Captive flight trials of anti-radiation missile soon

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
Captive flight trials of anti-radiation missile soon
Published February 17, 2016
SOURCE : THE HINDU

Captive flight trials of an advanced, state-of-the-art Anti-Radiation Missile (ARM) are planned for April-May this year, and the maiden flight test by year-end by the missile technologists of the Defence Research and Development Organisation.

The air-to-surface tactical missile being developed by Defence Research and Development Laboratory (DRDL) will target the enemy’s air defence capabilities by attacking radars and communication facilities.

The range of the missile is 100 to 125 km and it will be mounted on combat aircraft Sukhoi (Su-30) and Tejas-Light Combat Aircraft.

The missile picks up the radiation or signals of radars and communication facilities and homes on to the targets to destroy them.

According to DRDO sources, scientists will evaluate the performance of the seeker, navigation and control system, structural capability and aerodynamic vibrations during the captive flight trials. These will be followed by ground testing and the missile will be fired from Su-30 during the actual flight trial by year-end. Instead of thrust propulsion, the missile uses dual pulse propulsion system as in the case of LR-SAM. The dual pulse propulsion will widen the envelope as well as the engagement capability of the missile. After coasting the missile for the required duration by firing the first pulse, the second pulse will be initiated just before interception of the target or during the terminal phase, the sources added.

The entire missile is being developed indigenously, including the seeker. The missile will be inducted in about two years after conducting a number of developmental trials.

Only a few countries, including the U.S. and Germany, have ARMs at present, the sources added.

The dual pulse propulsion system could be configured with other air-to-surface and air-to-air missiles, the sources added.

Meanwhile, the induction of LR-SAM (Long Range Surface-to-Air Missile), jointly developed by India and Israel, will begin September-October this year. It was successfully test-fired from INS Kolkata to intercept an aerial target last year and the missile is slated to be launched from warships, INS Kochi and INS Chennai, for similar trials later this year.

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
@Abhijat@A chauhan@Alien@alphacentury@Ancient Indian@anupamsurey@blueblood@brational@Bangalorean@Blackwater@Bornubus@bose@cobra commando@DingDong@DFI_COAS@ersakthivel@gpawar@guru-dutt@hit&run@Indx TechStyle@jackprince@Kharavela@Illusive@I_PLAY_BAD@kafir kaur@LETHALFORCE@Lions Of Punjab@maomao@Mad Indian@OneGrimPilgrim@Peter@pmaitra@Razor@raja696@Rowdy@Rashna@Sakal Gharelu Ustad@sydsnyper@Srinivas_K@Screambowl@sorcerer@Simple_Guy@Sylex21@wickedone@tarunraju@TrueSpirit2@thethinker@VIP@Vishwarupa@VIP@Varahamihira@roma@rock127

Bornubus

Chodi Bhakt & BJPig Hunter
We already have IAI Haroop,Harpy,KH 31,KH 58 and most probably HARM for Mirage 2000 package.

Gessler

Country flag
Only a few countries, including the U.S. and Germany, have ARMs at present, the sources added.
A lot of countries do actually. Even Brazil has developed the MAR-1 which has been sold to Pakistan.

On topic, it appears the range figures quoted (100 to 125km) make it somewhat on par with comparable missiles of the type like US AGM-88 HARM and Russian Kh-31 ARMs. It will be interesting to see what level of interferometry has been developed by DRDO.

The following is a likely picture of the said missile, revealed in a presentation. But I'm not 100% sure that this may be the NGARM, the relatively large nose-cone however denotes powerful passive radar-homing (& home-on-jam) equipment i.e. an interferometric seeker.

The Russian L-111/112 family of interferometric seeker-head for reference :

The missile body seems to have a very conventional design if it is the case. But that's a good thing. It seems a nice platform to develop other versions of ASMs based on this airframe, including anti-ship and ground-attack cruise missiles. But will DRDO have the logical abilities needed to connect such dots? Will have to see.

Gessler

Country flag
A lot of countries do actually. Even Brazil has developed the MAR-1 which has been sold to Pakistan.

On topic, it appears the range figures quoted (100 to 125km) make it somewhat on par with comparable missiles of the type like US AGM-88 HARM and Russian Kh-31 ARMs. It will be interesting to see what level of interferometry has been developed by DRDO.

The following is a likely picture of the said missile, revealed in a presentation. But I'm not 100% sure that this may be the NGARM, the relatively large nose-cone however denotes powerful passive radar-homing (& home-on-jam) equipment i.e. an interferometric seeker.

The Russian L-111/112 family of interferometric seeker-head for reference :

The missile body seems to have a very conventional design if it is the case. But that's a good thing. It seems a nice platform to develop other versions of ASMs based on this airframe, including anti-ship and ground-attack cruise missiles. But will DRDO have the logical abilities needed to connect such dots? Will have to see.
I've been looking around and the missile shown in the presentation actually seems to be a Kh-58 version. I knew it seemed very familiar. Now unless DRDO has decided to copy the Kh-58 (an unlikely move), the image was only for representative purposes.

It's likely that the NGARM could be based on the airframe of the existing Astra Mk-1 BVRAAM. Will have to see.

Immanuel

Country flag
Great news, I see that the LR-SAM's Dual pulse motor tech is being put to good use. Could this mean, the Astra MK-2 has a similar motor? Since this would automatically take its range to over 110 KM while giving it I-Derby-Er like performance i.e 80% of Meteor's performance at roughly a 1/3 the cost. Hmm perhaps, they need to come up with a few more missile types including a 120 km high speed Anti ship missile with a dual pulse motor to be used from various aircraft :) interesting times.

SajeevJino

Long walk
Country flag
We already have IAI Haroop,Harpy,KH 31,KH 58 and most probably HARM for Mirage 2000 package.
HARM comes with Jaguar, CBU 105, Harpoon and AGM 88 all for Jaguar

Mirage 2000 have MICA and PGM's only, they once used the MARTEL missile

SajeevJino

Long walk
Country flag
, they need to come up with a few more missile types including a 120 km high speed Anti ship missile with a dual pulse motor to be used from various aircraft :) interesting times.
I smell such project do exists, to arm medium and light aircraft's

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
Great news, I see that the LR-SAM's Dual pulse motor tech is being put to good use. Could this mean, the Astra MK-2 has a similar motor? Since this would automatically take its range to over 110 KM while giving it I-Derby-Er like performance i.e 80% of Meteor's performance at roughly a 1/3 the cost. Hmm perhaps, they need to come up with a few more missile types including a 120 km high speed Anti ship missile with a dual pulse motor to be used from various aircraft :) interesting times.
Astra RAMJET is under development.

Bornubus

Chodi Bhakt & BJPig Hunter
HARM comes with Jaguar, CBU 105, Harpoon and AGM 88 all for Jaguar

Mirage 2000 have MICA and PGM's only, they once used the MARTEL missile
Do we have AGM 88 ?

SajeevJino

Long walk
Country flag
Do we have AGM 88 ?

It is comes under DARIN -III project , Current status unknown

I sure those older Martel replaced by AGM 88 and Sea Eagle replaced by Harpoon

Bahamut

Good ,let keep the good work up .................................

anupamsurey

Country flag
great news, I was unaware that we were pursuing indigenous anti radiation missile.

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
Astra MK-1 Tested.
Astra MK-2 Light weight composite motor higher range and higher speed.
Astra Mk-3 Remjet engine powered like Meteor.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Just curious ....

Other than Israeli anti radiation self destructing drones, what other inventory of this kind is in service at the moment?

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles