C-130J Super Hercules (IAF)

Abhijeet Dey

Country flag
True, Navy should acquire 9 C-130Js as well, they are all weather capable and can fly even in very adverse stormy conditions, the joint experience of operating them would be very useful. Also IN should order 24 more P-8Is
24 more P-8I is wishful thinking. It would be better if we buy smaller maritime patrol aircrafts such as naval version of C-130Js.

cobra commando

Tharki regiment
Country flag

[highlight]India continues to modernize its transport aviation, and will now receive six additional Lockheed C-130J-30 stretched Hercules through the Foreign Military Sales program. (LM photo)[/highlight]

Lockheed Martin Aeronautics, Marietta, Georgia, has been awarded a not to exceed $ 564,700,000 modification (P00273) to FA8625-11-C-6597 to fund six India foreign military sales C-130J-30s, field service representatives and three years of post-delivery support after the first aircraft delivery. The total cumulative face value of the contract is $2,067,370,707. Work will be performed at Marietta, Georgia, and is expected to be completed by April 30, 2020. This contract is 100 percent FMS for India and $50,900,000 will be obligated at time of award. Air Force Life Cycle Management Center/WLNNC, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio, is the contracting activity.
Pentagon Contract Announcement

abingdonboy

Country flag
True, Navy should acquire 9 C-130Js as well, they are all weather capable and can fly even in very adverse stormy conditions, the joint experience of operating them would be very useful. Also IN should order 24 more P-8Is
The IN is looking at the SC-130J not just the AF C-130J version, it needs to meet the IN's requirements.

24 more P-8I is wishful thinking. It would be better if we buy smaller maritime patrol aircrafts such as naval version of C-130Js.
The total number of P-8Is that Boeing has forecast to secure the entire IN are of responsibly is 24 a/c (and I believe the IN agreed with this assessment and made it clear they were working towards this figure )so would require another 16 P-8Is, the original procurement included a clause for an additional 4 and the remaining 12 can be acquired in subsequent batches (of 4 or 6) I guess. There is not a HUGE rush really as, unlike the C-17 production line, the P-8's will be open for at least another decade and the IN is just getting to grips with the P-8I so give them time to bed in and then wait to see the orders come. 24 by 2020-22 is likely.

AVERAGE INDIAN

EXORCIST
Country flag
The IN is looking at the SC-130J not just the AF C-130J version, it needs to meet the IN's requirements.

The total number of P-8Is that Boeing has forecast to secure the entire IN are of responsibly is 24 a/c (and I believe the IN agreed with this assessment and made it clear they were working towards this figure )so would require another 16 P-8Is, the original procurement included a clause for an additional 4 and the remaining 12 can be acquired in subsequent batches (of 4 or 6) I guess. There is not a HUGE rush really as, unlike the C-17 production line, the P-8's will be open for at least another decade and the IN is just getting to grips with the P-8I so give them time to bed in and then wait to see the orders come. 24 by 2020-22 is likely.
Maybe a Mini P-8 can be made out of a Boeing 737. It is possible that a Boeing 737 can be modified to do the work of a SC130J . You do have Pilots who can fly it and no issues for service and spare for compact P-8 made out of a Boeing 737.

The key is smaller airframe with robust capabilities! C-130 does not give you a smaller air-frame, i mean there is negligible length difference size between 2 airframes

cobra commando

Tharki regiment
Country flag
^On 24th March, 2015 - The Indian Airforce conducted a military exercise to test the short landing capabilities of the C130 military aircraft. The test was conducted at 01:45 pm at the Juhu Aerodrome, Mumbai. The aircraft landed for precisely 15 minutes after which it took off to return to base. The exercise was a success. This video shows the unreal landing and take-off of this maiden flight.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Dgx5UFyeNWQ

jackprince

Turning into a frog
Country flag
Turbo-prop ACs can be at station for longer than Turbo-jet too.

Although, C-130J will be overkill. A less expensive platform will be more cost efficient as the AC would hardly need the specialties like hard-landing, short takeoff of C-130J.

blueblood

jackprince

Turning into a frog
Country flag
Well, how did I not see the name of the AC till now? Persuader!!! Damn, some guys has a good sense of humor.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles