Can Hindus have a supreme religious authority? If yes, how?

Can Hindus have a supreme religious authority?

• 1. Yes!

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • 2. No, not possible!

Votes: 11 50.0%
  • 3. They should try!

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • 4. Can not say!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5. I'll provide my own suggestion!

Votes: 4 18.2%

• Total voters

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag
Before asking whether we "can" or not, let us ask whether we "should". IMO, if we try to have a centralized authority, it will just be another case of aping Abrahamics. Harmless things like shaking hands and usage of commas are debated and discussed threadbare on this forum, and something with much more serious ramifications (having a centralized authority) cannot be taken lightly.

Hinduism is diverse. I am not sure if one central authority will even be acceptable or desirable.

A chauhan

"अहिंसा परमो धर्मः धर्म हिंसा तथैव च: l"
Country flag
Well, I failed to put it correctly, I am not asking for a Religious Dictator, nope, I am asking for a leader or an organisation which can codify and unify Hindu rituals and traditions which could be accepted generally by majority of Hindus as not compulsory rules, since we need to remove casteist differences.

punjab47

महाबलामहावीर्यामहासत्यपराक्रमासर्वाग्रेक्षत्रियाजट
Banned
Hinduism is diverse. I am not sure if one central authority will even be acceptable or desirable.
@Bangalorean
Lol just mention me by name it's not commas it'sfactthattraditionalindiclanguageswrittenlikethis

You obviously want people illiterate in the historical texts, so you can rewrite them. Arjun Ji will be a sweeper dalit who marries a Bramin woman to produce next king, right?

Hindus as not compulsory rules, since we need to remove casteist differences.
So, in your warped 'communist' mind two different clans having different deities is 'casteist'. Or you want pratilom, listen man start acting like a Chauhan.

Last edited by a moderator:

LordOfTheUnderworlds

Country flag
You can live in denial or make up what you want,

Ram, Krishna, 24 Tirthankers, 8/10 arhants + Buddha, 10 Gurus all from one Jaati basically.

That's real India,

Not your DINK, liberal, progressive, atheist fantasies.

Not to mention, Sapt Rishis + Ikshvaaku, Manu, etc.

Yea, let's ignore everyone in India except JNU professors. :pound:
India has been through worst times in last few centuries and have achieved fairly good basic nation building and economic development so that now we are at the brink of becoming developed within a generation, all without your Ikshwaku rule (whatever you mean by that). Do you now want to come suddenly and claim the throne for your clan after all this is already achieved?

We don't have any urgency to be saved by yours holiness right now in India.

However, our dear neighbor Pakistan (north-west India) might be in need of your Krupa. Let us hope the converted Ikshwakus in Pakistan produce some Avatar, to lead them away from Islamism towards light, and convert Pakistan from being mercenary state for foreign powers to protector of India's north-west border.

punjab47

महाबलामहावीर्यामहासत्यपराक्रमासर्वाग्रेक्षत्रियाजट
Banned
@LordOfTheUnderworlds
You can believe what you want sitting in the 'south'.
I again ask what is your country's real name?
One who rebels against his king, is the same as one who sells his mother.

Without foreign interference, there is only one natural ruler of this place. By opposing them, you show you're not a Hindu.
--
What do you worship? Ikshvaaku Kul

I would say no western country is 'developed' as they have lost their civilization to Jews. That is real fight, Bharat Varsh will always be strong as long as it follows Dharam.

Last edited:

Screambowl

Ghanta Senior Member?
Country flag
shankracharayas are our dharm gurus. They are the highest priests of Hindus. But orderning a rule in religion is not a part of Hinduism, because this destroys the Advaita Vedanta and philosophy of four Yogas.

If one practices Raja Yoga, then a preist may or may not disband his practice. Which is itself not righteous as per our belief.

Lord Budha went to forest and met many Gurus and learnt from there. So supreme authority is not Valid in this case.

To attain Moksha, no supreme authority can gaurantee it, but only Parmatma.

Mahabharat Happened for righteous (Dharm) not for religion, that pray Shiva, or pray Brahma, or Pray xyz.

And what is righteous, is given in Vedas and Puranas and Bhagwad Gita.

So no need of any supreme authority.

Parmatma is supreme authority that's all.

Dash

shankracharayas are our dharm gurus. They are the highest priests of Hindus. But orderning a rule in religion is not a part of Hinduism, because this destroys the Advaita Vedanta and philosophy of four Yogas.

If one practices Raja Yoga, then a preist may or may not disband his practice. Which is itself not righteous as per our belief.

Lord Budha went to forest and met many Gurus and learnt from there. So supreme authority is not Valid in this case.

To attain Moksha, no supreme authority can gaurantee it, but only Parmatma.

Mahabharat Happened for righteous (Dharm) not for religion, that pray Shiva, or pray Brahma, or Pray xyz.

And what is righteous, is given in Vedas and Puranas and Bhagwad Gita.

So no need of any supreme authority.

Parmatma is supreme authority that's all.
Rishi Janak, father of Sit was practicing Raja yoga. it was rightous according to our system. Its the same reason, and we clearly mis interprete that religion is not related to worship. Like teh religion of a teacher is to teach. A yoga is a practice that is associated with dharma.

Rest all I agree.

DingDong

Country flag
Hinduism is not an organized religion, and several people which includes me will refuse to accept such "supreme religious authority". For me Hinduism is my cultural identity, I don't subscribe to any religious texts or sermons or figures.

Hinduism has evolved naturally, allow it to evolve further.

asingh10

Aryasamaj must be promoted. That is the sole and surviving institution which knows the vedas and speaks against caste system
Arya Samaj has a very semitic interpretation of Vedas and their views on post-vedic hinduism, idol worship, polytheism, other dharmic panths are bad for social fabric. Shakta, Nath, Bhakti traditions etc have been contending caste system for more than 1000 years, when Arya Samaj wasn't even around.

Last edited:

asingh10

More than reviving this dharma or that dharma, I think Hindus should first adopt Chanakyan pragmatism that concerns itself with statecraft & politics. Read books on niti. That is much more important to survival of Hindu civilization than the moksha mongering & high sounding spiritual fluff popular among modern Hindus & their gurus.

asingh10

So, it is not problem of being organized but marketing. Why did the SK Buddhists let their govt. openly side with the missionaries? Or why did SK Sangha give a free pass to their govt.?

It was sold to them under "freedom of religion". Most of the explosion in Korean Christian population happened post Korean war. McArthur provided considerable assistance to the missionaries in the hope of Christianizing Japan & he did the same in S. Korea.

https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/v...us-policy-in-japan-and-its-inqiuence-in-korea

From the same paper, just another e.g. of how secularism serves as a trojan for Abrahamisms :-

Hear all that noise being made by the same usual suspects around the secular constitution in Nepal ? Nepal has been marked for evangelization. Will become another Korea.

Last edited:

parijataka

Country flag
More than reviving this dharma or that dharma, I think Hindus should first adopt Chanakyan pragmatism that concerns itself with statecraft & politics. Read books on niti. That is much more important to survival of Hindu civilization than the moksha mongering & high sounding spiritual fluff popular among modern Hindus & their gurus.
I read about how an entire village had converted to Christianity in Bihar (I think, in any case some N Indian village) because the preachers promised to open an English medium school ! When Bajrang Dal men turned up to confront the villagers they said all this time no one worried about our welfare and our needs, now when we have changed our faith you come and sent them back. Poverty and illiteracy are bigger problems for the Hindu masses than high sounding spirituality. Of course Hindu organisations are doing some work but the scale of the problem is such that unless education and general standards of living are improved Hindus will be poached upon by Abrahaimics.

@asingh10 - like your phrase "secularism serves as a trojan for Abrahamisms" and how Nepal is now marked to be next Korea.

asingh10

This is a bit offtopic, but if you get time do see this presentation by Dr. Shankar Sharan. He explains this "secularism/freedom of religion is the cloak and abrahamism is the dagger" phenomenon very well.

Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Detests Jholawalas
Ambassador
It was sold to them under "freedom of religion". Most of the explosion in Korean Christian population happened post Korean war. McArthur provided considerable assistance to the missionaries in the hope of Christianizing Japan & he did the same in S. Korea.

https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/v...us-policy-in-japan-and-its-inqiuence-in-korea

From the same paper, just another e.g. of how secularism serves as a trojan for Abrahamisms :-

Hear all that noise being made by the same usual suspects around the secular constitution in Nepal ? Nepal has been marked for evangelization. Will become another Korea.
Still does not tell how being organized hurts?? SK were stupid but I cannot see how it correlates with Buddhism being organized.

asingh10

Still does not tell how being organized hurts?? SK were stupid but I cannot see how it correlates with Buddhism being organized.
As in once they lost the state/elite support or the samgha was compromised (i.e. the core center), they started to loose ground very quickly. It's not an isolated case of South Korea either. See the areas in India that were predominantly Buddhist and how quickly it declined once their core centers like Nalanda and Taxila were attacked.

Compare that with decentralized Hinduism and how it has thrived for 1000+ years despite hostile governments in Delhi, our major centers being attacked, elite being compromised etc. Not taking a potshot here, even Hindu sects like Pashupata that had a centralized organizational setup succumbed once their center was lost.

asingh10

RSS Chief Mohan Bhagwat: Reject Hindu Values That Have No Scientific Basis

http://www.huffingtonpost.in/2015/09/14/hindu-values-that-do-not-_n_8131716.html

Do we really want people like this with flawed understanding to dictate to us what Hinduism is ? That's what happens in a centralized setup. It'd be a complete disaster and cause extinction of many Hindu sects. It is precisely because of BJP/RSS desire to replace localized traditions with their own "Hindutva" brand (widely perceived as Hindi + Western Indian + Brahmin/Baniya dominance) that they are failing in many parts of the country. They have a top/down approach.

Compare it with the Congress ecosystem that adjusts & morphs itself according to the local demographic. In Kerala, it supports Beef. In Uttarakhand, they oppose it. In Maharashtra, they are opposing BCCI wanting Ind-Pak cricket. Meanwhile Rajiv Shukla, a BCCI member & a Congressi, is supporting it.

Last edited:

parijataka

Country flag
RSS Chief Mohan Bhagwat: Reject Hindu Values That Have No Scientific Basis

http://www.huffingtonpost.in/2015/09/14/hindu-values-that-do-not-_n_8131716.html

Do we really want people like this with flawed understanding to dictate to us what Hinduism is ? That's what happens in a centralized setup. It'd be a complete disaster and cause extinction of many Hindu sects. It is precisely because of BJP/RSS desire to replace localized traditions with their own "Hindutva" brand (widely perceived as Hindi + Western Indian + Brahmin/Baniya dominance) that they are failing in many parts of the country. They have a top/down approach.

Compare it with the Congress ecosystem that adjusts & morphs itself according to the local demographic. In Kerala, it supports Beef. In Uttarakhand, they oppose it. In Maharashtra, they are opposing BCCI wanting Ind-Pak cricket. Meanwhile Rajiv Shukla, a BCCI member & a Congressi, is supporting it.
Congress party is the ultimate chameleon - if only they had used half their devious brains in serving the nation...o_O

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
Do we really want people like this with flawed understanding to dictate to us what Hinduism is ? That's what happens in a centralized setup. It'd be a complete disaster and cause extinction of many Hindu sects. It is precisely because of BJP/RSS desire to replace localized traditions with their own "Hindutva" brand (widely perceived as Hindi + Western Indian + Brahmin/Baniya dominance) that they are failing in many parts of the country
This is one of the reasons why bjp is having difficulty getting base in TN. Their fixation with Hindi /northern culture ruins any chance they have with common Tamils. The only reason they even have presence here is because people are getting tired of Muslims and xtians. If there was a Hindu RW party, which panders to Hindus like Shiv sena here, BJP and others can forget any chance to grow here and that's just pathetic

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
As in once they lost the state/elite support or the samgha was compromised (i.e. the core center), they started to loose ground very quickly. It's not an isolated case of South Korea either. See the areas in India that were predominantly Buddhist and how quickly it declined once their core centers like Nalanda and Taxila were attacked.

Compare that with decentralized Hinduism and how it has thrived for 1000+ years despite hostile governments in Delhi, our major centers being attacked, elite being compromised etc. Not taking a potshot here, even Hindu sects like Pashupata that had a centralized organizational setup succumbed once their center was lost.
I completely agree. We don't need theological unity and that would make us as bad as the abrahamic bs. What we actually need is political unity.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles