutes set up for the purpose.

"This, we believe will provide a significant fillip to nurturing talent and research in areas critical to India's development".

The dignitaries unveiled a plaque to commemorate the occasion. The plaque was designed and created by Padmashree Nek Chand Saini, the creator of the iconic Rock Garden of Chandigarh.

Speaking at the occasion, Ajit Rangnekar, Dean, ISB said, "The inauguration of our Mohali campus is an important milestone in the ISB's eleven year successful history of setting benchmarks in the field of management education".

The ISB operates one school with two campuses in Hyderabad and Mohali and has a unified governance structure, with the ISB Executive Board overseeing and supporting both the campuses.

Chidambaram pleads Indian human resources to return back - Indian Express

hit&run

United States of Hindu Empire
Mod
Enforce lane driving, no horn honking, remove half of the bikes and auto rickshaws. I will come back. :p

hit&run

United States of Hindu Empire
Mod
Come on, setting conditions for a return?
Your Motherland calls you, your coming back should be unconditional, else, don't even think about it.
I have worked a lot In India my brother, My presence in this forum proves my love and care for my nation. I still wants to come back, like desperate. Been to India 4 times in last 2 years with family but after IGI it is like hectic and frustrating especially for the little one. It like been punished for coming back.

I was doing 5-6 CPRs with basic and advance life support systems everyday. With distinction in Medico-legal jurisprudence and Toxicology I made many good changes still in place in my institute. But wasn't able to buy a good computer cause I was paid in peanuts. So that made me to leave and pursue better opportunities.

Some times now I feel like guy in three idiots movie who comes back from USA showing off ( Chatur Ramalingam ) minus his idiocies and funny accent. Unfortunately, that guy looks more real to me than fictional rancho, a mediocre Raju and impractical Farhan. I wish they 3 be earning the same money like Chatur.

and please go easy with me, I am not here to ridicule India. :namaste:

Last edited:

aragorn

yeah come back and fill coffers of corrupt cong. leaders :rolleyes:

spikey360

Crusader
Country flag
and please go easy with me, I am not here to ridicule India. :namaste:
Nah, of course not, I am not eligible enough to be your critic. There is a story behind every parting.

However, here's hoping that you decide to come back here in the future.

BangersAndMash

I know quite a few British born Indians & NRIs who moved to India (some even sold everything) and regretted it BIG TIME & moved back. I won't be posting the reasons, don't wanna upset anyone!

pmaitra

Enforce lane driving, no horn honking, remove half of the bikes and auto rickshaws. I will come back. :p

Well said.

Also, remove bribe seeking cops, improve train reservation availability, enforce cleanliness, kick out squatters from the cities.

Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Detests Jholawalas
Ambassador
I am surprised they picked ISB as an example!! ISB ranks nowhere in research just like other Indian universities.

Definitely need better examples..and something more concrete than management.

As far as going back is concerned, I have no reservations or pre-conditions. I want to be a part of change rather than demand anything.

Last edited:

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
I may be asking too much, but we need to get rid of (people who practice) bribery and nepotism asap.

trackwhack

If even 10% returned back in 3 - 5 years, we would be in so much better shape.

panduranghari

If even 10% returned back in 3 - 5 years, we would be in so much better shape.
Stop encouraging mediocrity, I bet the best of the world would want to come to India and contribute to Indian growth and prosperity. Wasn't this the ideal on which America became the USA.

Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Detests Jholawalas
Ambassador
I am not sure if we everyone who returns does a benefit.

If the remittances one sends back is going to be higher than what they can contribute by being present physically in India, then I would ask them to stay abroad. If you are learning critical skills, which cannot be used/ improved(say advanced medicine or nanotechnology) in India, then stay abroad. Those who can start up a business(specific to western countries) but outsourcable, stay abroad.

Have not compiled other cases, but it is a cost benefit analysis. I would not recommend everyone to come back, but those who can contribute exponentially by coming to India should definitely come back. We definitely need the academia people to go back after they have built enough connections.

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
Union Finance Minister P Chidambaram

"We have one institution of world class in Science, a couple in engineering and technology, one in Mathematics and one in international studies," he said, adding that the country need to build world class institutions.)
come home and make india grow faster so that it aid congress to do more corruption
I know quite a few British born Indians & NRIs who moved to India (some even sold everything) and regretted it BIG TIME & moved back. I won't be posting the reasons, don't wanna upset anyone!
i think except for a couple of one-liner posts , the debate on this thread wias pretty good - the points raised were relevant and necessary to be addressed

nrj quoted Chidam above about a handful of top-class univs and institutes .......

then member natarajan raised the question of corruption .....finally shiv quoted a couple of realistic scenarios where people ditched all only to discover they made the wrong move

i think those are the three main points - where do you fit it - specifiy the institute or univ - are you prepared for the " corruption" and are you able to adjust to life in india - all its aspects ?

the most realistic option i could recommend to all NRI's and indian orgin born outside india is to lobby india to allow some sort of dual nationality or quasi dual nationality .....a sort of ST-NRI ....i.e as an example let's call it Special Talent non resident india

those who are designated such status should be allowed to play a part-time role india's universities and institutes ..... most univs in UK and USA allow sabbatical year besides allowing academic staff a lengthy summer holiday abroad and they can do research or teaching at a univ abroad

NRI's especially those who were born abroad or lived more than 15 years outside india should be realistic enough to realize that there are gonna be huge adjustments to be made and it aint gonna be as smooth as they expected

the quasi dual-nationality or special status which i have suggested should allow for a better transition or instead it allow nri's to make contributions to india on a partial basis without having to give up their position abroad .

of course i havent covered every aspect but that is just a skeleton of the idea.

Last edited:

pmaitra

Emotional Comment:

forget it, typical nri mentality....

Practical Comment:

I am not sure if we everyone who returns does a benefit.

If the remittances one sends back is going to be higher than what they can contribute by being present physically in India, then I would ask them to stay abroad. If you are learning critical skills, which cannot be used/ improved(say advanced medicine or nanotechnology) in India, then stay abroad. Those who can start up a business(specific to western countries) but outsourcable, stay abroad.

Have not compiled other cases, but it is a cost benefit analysis. I would not recommend everyone to come back, but those who can contribute exponentially by coming to India should definitely come back. We definitely need the academia people to go back after they have built enough connections.

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
Create an environment mr. minister, please don't just plead. We still remain very dysfunctional, and corrupt in our ways. Sort out the mess and not just the Indians who have migrated, but possibly the very best of global talent might get attracted.

I am by and large successful in doing a near honk-free drive on our roads. I heavily rely on signal drive and people do tend to respond, at high highways and local drive, alike.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles