Canada 'thwarts major terror plot'

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
Canada's authorities are expected to announce they have foiled a plot to carry out a major terrorist attack, media reports say.

The Canadian Broadcasting Corporation says the alleged plotters were arrested on Monday morning after being under surveillance for more than a year.

It reports that the arrests took place in Ontario and Quebec.

Police are due to give more details shortly. The plot was not linked to the Boston Marathon bombings, reports say.

The investigation involved a cross-border co-operation involving America's FBI and the Department of Homeland Security, according to the CBC.

The alleged targets were in Toronto and southern Ontario, an unnamed official was quoted as saying by the Toronto Star newspaper.

The police are expected to hold a news conference at 13:30 local time (19:30 GMT).

"I cannot confirm any details. These will be provided at the press conference," Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RMCP) spokesman David Fallf told the AFP news agency.

The reported arrests come as Canadian lawmakers debate a proposal to strengthen the country's anti-terrorism measures.

BBC News - Canada 'thwarts major terror plot'

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Canada foils 'al-Qaeda inspire' terror attack on train

Canada's authorities say they have arrested and charged two people with conspiring to carry out an "al-Qaeda inspired" attack on a passenger train.

At a news conference, the authorities said the suspects Chiheb Esseghaier, 30, and Raed Jaser, 35, were arrested in Montreal and Toronto on Monday.

They allegedly planned to derail a VIA passenger train in the greater Toronto area. It was not clear when.

The suspects will now appear in court on Tuesday for a bail hearing.

The Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) said the surveillance operation leading to the arrests of the two suspects was "a result of extensive collaborative efforts".

They said the two men were not Canadian citizens and were supported by "al-Qaeda elements in Iran" but there was no evidence of state sponsorship.

Their plan was to derail a train and "kill and hurt people".

Chief Spt Jennifer Strachan said the two men had sought to target "a specific route, but not necessarily a specific train".

At the same time, the RCMP said they believed the plot was in the planning stage and "there was no imminent threat to the general public".

"Each and every terrorist arrest the RCMP makes sends a message and illustrates our strong resolve to root out terrorist threats and keep Canadians and our allies safe," Assistant Commissioner James Malizia said.

The RCMP also said that America's FBI agents were involved in the operation to foil the attack.

BBC News - Canada foils 'al-Qaeda inspire' terror attack on train

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
Why attack Canada?

For participation in NATO?

Sent from Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

IBSA

Country flag
What taken my atention is the declaration of police that terrorists were linked to "Al-Qaeda elements in Iran".

How the hell is this connection possible??? Al-Qaeda and Iran have ideologies contrary each other, and even are enemies.

Notwithstand, contradictions don't stop here. Soon after the police says "no evidence of state sponsorship". If Canadian policia dont have anyone evidence, how the hell they states that?? So, everything is merely speculation...

I think this type of News has the only goal to distract the people's atention of Boston bombings.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
What taken my atention is the declaration of police that terrorists were linked to "Al-Qaeda elements in Iran".

How the hell is this connection possible??? Al-Qaeda and Iran have ideologies contrary each other, and even are enemies.

Notwithstand, contradictions don't stop here. Soon after the police says "no evidence of state sponsorship". If Canadian policia dont have anyone evidence, how the hell they states that?? So, everything is merely speculation...

I think this type of News has the only goal to distract the people's atention of Boston bombings.
One of the guy was Tunisian, the other Palestinian.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Chiheb Esseghaier, the younger of two men charged in the al Qaeda train plot, is a Tunisian-born PhD student at a Université du Québec nanotechnology lab who was threatened with expulsion for his disruptive behaviour and strict religious views that alienated his colleagues.

One colleague at Institut National de la Recherche Scientifique (INRS) in Varennes, Que., described Mr. Esseghaier, 30, as "a brainwashed person, basically," who tore down posters he did not approve of, and pestered the administration to install a prayer room.

"He had very strict religious behaviour that made many people frustrated," said the colleague, who asked that his name be withheld. "He had problems with the administration."

His co-accused, Raed Jaser, 35, is a Palestinian with citizenship in the United Arab Emirates, who has permanent resident status in Canada. Search warrants were being executed Monday at his home in a Toronto suburb, where neighbours said they have seen a group of young men in traditional Muslim garb weightlifting.

''If I was outside, or getting into my car, he wouldn't even say hello. He was a very reserved guy. They kept entirely to themselves,'' said Sanjay Chaudhary, 47, who lives next door.

Mr. Esseghaier has a lengthy public profile, including several academic publications on new methods for detecting prostate cancer and HIV, and a profile page on the professional networking site Linkedin that is illustrated with the black flag of the Islamic State of Iraq, an umbrella group of Iraqi insurgent groups affiliated with al Qaeda.

Canadian terrorist plot was planned by Chiheb Esseghaier, Raed Jaser | Canada | News | National Post

pmaitra

There are very possibly al-Qaida elements in Iran. They are just not patronized by the Iranian government, rather by the Saudis, just like some amongst the Shia dominated oil rich eastern Saudi Arabia are patronized by Iran. I can confirm the presence of Iranians in J&K insurgency as well. Don't ask me how I know.

You are right, however, al-Qaida and Iran are enemies.

IBSA

Country flag
There are very possibly al-Qaida elements in Iran. They are just not patronized by the Iranian government, rather by the Saudis, just like some amongst the Shia dominated oil rich eastern Saudi Arabia are patronized by Iran. I can confirm the presence of Iranians in J&K insurgency as well. Don't ask me how I know.

You are right, however, al-Qaida and Iran are enemies.
If there are al-Qaeda elements in Iran, likely they are of Jundallah, a baloch fundamentalist terrorist group patronized by ISI to desestabilize Iranian Balochistan. Israel and USA cooperate with them too.

But it would be surprising someone linked to a terrorist group backed by USA attack them. Maybe a karma: what u did returns against yourself later.

Blackwater

One of the guy was Tunisian, the other Palestinian.
Canada should reformed its immigration policy. they should restrict immigrants and asylum seeker from these areas and other areas related to them(hope u know wat i mean):sad::sad::p:p

pmaitra

Canada train 'al-Qaeda plot' suspects in court

Chiheb Esseghaier declined to be represented by a court-appointed lawyer

Family members of Raed Jaser, including his father, centre, leave court in Toronto on Tuesday

'Hilarious'
Iranian Foreign Minister Ali Akbar Salehi said it was "ridiculous" to suggest any connection between al-Qaeda and Tehran.

"This is the most hilarious thing I've heard in my 64 years," Mr Salehi told the Iranian Isna news agency.

Al-Qaeda - a militant Salafist Islamic movement - preaches a radical anti-Shia ideology that is seen as placing it firmly at odds with Shia Iran.
Source: BBC News - Canada train 'al-Qaeda plot' suspects in court

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
So Al-Qaida has reached successfully to "The West".

There are over 1 Million Muslims in Canada(country of only 34.5 Million) and only few radicals would be enough to create havoc.

sorcerer

Country flag
So Al-Qaida has reached successfully to "The West".

There are over 1 Million Muslims in Canada(country of only 34.5 Million) and only few radicals would be enough to create havoc.
See..as I see it..these terror outfits have a great tool with them.The Belief system.
Brainwash a follower ,fill him with hate,scare him with concept of hell ,show him the bonus points and numbers, give him dreams about 72 virgins(without revealing their gender ,ofcourse) and viola, you have an 'enemy combatant' with suicide vest, planning to achieve some kinda instant nirvana by backstabbing at his own society which has nurtured him/protected him/built him and given him the freedom and achievements.

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
See..as I see it..these terror outfits have a great tool with them.The Belief system.

Brainwash a follower ,fill him with hate,scare him with concept of hell ,show him the bonus points and numbers, give him dreams about 72 virgins(without revealing their gender ,ofcourse) and viola, you have an 'enemy combatant' with suicide vest, planning to achieve some kinda instant nirvana by backstabbing at his own society which has nurtured him/protected him/built him and given him the freedom and achievements.
:rofl::rofl:

Yeah I know the same old "My God is the best" "My God can beat your God"

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
Its kinda like a religious ponzi scheme.
So may youths with potential burning out for nothing.:tsk:
Actually it's a PITY to see that these IDIOTS are getting all the benefits which their poverty ridden country can NEVER provide to them and still they are harming the country which feeds them. :tsk:

The West on the other hand is turning a blind eye and letting these idiots coming and settling and letting them populate like rats.The future demographics of future is gonna be dangerous.The liberal stance of the west si gonna cost them bad.Already showing signs.Watch the below........

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles