Changsha will build world's tallest building "Sky City"

mylegend

YuanDa plan to build 838 meter building within 7 month at Changsha China.

Project Name Skycity

Yuanda, the company the build an 30 story hotel in 15 day, plan to accomplish another feat, build the tallest building in the world in 7 months.

Yuanda have already signed SkyCity Project with city government in Changsha

Height of SkyCity: 838 meter
Number of floors: 220 floors
Building Floor Area: 1 million sq meter

The Building will incorporate residential, hospital, shopping, dinning, cinema and school functions.

P.S. I'm way too lazy to translate, so if anyone find a update of the news just post it. There should be Western media coverage pretty soon.

Source: 远大证实拟在长沙建全球最高楼:造价40亿元 已选址_财经_凤凰网

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
It is purely for posturing. Changsha already has a high vacancy rate for office space and it isn't even a tier 1 city. It makes no financial sense.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Excellent.

A great achievement!

But to what use?

I find the hutongs more exquisite since no other country can replicate it or construct it!

Totally exclusive of China!

Last edited:

p2prada

It looks like a lot of their infrastructure is built thinking about 10 years from now.

mylegend

I heard this thing is not completely approved, so there will be a while for this project to be finalized. It is strange they pick a inner province rather than coastal province for the project. Inner provincial cities does not lack land to the extent like coastal cities.

Last edited:

satish007

it is not popular to build top building now,hard to rescue if get fire.
China should have more central parks which will give china more respect than building this kind of junk.

Tronic

If they can pull it off in 7 months, hats off to the Chinese! It's good to see standards being set. :) Ofcourse, I also hope that in the rush to meet the short timeline, they don't overlook safety standards.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
China is on a tallest, highest, broadest, longest, widest, lowest, biggest, fastest construction spree. Most of it does not make sense. Just some kind of a ego satisfying thing I guess.

Illusive

Country flag
The architecture isn't good. If you are building the tallest structure, make it iconic. This looks more like empire state, but there can only be one empire state.

p2prada

China is on a tallest, highest, broadest, longest, widest, lowest, biggest, fastest construction spree. Most of it does not make sense. Just some kind of a ego satisfying thing I guess.
CCP takes national pride quite seriously.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
CCP takes national pride quite seriously.
Waste of resources on unwanted stuff is BS. It's less about national pride but more about a huge ego that needs to be satisfied. It's just to show off, both to the world (for projection of money and technical power) and it's people (to stay in power)

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
Waste of resources on unwanted stuff is BS. It's less about national pride but more about a huge ego that needs to be satisfied. It's just to show off, both to the world (for projection of money and technical power) and it's people (to stay in power)
Come on it makes much better investment sense to invest in something like that than what we invest our money in. Kudos to the Chinese people. One more thing for them to boast about.

Wonder when Indians are going to start taking national pride seriously?:tsk:

amoy

That's a private investment, or to be an "engineering feat" at best if completed in 7 months. In case it turns out to be a commercial failure, that risk would be with the company (Yuanda) stakeholders, and those silly bankers who finance the project.

Nothing to do with "national pride", just to call a spade spade.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
The highest, tallest, widest, deepest and all that are but indices for 'national pride'

If they were not, who cares that the buildings reach the sky?

But since people care to have marvels, it does appear that it is for national pride too!

masterofsea

It is purely for posturing. Changsha already has a high vacancy rate for office space and it isn't even a tier 1 city. It makes no financial sense.
May be for tourism. China have people. as long as you have something unusual, people will come to see it.

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
Re: YuanDa plan to build 838 meter building within 7 month at Changsha China.

Project Name Skycity
Yuanda, the company the build an 30 story hotel in 15 day, plan to accomplish another feat, build the tallest building in the world in 7 months.
Yuanda have already signed SkyCity Project with city government in Changsha
im neither a prc-lover nor a prc-hater - just on the level about prc ......

i was attracted to the title of this article and actually i primed myself with a lot of respect for prc's project management - UNTIL - i saw the super-fast time frames ...............

then i thought .....oh ! nooooo ! AFAIC - this is another potential bullet train project ...i hope i wont have to say " i told you "

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
That's a private investment, or to be an "engineering feat" at best if completed in 7 months. In case it turns out to be a commercial failure, that risk would be with the company (Yuanda) stakeholders, and those silly bankers who finance the project.
Nothing to do with "national pride", just to call a spade spade.
ah ! i saw your article only after i posted mine above
yes i would agree with you
well said !
only thing i would add :- the financial risk is unlikely to be great bcos there are enough "suckers" whether locally in prc or abroad to finance the project but i would say that the safety risks in doing such a colossal project in 7 months are far greater yet you dont seem to be concerned about those ?

but dont get me wrong - no envy here - in fact fortunately it doesnt affect me - i dont live there nor plan ever to do so
cheers !

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles