British Left hates Modi (and Indians)

LalTopi

I wept watching Prime Minister Narendra Modi's address to the British parliament. I found his desi accent difficult to follow, but cried nonetheless. In fact, I wept because of it, raising as it did so many personal issues for me. Watching him, I remembered how my mother - a village girl who left Punjab to wash dishes in London - was treated with disdain and condescension for her poorly spoken English, both by the British and bourgeois Indians who are, to this day, quick to assert social superiority at any instance.

Hearing Modi address parliament, Cameron et al paying painstaking attention to his every mispronounced word, spoken in an accent thick enough to cut with a chainsaw, was to sense a personal journey come full circle.

Equally interesting was to see how Britain's media responded to him, to witness how this low-born Leviathan, who speaks English in the manner of curry-house waiter, dredged up various British neuroses - of race, class and nostalgia. Modi proved to be a litmus test of many British anxieties.

The left-wing press predictably abhorred his visit. The Guardian had a nervous breakdown, publishing a series of scathing articles attacking India for its religious intolerance, caste discrimination and oppression of women. Fair enough: all of these problems are unresolved in Indian society and demand reporting. What was telling, however, was that the visit of China's unelected one-party tyrant - sorry, I mean 'president' - two weeks earlier hadn't triggered a similar slew of criticism about that country's myriad human-rights abuses.

That welcome was reserved for Narendra Modi, who received a bigger democratically decided mandate than any other politician in human history. Indeed, why is it that now, when Indians are more prosperous, open, longer-lived and democratically engaged than ever, the British Left has taken to heaping criticism on India as never before - a contempt pointedly expressed by Jeremy Corbyn, the Labour Party leader, who couldn't stand to be in parliament when Modi gave his historic speech?

It is, of course, not out of any solidarity with India's poor and suffering millions on whose destinies the British Left has zero influence, people who've never heard of The Guardian or Jeremy Corbyn, and for whomThe Guardian could easily have provided a Hindi-language edition long ago if it were genuinely concerned with empowering them. The neurotic hysteria of Britain's leading left-wing newspaper this past week has a more local and nastier motive.

The sad truth is that Indians came to Britain and, through much struggle and sacrifice, made a great success of themselves: the British Left - and its trust-funded propagandists at The Guardian - will never forgive them for that. Indian success in Britain, undermining as it does the Left's demented ideologies of race and class, is simply unbearable. Those labels were never going to fit Indians, who don't define themselves within such simplistic limiting boundaries, but for the British Left, to succeed in the face of racism and poverty as most Indians here did, is to commit a crime that cannot be punished enough.

If Indians in Britain were to riot, lower their academic performance or blow themselves up more, The Guardian's coverage of India would surely be more positive. Of course, they can't focus their ire on British-Indians themselves - the racism would be too obvious - so the motherland is scorned instead. The British Left has a similar relationship with British Jews, another self-made and conspicuously successful minority. The Left's hatred for them reveals itself as an obsessive contempt for Israel - or 'Zionism' as the lefties term it.

Neither the travails of the Indian masses, nor the politics of Israel and its neighbours, are of the slightest interest to the British working-class - the constituency Britain's Left supposedly exists to serve - but they occupy an inordinate amount of space in this country's left-wing psyche. This deeply prejudiced viewpoint is rooted in its neurotic fixation with class and the toxic resentment that stems from that.

A class-based perspective can only see life through the prism of a zero-sum game, an oppressor-victim dynamic. When anyone, particularly those of humble origins - like immigrants from India, for example - achieves success in Britain, the Left can only suspect it took place at someone else's expense. And hence the stewing resentment that finds expression by shovelling scorn on India.

Britain's India-loathing Left has its Indian soulmates, to be sure. Pankaj Mishra and Arundhati Roy have their specially reserved seats in London's liberal salons, where they are regarded as champions of the teeming downtrodden. Of course, neither Mishra or Roy gives a shit about India's masses: if they did, they would write in Hindi or Malayalam, or any of the other vernaculars in which ordinary Indians could actually read and be possibly inspired by them. But they deliberately don't, knowing that the aam admi wouldn't wipe his backside with the shrill whining rubbish they produce.

India's poor are merely props for Roy and Mishra's self-styled sainthood among western lefties. And they truly are saints of a twisted sort. Their incessant railings against the liberalising of India's economy - which has lifted millions of Indians out of poverty - is simply the legacy of their uptight Brahmin backgrounds, an inherited revulsion of the material world and the spiritual pollution that comes with trade and manual work. Capitalism, and the physical toil and pleasures that come with it, offends their repressed and febrile high-caste sensibilities, and so they take to the pages of Britain's press to inveigh against it.

Besides these two, The Guardian this week also commissioned a ridiculous piece by abstract artist, Anish Kapoor, declaring that India is ruled by a 'Hindu Taliban'. No doubt the editor, Katharine Viner, regards Kapoor as a perfect representative of India's diverse impoverished multitude given that he is a Doon-schooled, London domiciled multimillionaire.

Such is the warped idiocy behind the British Left and its attitude to India. Even more absurdly, when Modi was elected Prime Minister, the BBC's Newsnight programme brought Kapoor on the show to discuss with William Dalrymple - another elite-schooled millionaire, and one who isn't even Indian - what the election would mean for India's barefooted rural masses. The editor of Newsnight, Ian Katz, previously worked, of course, for The Guardian.

The West's viewpoint of India is profoundly skewed by the fact that English-speaking Indians have historically come from highly privileged and secure backgrounds - people whose views are to be the most distrusted because they are precisely the people most unsettled by India's increasingly upwardly mobile population. I have learned to pay careful attention to the accent with which Indians speak English. When I hear dulcet Rugby-educated tones such as Salman Rushdie's, I know the opinions on offer will resonate within a salubrious south-Delhi enclave and pretty much nowhere else on the subcontinent. When I hear the masala twang of Chetan Bhagat's or Swapan Dasgupta's English, I know I ought to pay attention - just as I did to Modi's tar-thick Hindi-medium accent. These voices, rooted in a broader and more representative India, are deliberately ignored by Britain's left-wing media because they challenge its nonsensical ideologies.

I've focused on The Guardian, because it pays more attention to India than the other British papers. The right-wing British press just collectively shrugged and tried to look the other way this week, resigned to Britain's decreasing significance in the world, exemplified by a parliamentary address by a man whose English they couldn't understand.

But just because someone's paying you a lot of attention, it doesn't mean they like you or have your well-being at heart. And when it comes to India, The Guardian most certainly doesn't. I've written for the paper a fair bit myself - though I suspect I won't be again after this article - but I found its coverage this week simply disgraceful. Indians should not mistake the sanctimonious pronouncements by the British Left towards India's many problems - problems that Indians alone can resolve - for a genuine concern for India.

The British Left is locked in its own parochial neuroses of class and resentment, and its attitude towards India will only ever be a projection of that. Indians are largely an aspirational and enterprising people, and as such will always trigger the disgust of British lefties who are not, and never will be, India's friends.

http://www.dailyo.in/politics/wembl...i-not-welcome-david-cameron/story/1/7359.html

Vishwarupa

Country flag
Left Fascist are every where in the world.

Largest filth is currently in India so need not bother about Britishers.

Left Fascist in India is in the form of Congress, AAP, Communist, Liberals. Pseudo seculars, award returning Writers & film actors, Anti National NGOs etc.

Hari Sud

Country flag
Britain & India - 2019

The British intellectuals, media and politicians still live in nineteenth century/early twentieth century policy of divide and rule. It is 72 years back that they were kicked out after two centuries of monopolistic rule, open exploitation of resources, and open stealing of its treasury. India (excluding their lackey Pakistan) took a sharp turn to stop exploitation and began its path of progress. By published estimates, the British stole about $45 trillion in 200 years and built itself into a super power.

Alas! with no money and hardly any skill, India began its quest for industrial development and food self sufficiency. The latter, it achieved 35 years later and building of industrial base and infrastructure is a continuous process. Anytime a machine is built in India or infrastructure is enhanced, it pains the British. For them, if india manufactures anything then it is a loss for their industry. But india continues undaunted. It has today jumped from $50 Billion economy in 1947 to $2,000 billion economy in 2018. (On a PPP basis India is $10,000 billion economy).

The forgoing does not sit well with British politicians, media barons and intellectual. The British media from day one are pro Pakistani. They do not miss a day without finding faults with any Indian development. If you do not believe me, try reading India related reports in twenty five years of the Economist or Guardian etc. In spite of all this, india has progressed.

The politicians who run the British government from the days of Winston Churchill are anti Indians. They pay a lip service to india but behind the scene are working against Indian interests. Their publicly stated stand is definitely sweet but in fact are working to sabotage any good work in progress in india. Only recently they have claimed that a few of their anti Indian policies are as a result of very large Pakistani population base. But it is not larger than Indian origin people in Briton, still they ignore their presence and try to pretend to be pro Pakistani. Remember Britain secretly sent a huge naval armada against India in 1971 to Bay of Bengal during Bangladesh war.

For European Common Market in 1972, they preferred to dump India and other former colonies. Now that fun is over. They want a divorce from Europe hence need the former colonies for exports. There is a distinct possibility that India and others may not support Briton in anyway to make their re-entry in their market place easy. Hence, loss is theirs not India’s. Indian exports are not British dependent.

Unless the Brits are prepared to modify their stand to pro India, any future policy adjustment are going to be worthless. India has a much enhanced economy, its power in Indian Ocean is unlimited and its software power cannot be matched by Briton. Internally it grows enough food to feed itself and export some. Also 95% of Indian homes have electricity. Indians drive their locally made cars, trucks and buses. It’s road infrastructure and rail network and associated facilities are greatly enhanced.

Briton, you have nothing to offer except criticisms.

S.A.T.A

British elites always had a disdain for india and this probably has its roots in the empire. We often mistake British fascination for India for its own merit, it's wrong. British obsession is with the raj and what meant for Britain. A cursory look at the plethora of British literature on South Asia will betray this raj nostalgia and the raj apologists peddling them(from William Dalrymple to Charles Allen)

Aaj ka hero

Has left
Banned
Country flag
Their incessant railings against the liberalising of India's economy - which has lifted millions of Indians out of poverty - is simply the legacy of their uptight Brahmin backgrounds, an inherited revulsion of the material world and the spiritual pollution that comes with trade and manual work
I am brahmin what does writer mean here by brahmin background.
Being brahmin I do hate British as well as arundhati Roy.
Dailyo must not bring here caste.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Britain & India - 2019

The British intellectuals, media and politicians still live in nineteenth century/early twentieth century policy of divide and rule. It is 72 years back that they were kicked out after two centuries of monopolistic rule, open exploitation of resources, and open stealing of its treasury. India (excluding their lackey Pakistan) took a sharp turn to stop exploitation and began its path of progress. By published estimates, the British stole about $45 trillion in 200 years and built itself into a super power.

Alas! with no money and hardly any skill, India began its quest for industrial development and food self sufficiency. The latter, it achieved 35 years later and building of industrial base and infrastructure is a continuous process. Anytime a machine is built in India or infrastructure is enhanced, it pains the British. For them, if india manufactures anything then it is a loss for their industry. But india continues undaunted. It has today jumped from $50 Billion economy in 1947 to $2,000 billion economy in 2018. (On a PPP basis India is $10,000 billion economy).

The forgoing does not sit well with British politicians, media barons and intellectual. The British media from day one are pro Pakistani. They do not miss a day without finding faults with any Indian development. If you do not believe me, try reading India related reports in twenty five years of the Economist or Guardian etc. In spite of all this, india has progressed.

The politicians who run the British government from the days of Winston Churchill are anti Indians. They pay a lip service to india but behind the scene are working against Indian interests. Their publicly stated stand is definitely sweet but in fact are working to sabotage any good work in progress in india. Only recently they have claimed that a few of their anti Indian policies are as a result of very large Pakistani population base. But it is not larger than Indian origin people in Briton, still they ignore their presence and try to pretend to be pro Pakistani. Remember Britain secretly sent a huge naval armada against India in 1971 to Bay of Bengal during Bangladesh war.

For European Common Market in 1972, they preferred to dump India and other former colonies. Now that fun is over. They want a divorce from Europe hence need the former colonies for exports. There is a distinct possibility that India and others may not support Briton in anyway to make their re-entry in their market place easy. Hence, loss is theirs not India’s. Indian exports are not British dependent.

Unless the Brits are prepared to modify their stand to pro India, any future policy adjustment are going to be worthless. India has a much enhanced economy, its power in Indian Ocean is unlimited and its software power cannot be matched by Briton. Internally it grows enough food to feed itself and export some. Also 95% of Indian homes have electricity. Indians drive their locally made cars, trucks and buses. It’s road infrastructure and rail network and associated facilities are greatly enhanced.

Briton, you have nothing to offer except criticisms.
Flip side of your argument is that there has never been a clear articulation from indian side indicating that it’s time brits change their attitude towards India. Everybody is thinking about it, and sometimes writing about it but never created a campaign articulating these points in a rational manner.

There has to be a series of opeds in British news papers, a bunch of YouTube videos, debates etc etc...

And the argument should be framed in such a way that it indicates that it is in Britain’s benefit to review their attitudes towards India. Also have to ensure the argument doesn’t look we are begging them to change.

S.A.T.A

Flip side of your argument is that there has never been a clear articulation from indian side indicating that it’s time brits change their attitude towards India. Everybody is thinking about it, and sometimes writing about it but never created a campaign articulating these points in a rational manner.

There has to be a series of opeds in British news papers, a bunch of YouTube videos, debates etc etc...

And the argument should be framed in such a way that it indicates that it is in Britain’s benefit to review their attitudes towards India. Also have to ensure the argument doesn’t look we are begging them to change.
The point is why should we be bothered about it. For the educated British, India of the raj was the lost Camelot, the high point of their civilization and the Indian, the proverbial fly in ointment, the one who ruined the melancholy reverie. I would rather spend our intellectual capital on building an image elsewhere, like China, where the baggage of history is not a burden. Whilst I throughly enjoy the Oxford union debate, involving India, I don't see the point of it all.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
The point is why should we be bothered about it. For the educated British, India of the raj was the lost Camelot, the high point of their civilization and the Indian, the proverbial fly in ointment, the one who ruined the melancholy reverie. I would rather spend our intellectual capital on building an image elsewhere, like China, where the baggage of history is not a burden. Whilst I throughly enjoy the Oxford union debate, involving India, I don't see the point of it all.
Ideally yes, but during these days of globalisation every negative sentiment matters.

For example: Theresa may when she was Home Secretary was actively responsible for scuttling our free trade agreement with EU.

Going ahead when India reaches 500-600 lakh crore economy status, these negative sentiments promoted by a few countries will have an impact at a growth percentage level.

Moreover we Indians should learn to impose our views beyond our borders. Propagating our point of view becomes essential. In this context use these small issues as a trial run to establish our ecosystem in various countries.

Not just Britain, this negative opinion about India exists in many other countries.

Mikesingh

Professional
Country flag
The left-wing press predictably abhorred his visit. The Guardian had a nervous breakdown, publishing a series of scathing articles attacking India for its religious intolerance, caste discrimination and oppression of women. Fair enough: all of these problems are unresolved in Indian society and demand reporting.

What was telling, however, was that the visit of China's unelected one-party tyrant - sorry, I mean 'president' - two weeks earlier hadn't triggered a similar slew of criticism about that country's myriad human-rights abuses.

http://www.dailyo.in/politics/wembl...i-not-welcome-david-cameron/story/1/7359.html
The Left media which includes trash like the Guardian and BBC hate Indian guts because a bespectacled man with a loin cloth and a danda along with the poor Indians fuked the shit out of the Brits and sent them packing. The snobs are still pretty much pissed off at the walloping they received here. That they'll never ever forget and thus the anti India bias which probably will remain till the cows come home.

Here's more.....

S.A.T.A

Ideally yes, but during these days of globalisation every negative sentiment matters.

For example: Theresa may when she was Home Secretary was actively responsible for scuttling our free trade agreement with EU.

Going ahead when India reaches 500-600 lakh crore economy status, these negative sentiments promoted by a few countries will have an impact at a growth percentage level.

Moreover we Indians should learn to impose our views beyond our borders. Propagating our point of view becomes essential. In this context use these small issues as a trial run to establish our ecosystem in various countries.

Not just Britain, this negative opinion about India exists in many other countries.
Negative sentiment informed by unfamiliarity or lack of first hand information, can be dispelled through informed intellectual discourse. Britain is neither unfamiliar about India or lack first hand knowledge about her ex colony. Britain's loathing for india stems from 300 years of historical bias... This is incurable.

Chimpoo

Country flag
Eh. Britain's present function is as a US colony or proxy. Their leaders and opinion-makers just following orders from their American handlers..

Also,it seems, expert on all things India in the west, Pankaj Mishra, has moved from The Guardian and contributes to The NY Times and The Guardian.. I had to check.

Makes some in my opinion, far-fetched, comparisons with Trump and Modi and says that in the elections Modi seduced India with envy and hated

"Once barred from the U.S. for his suspected complicity in anti-Muslim violence, and politically ostracized at home as well, this Hindu nationalist used Twitter to bypass traditional media and speak directly to masses feeling left or pushed behind by globalization, and he promised to make India great again by rooting out self-serving elites.
…………….
Yet Modi's aura remains undimmed. He is a maestro of the art of political seduction, playing on the existential fears and cultural insecurities of people facing downward or blocked mobility. In March, he won elections in Uttar Pradesh, India's most politically significant state, by a landslide—confirmation that elected strongmen are the chief beneficiaries of a global revolt against elites."

https://time.com/collection/2017-time-100/4736335/narendra-modi/

"There were thick clouds that morning over the border. But Mr. Modi claimed earlier this month, during his successful campaign for re-election, that he had overruled advisers who worried about them. He is ignorant of science, he admitted, but nevertheless trusted his “raw wisdom,” which told him that the cloud cover would prevent Pakistani radar from detecting Indian fighter jets.
ontrary to what many neoliberal commentators in India and the West hoped for, Mr. Modi is far from alchemizing the passions of left-behind Indians into spectacular economic growth. Rather, he has opened up what Friedrich Nietzsche, speaking of the “men of ressentiment,” called “a whole tremulous realm of subterranean revenge, inexhaustible and insatiable in outbursts.”

Mr. Modi’s appointed task in India is the same as that of many far-right demagogues: to titillate a fearful and angry population with the scapegoating of minorities, refugees, leftists, liberals and others while accelerating predatory forms of capitalism. He may have failed to create job opportunities for disadvantaged Indians. But he has sanctioned them, with his own vengeful contempt for English-speaking elites, to raucously talk back to, and shout down, the already privileged. In lieu of any liberation from injustice, he has emancipated the darkest of emotions; he has licensed his supporters to explicitly hate a range of people from perfidious Pakistanis and Indian Muslims to their “anti-national” Indian appeasers.

As Mr. Modi allowed long-simmering ressentiment to erupt volcanically, India witnessed a savage assault on not just democratic institutions and rational discourse but also ordinary human decency."

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/23/opinion/modi-india-election.html

Last edited:

Suryavanshi

Cheeni KLPDhokebaaz
The Left media which includes trash like the Guardian and BBC hate Indian guts because a bespectacled man with a loin cloth and a danda along with the poor Indians fuked the shit out of the Brits and sent them packing. The snobs are still pretty much pissed off at the walloping they received here. That they'll never ever forget and thus the anti India bias which probably will remain till the cows come home.

Here's more.....

Can u give a few names of these elites u are talking about?
Like any politician, businessman, filmstar, social worker, writer?

IndianHawk

Country flag
Can u give a few names of these elites u are talking about?
Like any politician, businessman, filmstar, social worker, writer?
Read the guardian new on India . The entire rag is devoted to hating India.
But be warned for it might cause you diaria.lol

Sent from my C103 using Tapatalk

south block

up your a**
Country flag
lol than stop reading white man newspaper simple... stop crying like a little bitch & notice me senpai syndrome, stop boot licking their ass or looking for citizenship in their country & start doing something for your own country as for NYT article most of the things they said about this election is true, the vote is for hindutva & rightly so...a historical wrong has been done against us & we are not taking s**t again from anybody come what may....India need to have strong relations with east as it there where are economic future lies not west in long run.

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
The bad time of this Idiots has started now. Muzzies have started screwing them like anything. They are envy of so many things of India including space program cricket and chess. Their looted wealth will be looted by Muzzies. If they want to survive they should humbly ask India for the help to fight Muzzies. However their fake ego stops them to do that. If they want to survive, they should promote Hinduism in UK because Christianity cannot cannot survive against Islam. If Hinduism doesn't come, Islam will come and UK will be come another Pakistan. It is the the time for this idiot people to make a right choice let us see what they do

Chimpoo

Country flag
lol than stop reading white man newspaper simple... stop crying like a little bitch & notice me senpai syndrome, stop boot licking their ass or looking for citizenship in their country & start doing something for your own country as for NYT article most of the things they said about this election is true, the vote is for hindutva & rightly so...a historical wrong has been done against us & we are not taking s**t again from anybody come what may....India need to have strong relations with east as it there where are economic future lies not west in long run.
Eh, it's kind of interesting.

I suspected these recent Modi hit pieces in the western press might have something to do with the dispute over the tariffs that Modi has slapped on American goods. But then again Modi has never had a great press in the west.

Still, we might be seeing American "centre-left", lobbying more for Kashmir or the crackdown on foreign-funded NGOs, to be put on the table in any trade dispute.. Just the increasing of pressure on the Indian government.

12arya

Country flag
we r stilll seeking british approval?
then we can't blame them for blaming us!

i have stopped appreciating foreign approval or disapproval some 4 yrs back...stopped watching bbc and cnn and indian lefty media.
now there is peace of mind.

Berkut

Country flag
I am brahmin what does writer mean here by brahmin background.
Being brahmin I do hate British as well as arundhati Roy.
Dailyo must not bring here caste.
With due respect sir, I am a Bengali brahmin too, I felt the author is generalising but there is a kernel of truth in the author's words. I have been witness to the most vicious form of self loathing and self hatred , self as in Dharma, Culture, rituals, from none other than the Bhadralok , which usually belong to the Bengali Bramhin varnas. I do not know where this comes from, perhaps a mis placed sense of superiority?
I have seen so many of these people, Doctors and Phds having vicious hatred for Modi and considering all his supporters(including me) as somewhat inferior.
This I have also seen among a certain spectrum in Delhi, the ones who flaunt their dad's BMWs and hang out at the Imperial.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles