Capital celebrates Rakshabandhan

RPK

Indyakudimahan
Country flag
Capital celebrates Rakshabandhan

New Delhi (PTI): Rakshabandhan, symbolising the eternal bond of love between brother and sister, was on Wednesday celebrated with traditional fervour in the national capital with people visiting their siblings with gifts and sweets.

Dressed in their fineries, sisters daubed foreheads of their brothers with vermilion and tied colourful Rakhis on their wrists and prayed for their happiness.

Youngsters also visited temples in various areas of the capital.

"It is a festival which is so close to my heart.I woke up early in the morning and offered puja for my elder brother.

Then I tied a Rakhi on his hand in turn he pledged to protect me from all adversities," says Riti, a student of Jawaharlal Nehru University.

People from South India are celebrating the Avaniatam festival today in which brahmins go to temples to perform puja and change their holy threads.

"We went to the nearby temple for the puja to change our poonal (sacred thread). The rituals went on for around two hours. A lot of delicacies are being prepared at home and I am waiting to feast upon them", said G. Arvind, an engineering student, who participated in the festival here.

Delhi Metro has decided to run 60 extra trips today to cater to the extra rush of people. The DMRC will also deploy additional personnel to cater to the extra rush of commuters.

The Delhi Government has offered free travel for women in DTC buses as well low-floor buses today to facilitate their journey to the houses of their brothers.

Security has been tightened on streets and crowded places like markets and popular hangouts like India Gate to avoid any untoward incident.

Happy Rakshabandhan :ar::ar:

Arjak

Respected Member
Country flag
Happy raksha bandhan to all!!!.......yang's gonna give 5 rakhis to em today!!!..... lolz

amitkriit

Why is Rakshabandhan a festival of Brother and Sister love only, don't same sex siblings love each other? What about them?

S.A.T.A

Why is Rakshabandhan a festival of Brother and Sister love only, don't same sex siblings love each other? What about them?
As the name itself suggests its not just about sibling love but also sibling protection(Raksha).Brothers being men can fend for themselves,same was not thought to be the case with sisters,they being women had to be protected all the time.

Rakshabandhan although has less familiar beginnings.It started of as one of the many thread ceremonies among the Brahman community.Usually Brahmans have tow major thread wearing ceremony, the individuals first Upanayana ceremony(being initiated into the life of a Brahmana)and the Upakarma ceremony(when the sacred thread is renewed every year).The Upakarma dates usually coincide with the Rakshabandan.In the old days during the Upakarma, the patriarch of the extended Brahman family(even Kshatriyas have the same ceremony)ties a auspicious thread around the wrist of the younger members,offering protection against evil and other earthly distractions.

The festival in its current forms owes its origin to the Upakarma ceremony practiced by Kshatriya Rajput clans.Although it involved wearing a new holy thread.While the Brahman renewed their thread with a resolve to rededicate to the Brahman way of life by reciting the Vedas ,the Kshatriyas by renewing their holy thread,resolved to rededicate their lives to the Kshatriya code,which was to defend the country or kingdom and the fellow community.

In later times women of the Rajput community would tie the holy thread to the wrist of the ruling Rajput patriarch and much later into the brother sister ceremony that we recognize today.

P.S:BTW how many of you turned out to be reluctant Bhayyas's on the day.....if you got the drift :)

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Happy Raksha Bandhan to all my friends and their sisters :D

Sridhar

House keeper
Country flag
Happy Raksha bandhan to all.

EnlightenedMonk

Member of The Month JULY 2009
I'm sure that if any of the beautiful chicks on the site come online with the intention of tying a rakhi, all of the guys will run away (log off) :D:D:D:D:D

Member of The Month SEPTEMBER 2009
Happy Rakshabandhan to all.Like me i hope all the brother 's across the country have lighter pockets today.

Antimony

I'm sure that if any of the beautiful chicks on the site come online with the intention of tying a rakhi, all of the guys will run away (log off) :D:D:D:D:D
MoM,

Lesson for you to turn a problem to an opportunity. When other guys run, you have the beauties to yourself.

Picture yourself seated on a chaise lounge, surrounded by a bevy of DFI beauties (send Neha shopping or something), while you paitently explain to them that Rakhi is about friendship and protection, not about that stupid brother sister thing.
:D:D:D:D

Believe me, it works:wink:

Rage

DFI TEAM
Rakshaa Bandhan

http://www.hindunet.org/festivals/raksha_bandhan

Rakhsha Bandhan fervour grips Indians

Wednesday is Rakhsha Bandhan day and Indians around the globe are gearing up to mark the popular Hindu festival which celebrates the relationship between brothers and sisters and is marked by the tying of a rakhi, or holy thread, by the sister on the wrist of her brother.

Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Tuesday greeted the nation on the occasion saying it reinforced the sanctity of traditional familial ties.

“The festival of Raksha Bandhan reinforces the sanctity of our traditional familial ties. It provides an opportunity to bridge differences and strengthen the bonds of fraternity and brotherhood,” said the prime minister in his message.
In New Delhi, Chief Minister Shiela Dikshit announced that women in the capital city can enjoy a free ride in Delhi Transport Corporation (DTC) buses on Wednesday on the occasion of Raksha Bandhan.

“The decision has been taken to ensure that women can easily reach their brothers’ place,” Dikshit said.

The ceremony

On Rakhsha Bandhan day, the sister ties a thread (called rakhi) on her brother’s hand following which sweets and gifts are exchanged and the brother makes a vow to protect her.

There are many legends that depict that this festival was used as a tool by rulers to establish friendships with the enemies and also build relationships with neighbouring regions and states in the Indian sub-continent.

One of the earliest documented accounts of Raksha Bandhan dates back to the Middle Ages when Rakhi was already associated with protection of the sister. It is said that Queen Padmini asked the Mughal emperor Humayun for help against an invasion by the sultan Mohammad Khilji. Touched by the gesture, Humayan accepted her as his sister and promised help.

Riot of colours

Weeks before Raksha Bandhan, shops stock colourful rakhis from plain to elaborate that the sisters can choose from. Many buy in bulk, whereas others make their own rakhis.

Sisters and brothers who don’t live in the same city either mail rakhis and gifts across or exchange electronic rakhis, which are also acceptable. In fact, many websites offer e-rakhis and cards.

Xpress: News | Rakhsha Bandhan fervour grips Indians

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles