CDS news, updates, discussions and reports

mist_consecutive

Golgappe Expert
Contributor
Country flag

Interesting, currently retired generals, are all out of the picture. I strongly suspect GoI is unhappy with MM Naravane's pussyfooted approach with China, and don't consider him a strong character.

This brings the spotlight back to these gigachads -

Javelin_Sam

Country flag

Interesting, currently retired generals, are all out of the picture. I strongly suspect GoI is unhappy with MM Naravane's pussyfooted approach with China, and don't consider him a strong character.

The biggest Gigachad is the ex Tejas test pilot and ex IAF Chief RKS Bhadauria. Then only the current MRFA chief VR Choudhary will fall in line. Bhadauria sir was several batch senior to him in NDA i guess. MRFA loving Chief who haven't even flown in a Tejas till now needs some ragging from his senior.
Edit: Just realised that Bhadauria sir might have crossed 62 year mark

HawkisRight

Country flag

Tiny dhillon sir seems like...

mist_consecutive

Golgappe Expert
Contributor
Country flag
The biggest Gigachad is the ex Tejas test pilot and ex IAF Chief RKS Bhadauria. Then only the current MRFA chief VR Choudhary will fall in line. Bhadauria sir was several batch senior to him in NDA i guess. MRFA loving Chief who haven't even flown in a Tejas till now needs some ragging from his senior
RKS Bhaduria is indeed a very strong personality. Not sure if the CDS post will be given to an IAF chief because of the current modernization challenges and threats are completely Army-specific (Theaterisation and aggressive China, respectively).
Also since the vice-CDS is from IAF, strong chance CDS will be from Army until at least Theaterisation is completed.

Tiny dhillon sir seems like...
Lt. Gen. YKJ is more competent if you talk about what experiences are relevant. He is also a war hero.

Javelin_Sam

Country flag
RKS Bhaduria is indeed a very strong personality. Not sure if the CDS post will be given to an IAF chief because of the current modernization challenges and threats are completely Army-specific (Theaterisation and aggressive China, respectively).
Also since the vice-CDS is from IAF, strong chance CDS will be from Army until at least Theaterisation is completed.

Lt. Gen. YKJ is more competent if you talk about what experiences are relevant. He is also a war hero.
Lt. Gen Anil Chauhan who is currently serving as Military Advisor to the NSA chaired by NSA Doval is another contender. He is two years senior to ACM VR Choudhary who is the seniormost in service now

daya

Country flag

Vamsi

Country flag

If they bring a retired 3 star officer as CDS, then how can he be above the service chiefs who are 4 stars?
will they promote retired 3star to 4 star?

mist_consecutive

Golgappe Expert
Contributor
Country flag
The same words can be said for GOI also with reference to approach towards China...
GoI can be as strong as the army. If your army chiefs come to you and say we can't defend Ladakh, you can't order the invasion of Aksai Hind.

Doesn't qualify. Have to be of army commander rank. Other 3 stars don't qualify.
? He is Lt. Gen. and 3 star ?

Automatic Kalashnikov

Country flag

Gen Naravane not being a big mouth like some others around him made his approach pussyfooted?

flanker99

Country flag
GoI can be as strong as the army. If your army chiefs come to you and say we can't defend Ladakh, you can't order the invasion of Aksai Hind.

govt wants someone who will speak their language like the late CDS ..i suspect Tiny dhillon sir has strong chance due to his close ties with current govt.
btw how did u came to the conclusion that it was the army that pussyfooted not the govt telling army to be inside LAC and dont start a war

Indrajit

Country flag
Has to be an army commander - GOC in C

From the article you posted:

Sources said that while the gazette notification refers to three-star officers, it means commander-in-chief-level officers and not anyone below this.

mist_consecutive

Golgappe Expert
Contributor
Country flag
Gen Naravane not being a big mouth like some others around him made his approach pussyfooted?
You are comparing him with Late. Bipin Rawat, who indeed had a loose mouth. However, he spoke his mind, albeit coming out as brash.
Naravane was the exact opposite, words eluded his mouth and his body language was too passive, not something you expect from an Army Commander.

A prime example of a strong personality is RKS Bhaduria, ex-IAF chief. Even though he has a short height, his personality comes as dominating.

govt wants someone who will speak their language like the late CDS ..i suspect Tiny dhillon sir has strong chance due to his close ties with current govt.
btw how did u came to the conclusion that it was the army that pussyfooted not the govt telling army to be inside LAC and dont start a war
Both probably did. I threw a guess, I don't know.

Has to be an army commander - GOC in C

From the article you posted:

Sources said that while the gazette notification refers to three-star officers, it means commander-in-chief-level officers and not anyone below this.
But that will essentially eliminate all retired service chiefs as all have crossed 62, except maybe RKS Bhaduria who is 62 (63 this September).

Global Defence

New threads

Articles