BSF replace gypsy with TATA Xenon

ghost

In order to upgrade and make the border security more effective, BSF has got new vehicles. The old Maruti Gypsy is being replaced by Tata Xenon in a phased manner and the first replacement started from Rajasthan. The new vehicles have already reached in many border areas of the state including various sectors of BSF. Fifty Tata Xenons have been given to the Rajasthan frontier and each battalion is being provided with four vehicles.

According to senior official sources in BSF, petrol vehicles will be replaced with diesel vehicles to cut down expenses and strengthen border security. Although, Gypsy is more robust to ride in desert areas and rough terrains but, it was proving costly as it runs on petrol. Looking to this, BSF was in search of an alternative to Gypsy and Tata Xenon was found to be sturdy and effective in guarding border.

Sources said that two sand scooters were purchased on experimental basis and trial was conducted in Shahgarh Bulj area of Jaisalmer, but experts found some defects which are now being repaired. Also, order of some sand scooters has been placed. Confirming this, BSF Rajasthan frontier DIG Ravi Gandhi said that Maruti Gypsy are being replaced with Tata Xenons. The new vehicles are 4x4 with airbags and can easily roam on sand and remote areas.

Gandhi further said that Tata Xenon is air-conditioned which will give relief to jawans even at 50 degrees Celsius and the best part is that it has trolley at its back, in which a lot of arms and explosives can be carried along with food and water.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...icles-for-patrolling/articleshow/56062695.cms

The twin-cab version of the Xenon has been picked up by the forces. Mahindra's Bolero Camper was also in the race for the order. - See more at: http://www.autocarpro.in/news-natio...ian-defence-forces-23045#sthash.AI6VUA8A.dpuf

aditya g

Country flag
I would really like to see the exact specs of the Tata Xenon ordered by BSF. 4x4 is minimum expectation, but would it have any other off roading capability like snorkels and lockable diffs.

FYI: @Kunal Biswas

indiandefencefan

Country flag
Do the vehicles come equipped with bullet resistant glass and body like the PM's vehicles or is the body composition the same as regular production models?

armyofhind

Country flag
I would really like to see the exact specs of the Tata Xenon ordered by BSF. 4x4 is minimum expectation, but would it have any other off roading capability like snorkels and lockable diffs.

Snorkels are basically meant for water fording.
Not really too pressing a requirement for the Western Frontier for BSF.

Krusty

Country flag

Snorkels are fancy accessories and not used all that much IRL. If required, anyone can make one out of spare tubes and few pieces of tape.

IMG_2957.JPG

It takes about 30 mins to make one and fix it to the exhaust port. Limited slip/locking diffs are a different matter though. @Kunal Biswas will be able to confirm. I am waiting for the specs as well.

armyofhind

Country flag
?
Configuration 4x4
Cab seating up to 1 + 11 men
Dimensions and weight
Weight (combat) 2.95 t
Payload capacity ~ 500 kg
Length ?
Width ?
Height ?
Mobility
Engine 2.2-liter DICOR BS III diesel
Engine power 140 hp
Maximum road speed 120 km/h
Range ~ 1 200 km
Maneuverability
Gradient 60%
Side slope 40%
Vertical step 0.4 m
Trench 0.4 m
Fording 0.2 m

Some Specs on Xenon

http://www.military-today.com/trucks/tata_xenon.htm

Project Dharma

meh
Country flag
Engine 2.2-liter DICOR BS III diesel
I'm sure BSF has tested that it meets their needs but I have a hard time imagining the four cyclinder (albeit turbo) engine making it up a steep hill in J&K loaded with men and equipment. Also turbo will struggle at higher altitudes Would have loved to see a bigger naturally aspirated petrol engine, they can afford the petrol.

Edit: Wow my perspective is skewed from being an American and driving pickups trucks with huge engines. The power output compares pretty favorably with the Toyota Hillux also known as the Taliban pickup lol And the link above says it can operate in -20C weather.

Last edited:

Krusty

Country flag
And the link above says it can operate in -20C weather.
The question is how much power the engine will lose at altitude. That will not be known. All engines will work at high altitudes. I remember a very old autocar issue (15+ years ago) where they took a merc E class and a maruti 800 from kanyakumari to Leh. Up the mountains the heavier Mercedes actually had trouble keeping up with the M800. Hard to believe, but it's true. Both work, but one worked better than the other.

Edit: I should add the merc vs m800 difference is up in the mountains at very high altitudes(over 10000 feet). But this height is nothing for our armed forces.

Last edited:

aditya g

Country flag
Snorkels are fancy accessories and not used all that much IRL. If required, anyone can make one out of spare tubes and few pieces of tape.

View attachment 12738

It takes about 30 mins to make one and fix it to the exhaust port. Limited slip/locking diffs are a different matter though. @Kunal Biswas will be able to confirm. I am waiting for the specs as well.
While Jugaad may be done, one would expect any product delivered to the forces to be of certain standard. Now none of the Army's (or BSFs) current jeeps comes with a snorkel - but my point being to highlight it as a potential requirement of a military jeep.

Snorkels are basically meant for water fording.
Not really too pressing a requirement for the Western Frontier for BSF.
The western frontier of BSF also includes Rann of Kutch:

In any case, you want your hardware to have a broad capability so that it is not confined too much a single theatre.

aditya g

Country flag
More Tata Xenon pics from the internet.

Interior:

Tata Xenon 150 N-Xplore Accessorized Concept : For Thailand market

This one has a snorkel :) as well:

Picture says "Differential Lock" - so second tick box as well!

Krusty

Country flag
More Tata Xenon pics from the internet.

Interior:

Tata Xenon 150 N-Xplore Accessorized Concept : For Thailand market

This one has a snorkel :) as well:

Picture says "Differential Lock" - so second tick box as well!

I am loving this

IMG_2958.JPG

I think both Mahindra and Tata have enormous potential when it comes to catering for the army. For that matter force motors too. I don't know why they are not showing interest. I understand there are some products that are offered to the army, but there is potential for so much more.

aditya g

Country flag
Competing products to the Xenon:

Isuzu
D-Max and V-Max

Global Defence

New threads

Articles