Camouflages and Uniforms of the Indian Armed Forces, The Past, Present and Future

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Must be heck of a camo, looks different in every pic based on the background and camera used. If the idea is to trick the eye into disrupting the pattern, it surely is doing that:daru:

on a serious note, isn’t it the case that camo will have be judged based on background not on its own !!! will take an entire year for us to arrive at a conclusion, we will need to see the camo in combinations of different seasons, different time of day, different camera sensors & lighting conditions.

or simply wait for first hand opinion from active duty personnel or veteran.
i will be waiting for pics in desert background.

not so dravidian

Country flag
Y'all

Digital disruption, designed by NIFT: New combat uniforms for the Army

On

Army Day
(January 15), the

Indian Army
will be unveiling its new combat uniform
, which has been developed in association with the National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT). A team of eight people, including professors and students, worked on the project and the new uniform will have quite a few changes, including a lighter fabric and a digital disruptive pattern. Some changes have been introduced to the uniform to make it more comfortable for women as well.

A professor involved with the project told us, “We were contacted by the Indian

Army about a year-and-a-half ago and they were talking about making modifications to the combat uniform. At that point, it was confined to only a change in design. We gave them a proposal for that, but around May last year, we were contacted by another department (from the Army) and they asked for a proposal with more changes. They wanted to change the camouflage pattern, fabric and the design. We were given certain parameters to work within, related to the colour combination, and the initial feedback, which was brainstormed within the Army, was also given to us. The uniform we have put together is in a lighter fabric, so that it is more comfortable for the soldiers. In terms of the pattern, from the more organic camouflage print that they currently have, it is now a digital disruptive pattern, like a pixelated design. The colour combinations have been kept the same because that was the feedback that we got from the Army.” In terms of design, the major change is that the shirt won’t be tucked in anymore. “There will be a T-shirt inside. There are other elements that we have changed within the design of the garment. Our major emphasis was that whatever design we are putting together has to be multi-terrain friendly, so that it actually acts as a camouflage rather than just being a combination of colours,” the professor said.

Calling the journey of working on the project as “exciting and challenging”, the professor added, “We were also looking at making a uniform that fits in with the global standard. It was also about the comfort of the wearer. Additionally, for women, we have looked at slight modifications in the design, which will make it more comfortable for the female form.”
Designer Manish Tripathi, an alumnus of NIFT, who worked on the project during the sampling stages, said, “I was engaged at the level where the prototype had to be developed. We have all worked very closely on the project and taken care of all the minute details. From buttoning to taping, every little thing has been taken care of. I am glad that I got to work on a project like this

This uniform is suitable for all terrains’
Army officials tell us that the new combat uniform has been designed keeping comfort in mind and will also eliminate the need for different uniforms for different environments. A senior Army officer shared, “It is a new-generation camouflage combat uniform, which has been ergonomically designed and is operationally effective. It has stronger and lighter fabric, contemporary and functional design, and digital camouflage pattern suited for most terrains
. Earlier, combat uniforms used to be different for jungle warfare and desert warfare, but this new combat uniform is suitable for all terrains. It is dull in colour but has a swanky look and has zips in the front. The material is comfortable for all seasons.”

not so dravidian

Country flag
Y'all

Digital disruption, designed by NIFT: New combat uniforms for the Army

On

Army Day
(January 15), the

Indian Army
will be unveiling its new combat uniform
, which has been developed in association with the National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT). A team of eight people, including professors and students, worked on the project and the new uniform will have quite a few changes, including a lighter fabric and a digital disruptive pattern. Some changes have been introduced to the uniform to make it more comfortable for women as well.

A professor involved with the project told us, “We were contacted by the Indian

Army about a year-and-a-half ago and they were talking about making modifications to the combat uniform. At that point, it was confined to only a change in design. We gave them a proposal for that, but around May last year, we were contacted by another department (from the Army) and they asked for a proposal with more changes. They wanted to change the camouflage pattern, fabric and the design. We were given certain parameters to work within, related to the colour combination, and the initial feedback, which was brainstormed within the Army, was also given to us. The uniform we have put together is in a lighter fabric, so that it is more comfortable for the soldiers. In terms of the pattern, from the more organic camouflage print that they currently have, it is now a digital disruptive pattern, like a pixelated design. The colour combinations have been kept the same because that was the feedback that we got from the Army.” In terms of design, the major change is that the shirt won’t be tucked in anymore. “There will be a T-shirt inside. There are other elements that we have changed within the design of the garment. Our major emphasis was that whatever design we are putting together has to be multi-terrain friendly, so that it actually acts as a camouflage rather than just being a combination of colours,” the professor said.

Calling the journey of working on the project as “exciting and challenging”, the professor added, “We were also looking at making a uniform that fits in with the global standard. It was also about the comfort of the wearer. Additionally, for women, we have looked at slight modifications in the design, which will make it more comfortable for the female form.”
Designer Manish Tripathi, an alumnus of NIFT, who worked on the project during the sampling stages, said, “I was engaged at the level where the prototype had to be developed. We have all worked very closely on the project and taken care of all the minute details. From buttoning to taping, every little thing has been taken care of. I am glad that I got to work on a project like this

This uniform is suitable for all terrains’
Army officials tell us that the new combat uniform has been designed keeping comfort in mind and will also eliminate the need for different uniforms for different environments. A senior Army officer shared, “It is a new-generation camouflage combat uniform, which has been ergonomically designed and is operationally effective. It has stronger and lighter fabric, contemporary and functional design, and digital camouflage pattern suited for most terrains
. Earlier, combat uniforms used to be different for jungle warfare and desert warfare, but this new combat uniform is suitable for all terrains. It is dull in colour but has a swanky look and has zips in the front. The material is comfortable for all seasons.”
So seems like no theatre based camo.

Seems like only one camo for all. Can anyone confirm this?? @Spadex

nongaddarliberal

Country flag
What is the speed of induction likely going to be for the new uniform? Last time when it changed around 2004, how long did it take for all troops to start wearing it?

Haldilal

लड़ते लड़ते जीना है, लड़ते लड़ते मरना है
Country flag
I meant in combat someone did post a high lvl office with all medals and rank running and giving thumbs up during an operation no problem wearing usually but during counterinsurgency or war it is not a good to wear as yu will stand out will yur patches and medals hanging
Ya'll Nibbiars post that photograph here.

Haldilal

Country flag
Doing dalali? Am saying that pic was posted on indian spec ops thread some days aggo yu being supermod why not check
Ya'll Nibbiars that was not I combat but I some exercise as far as I remeber and the senior officer was probably a observer not a participant if I am not mistakens.

Haldilal

Country flag
Does the job I’d say. Not convinced about being untucked other than to emulate the pakis who themselves emulate the Americans.

won’t Allow hip holsters and most frontline western units have combat shirts that they tuck in so what’s gained here?

Just hope they don’t continue with all their trinkets (bright ranks, medals, ribbons, badges etc) but I fear that mindset is entirely unchanged
Ya'll Nibbiars when I say this most of the memebers here even Gessler falls debt ears. Typical Amerike Gucci fanboys.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles