Chanakya's Arthashastra

Tibarn

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
I had read the book a long time ago. At that time what most impressive part I found was the use of various vegetable to use enemy army temporray blind, to use arrows dipped into donkey blood with some herbs to use on enemy army to rabies in enemy soldiers and they will bite others and they too will have it.

Other part I found interesting was if a price becomes outlines and becomes adict of girls and wine, how to bring him ofn track and if he does not improve, how to kill him. How to kill a king if he becomes incompetent and who should replace him etc etc. When to make war and when to make peace.

How to administer internal matters. How much profit margin should be on perishable and non perishable goods etc. How to administer brothels. How to build forts and from where to bring elephants and train them. How to make palaces fire proof. What sort of utensil a king should use to get warning of poison. He should always eat food after offering it to dogs and birds so that poison can be detected. How should there be shaving and barber must not be allowed to enter with his own instruments and cloths as he can cut the throat of king of apply poison on it and kill king. How king should beheave with queen. He should always called queen to his room and should not go to queens's room as there can be a plan to kill king there. What should of advisors a king should appoint. etc etc. If an high rank officer is charged with corruption, how a king should deal with it. how to stop corruption and fraud etc etc.

It is a great book on political science and administration and all the aspects are touched in great detail.

What I found odd is some punishments of cutting various parts of body as a punishment or heavy monitory penalty inplace amputation.
Is there a good English translation of it to read?

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
Arthashastra is a great book. I have read some part of that. I have heard that Pakistan army recommends its officers to trad it.

Haldilal

लड़ते लड़ते जीना है, लड़ते लड़ते मरना है
Country flag
who is chanakya to be honest he was a phenomenon. A legend a master , a strategist ,a teacher and a philosopher all rolled into one he was a political genius ,military genius . he defeated alexander and dethroned dhanananda he wrote a book kautilya arthasastra 2400 years before and still a best seller.he was a master of many kings and subjects Arthasastra deals with science of politics ,economics ,warfare, art of governance ,leadership and strategy. law ,foreign policy and international relation are also discussed in it.

The this single treatise on the science of politics has been prepared mostly by bringing together the teaching of as many treatises on the science of politics as have been composed by ancient teachers for the acquisition and protection of earth. Chanakya suggests that “a person must stay away from the people who act as flatterer in front of you but speak ill behind your back. They cause you irreparable damage. Such friendship is like poisonous milk. One must simply stay away from such people.

chanakya suggested that “If you have an evil person on one side and a snake on the other; better opt for the snake as it will bite only for self-defense but the wicked person will not spare any chance of hurting you.chanakya said that Infatuation is the biggest disease, greed is the worst enemy of an individual, Anger is the endless fire and among all possessions, knowledge is supreme.”

Amathyas.

sorcerer

Country flag
What is modern about ancient Chanakya (Column Spy's Eye)

For a vast compendium on how to run a successful regime, produced in 300 BC, it is remarkable that the thematic points made by Chanakya retain their relevance for the world of today -- many of these can be identified and examined by the strategic analysts for adoption by the modern state both for governance at home as well as the handling of foreign relations.

Rihuna

Country flag
One of the Chanakya's thought I'd love to follow in my life is that make sure you are always one step ahead from your competitors or enemy.

As Chanakya's Niti or guides are useful to read and follow. As I've seen individuals follow the writer and books from the other country as not even that is bad. But, You should be aware of our priority and what we have already great than others. Sometimes, books are born by their culture and Chanakya's guides cover almost everything that you need.

I home my opinion is valid as I'm a big follower of Chanakya.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
U.S army war college lecture
=====
Kautilya - Noon Time Lecture - Dr. Larry Goodson

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles