Cat meat being sold as mutton in roadside eateries

Peter

Pratik Maitra
Country flag
Cat meat being sold as mutton in roadside eateries

CHENNAI: Meat lovers beware - the succulent lamb chops or spicy roasted mutton pieces at a road side eatery might be prepared from cat meat.

"In the last few months, there has been a spurt in the demand of cat meat," says G Arun Prasanna of People for Cattle in India (PFCI). Volunteers have rescued around 40 stolen cats—meant to be slaughtered for meat—from gypsy colonies at Pallavaram, Avadi, Ayanavaram, and Red hills in the last six months. The largest haul (20) was from Red Hills, followed by Pallavaram (14). Recently, a large number of carcasses and cat skins were recovered at Kotturpuram gypsy colony. "A total of seven police complaints have been registered so far," said a police officer.

A large polythene bag of cat meat weighing anything between two to three kg costs around 100. It is supplied to small vendors and biriyani stalls across the city. They are then sold to unsuspecting customers as mutton preparations. Similar is the case with the vendors selling 'side dishes' near Tasmac outlets in Red Hills, Pallavaram, Avadi , according to Prasanna

"The mutton 65 prepared from cat meat was a hit among tipplers," said Ramesh Kerketta (name changed) from Jharkhand, a former teenage help at a stall near a Tasmac outlet in Pallavaram.

Explaining the modus operandi, S Shanmugham, another volunteer said, the gypsies target cats near MRTS stations and bus depots it is easy to steal and escape. These cats are caught with nets, drugged and stuffed in gunny bags. There is another facet which fuels the demand of cat meat. Many people believe that cat-meat is an aphrodisiac and has several medicinal properties. Quacks prescribe cat meat for impotency, asthma and arthritis , said animal activist Suchitra Rao.

Also, cat meat is considered a delicacy among gypsies. A fortnight ago, PFCI volunteers raided a Narikurawa wedding. Around 20 cats had been slaughtered for cooking cat biriyani. A video clip (a copy of which is with TOI) shows people accepting that the dish was being cooked for guests.

Attempts to contact heads of gypsy community proved futile. Volunteers conducted a sensitisation camp at Poonamallee gypsy colony in January. "We plan to conduct more camps as according to Food Safety and Standards Authority (FSSA) cat meat is unfit for human consumption," said Prasanna.
Cat meat being sold as mutton in roadside eateries - The Times of India

:facepalm: :creepy:

Last edited:

Peter

Pratik Maitra
Country flag
In our school days, we had learnt a lot about food adulteration and its causes and effects. It seems this malpractice has reached astronomical levels in recent years.

:creepy::creepy::creepy:

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
Just Cat? It might be Dog as well or even Crow.

I remember the "Kauaa Biryani" or "Crow Biryani" joke in a film where a guy gets super cheap Biryani and then starts speaking like Crow.

I can't remember so someone tell the film. :lol:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
It must be a part of the programme to encourage Chinese tourists.

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag
Out here in Noida whenever I have to, I prefer only Chicken. Slit and cut in front of me.
Back home in Jaipur, my father is a well known and very strict customer in picking mutton, so there's no issue there.
We rarely try any other animals.

Sambha ka Boss

Out here in Noida whenever I have to, I prefer only Chicken. Slit and cut in front of me.
Back home in Jaipur, my father is a well known and very strict customer in picking mutton, so there's no issue there.
We rarely try any other animals.
Yes, many people prefer buying the meat of animals slaughtered before their eyes. Here we don't buy mutton, only chicken or fish.

Srinivas_K

Country flag
Apart from meat these days oils used by most fast food vendors is derived from waste etc...etc.

amoy

It's said most people don't eat chicken feet and wings and offals except Chinese and just chop them off and throw away. So many are shipped to China as delicacies from America.

Here it's discouraged to stay at the site of slaughter to avoid getting infected with, such as bird flu, if not properly quarantined.

~~Still waters run deep. ~~from my MiPad using tapatalk

Global Defence

New threads

Articles