Capt Saurabh Kalia's torture by Pak army still not 'war crime'

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Yusuf,

3 years in NDA and one year in IMA.

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
Neither the NDA was interested in the case nor is the UPA. Capt. Saurabh Kalia's case was and is seen as an hindrance in the peace process pursued between India and Pakistan.

Ray sir,

NDA = BJP led NDA government from '99-'04

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Yusuf,

3 years in NDA and one year in IMA.
Sir, my reply was to the time wasted by UPA over bringing the perpetrators to justice. What I wanted to say is that the NDA was in power for 5 years from 1999-2004. That was the period something could have been done.

As is always the case, the fallen soldiers and their sacrifice are forgotten.

lemontree

Professional
Having said that I don't think all the histrionics on the Indian side are warranted based on the general standard of appreciation for human life, or rather the sheer disregard for human life in the Indian consciousness itself.
Get off your high horse,..you appear to have limited knowledge of the subject.

Let's start by how the Indian armed forces in the year 1999 used their precious soldiers and officers in a US civil war era line attacks against an enemy entrenched on the peaks.
This very post shows how little you know about mountain warfare and infantry assault tactics used by Indian Army.
Assumption is the mother of all F_ups...and you f_ed up big time.

Let's not then forget the coffin scandal which ensued when carrying the bodies of said soldiers. It was clear that the reason for the pathetic state of affairs was on account of mass corruption and an archaic military doctrine that was centered around human attrition superiority* (so to speak).
That has got nothing to do with the fight ability of the army.
It is also worthwhile to see the level of brutality surrounding the Indian armed forces itself in conflict zones, where extrajudicial arrests, torture, killing and other forms of heavy handed violence are all commonplace. (*It is interesting to note the alarming rate of decline in officer recruitment and retention since the Kargil war due to the loss of confidence in the military establishment)
Exceptional cases dont make a norm. By international standards there are very few first world armies that can even compare with the Indian Army in terms of discipline.

Never has the Indian Army tortured captured enemy soldiers.

lemontree

Professional
When I was in COIN ops, my troops a I had an un-written code.

No surrender... and take as many as you can before falling.

Our khalsa troops know it only too well.

natarajan

add to that 5 years of NDA. That was the time it was all fresh.
It is not nda or upa or any stupid netas ,it is indian netas mindset where they have same thought and policy.This is where all parties are united and we people forgot the issue and fight nda vs upa.Anyway we cant go backward so congress has to do

Last edited:

Galaxy

Country flag
add to that 5 years of NDA. That was the time it was all fresh.
You don't miss any chance to pin-point/Blame BJP/NDA and glorify/support Congress. Isn't it? Not a single thread without it. Why don't you say openly? Either you think, Everyone is fool or you consider yourself over smart. Why Most of the Congress supporters are ashamed of themselves to admit they support Congress openly/directly ?

Last edited:

ace009

Freakin' Fighter fan
You don't miss any chance to pin-point/Blame BJP/NDA and glorify/support Congress. Isn't it? Not a single thread without it. Why don't you say openly? Either you think, Everyone is fool or you consider yourself over smart. Why Most of the Congress supporters are ashamed of themselves to admit they support Congress openly/directly ?
Hey - I am no supporter of congress (or of BJP, for that matter). But Yusuf's point is right - the period during and after Kargil was indeed NDA government. Why were the members pointing ONLY to Congress.
Neither the Congress nor the BJP has done anything. nor the IA itself has pushed this far enough with MoD/ MEA - again, question is WHY? The Indian Media has been largely silent back then too. Again - why?
I think it is somewhat in our mindset that we try to show India as a "tolerant" power. However, tolerance only gets you so far. At some point you have to stand up for your beliefs - good to know that IA will not torture enemy POWs, but then GoI should make sure that IA POWs are not tortured either - by making it HUGE ruckus internationally, that the enemies are embarrassed in the world stage. A couple of such incidents and the purse strings of the enemy (especially PA and Pak Govt) will be affected - then and only then will this stop.

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
Galaxy,

Yusuf has a point, and if you ever get a chance of interacting with Dr. Kalia (Capt. Sarubh Kalia's father) you will realise other that assurances, there was nothing concrete done by the then NDA government on the issue. We took up the issue back in '09 and got in touch with Dr. Kalia, who also happens to be a forum member.

In case you personally want to get in touch with him, please visit this thread for details: http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/...s/4823-capt-saurabh-kalia-appeal-tribute.html

On the issue, I think Natrajan is right, this is a mentality that has grown on us Indians to forget and let it be and which then reflects on our politicians, be those of which ever background. I recall back when the incident happened pretty much everyone was up in rage, now most wont even know who Capt. Kalia was.

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
The law and justice system in India used to suck, still sucks and if this system continues, will continue to suck. Many heroes will become villains if righteous justice is not given to people

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
It would be a war crime, provide the GoI takes up the issue.

Will it?

If not, why not?

anoop_mig25

Country flag
off topic but who was upa minister that said kargil was bjp war . is there evidence to it and if its there why did no one took action against it??

lemontree

Professional
off topic but who was upa minister that said kargil was bjp war . is there evidence to it and if its there why did no one took action against it??
The idiot's name is Rashid Alvi, and he is a Member of Parliament.
- His is from Bijnor, UP.
- He is a supreme court Advocate.
- His is from Bahujan Samaj Party.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Again your personal opinion. I stated the fact that the NDA was in power for 5 years and the issue should have been taken up back then when we had won a war and had international support.

Sorry it's you who can't see beyond your bias and I call it as I see it.

And yes I call out the false propaganda too. I am no fool to not understand what's going on.

Like I have said before, that NDA govt had my vote in 1999. Twice! 13 day govt and the election after that. In fact it was the first time I was eligible to vote and I voted for BJP. You cannot look beyond your tunnel vision while I keep my horizon wide.

amitkriit

A nation which doesn't respect it's soldiers and martyrs must cease to exist. Con-Gress is being lead by people who cannot look beyond self. life of common men doesn't mean anything to them.

amitkriit

The law and justice system in India used to suck, still sucks and if this system continues, will continue to suck. Many heroes will become villains if righteous justice is not given to people
Only if it was our prince RG instead of our brave soul Saurabh Kalia, I would have lived with the denial of justice.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles