Bullpup Assault Rifles

pmaitra

Because bullpups maintains the assault rifles standard barrel length while being shorter in overall length.
First of all, bull-pup is not restricted to assault rifles. That is your wrong information. Secondly, bull-pups serve two purposes, and you are aware of only one purpose. Already explained. Still asking.

Less hinderance in close quarters.

Already explained, and common knowledge.
Read this and you will know bull-pup does not necessarily mean shorter rifle. I have given you an example. I have also given an example of an assault rifle serving as a sniper rifle.

Shaitan

Zandu Balm all day
Country flag
First of all, bull-pup is not restricted to assault rifles. That is your wrong information. Secondly, bull-pup serve two purposes, and you are aware of only one purpose. Already explained. Still asking.
You showed an INSAS assault rifle conversion. What do you want INSAS-sniper rifle??

Like QBU 88?

pmaitra

^^

Why not?

Another good comparison would be the M89SR:

Note, the picture I posted (INSAS Bull-pup) is not a sniper rifle per se, it is still an assault rifle with better accuracy due to a longer barrel and can double up as a sniper rifle like the FN-FAL example I gave you.

Shaitan

Zandu Balm all day
Country flag

^^

Something like the Type 88 or SVU would be new to Indian armed forces.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
I will answer that question, but first read on:
Why do you think people make bull-pups?

For 3 reasons:
  1. To increase the barrel length without increasing the length of the rifle.
  2. To decrease the length of the rifle without decreasing the barrel length.
  3. Trade-off between the two above.

However, that is not the point. Is it necessary to design something that has already been done?
The barrel length remain the same in most cases..

MSBS 5.56mm

Same parts, Almost same barrel lengths..

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Has the long trigger pull in bullpups been addressed in any way? Can you get a crisp trigger pull in any bullpup configuration?

Apollyon

Führer
Country flag
But there's a significant increase in weight in Bullpup configuration (when barrel is lengthened keeping the overall length similar to the original configuration)...and weight do matter .....

pmaitra

But there's a significant increase in weight in Bullpup configuration (when barrel is lengthened keeping the overall length similar to the original configuration)...and weight do matter .....
Of course, longer the barrel, more the weight, better the accuracy; shorter the barrel, lesser the weight, lesser the accuracy. Pick one, can't have both. If accuracy is not required, then the current INSAS is good enough.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011

IA regulars have close experience of Bullpup Rifles..

Last edited by a moderator:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
@pmaitra,

Looking at P90 i wonder, Why not to have a AR of the same deign, Indeed with some modifications..

On positive side it Mag can hold nearly 40rnds..

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
@pmaitra,

Looking at P90 i wonder, Why not to have a AR of the same deign, Indeed with some modifications..

On positive side it Mag can hold nearly 40rnds..
FN 5.7×28mm - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The FN 5.7×28mm is a small-caliber, high-velocity cartridge designed and manufactured by FN Herstal in Belgium.[7] It is a bottlenecked centerfire cartridge that is somewhat similar to the .22 Hornet or .22 K-Hornet.[7] The 5.7×28mm was developed in conjunction with the FN P90 personal defense weapon (PDW) and FN Five-seven pistol, in response to NATO requests for a replacement for the 9×19mm Parabellum cartridge.[10][11]

pmaitra

Fnh ps-90

FNH PS-90

Not terribly bad at 75 feet.

Loved it!

Last edited by a moderator:

Articles