Can you eat beef and still be a "Hindu?"

If you eat beef, can you still be considered a "Hindu?"

• Total voters

Blademaster

Stupid and foolish topic. All Hindus in the west do eat beef. It has a large scale availability together with chicken, hence it is eaten.
No they do not. A large majority of Hindus out in the west are vegetarians. I know. 3/4 of my family here in the US are strict vegetarians.

Jimih

Country flag
Kya karega woh when in India itself they will never do a central govt ban of beef?
Beef ban karengay toh North East or Goa mein sarkar nahi gir jaayegi.

Supremo himself dont want ban.

Autofive

Country flag
Beef was never prohibited by Hinduism.

The importance of cows increased by the 1st millennium BCE largely because of their association with gods and financial aspects.

Vamsi

Country flag

The importance of cows increased by the 1st millennium BCE largely because of their association with gods and financial aspects.
prove it

here2where

Interesting.

Inter-web is full of how Brahmins used to eat beef (prasad after the Vedic havans when cow was ritually sacrificed) and how the race with Buddhists on "who is more ahimsa vadi" contest made Brahmins go fully veg.

Eager to hear/get reading links on both sides of the argument.

Autofive

Country flag
Interesting.

Inter-web is full of how Brahmins used to eat beef (prasad after the Vedic havans when cow was ritually sacrificed) and how the race with Buddhists on "who is more ahimsa vadi" contest made Brahmins go fully veg.

No, Buddhists did nothing about it. Gautama Buddha himself used to eat pork.

As I said, it was due to the financial situation and association with gods which stopped them. Not really anything else.

Vamsi

Country flag
No, Buddhists did nothing about it. Gautama Buddha himself used to eat pork.

As I said, it was due to the financial situation and association with gods which stopped them. Not really anything else.
Prove that Vedic and post Vedic Hindus ate beef, put all your evidences here

Vamsi

Country flag
Interesting.

Show me the hymns related to it

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles