Breaking News: POLITICAL TURMOIL IN PAKISTAN

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Section 144 imposed in Lahore, other Punjab cities

LAHORE: Effective from Wednesday, Section 144 was imposed in Lahore and several other cities in the Punjab province on Tuesday for three days, news reports said.

‘This decision was taken because the government does not want large gatherings in Lahore in connection with the long march. As authority, I have approved the 144 section in Lahore.’ Nazim Lahore, Mian Amir Mehmood told Dawn reporters

‘Our main concern is public safety. That is why this step was taken, we are ensuring to keep the law and order situation under control. The Lahore police has sufficient manpower for implementing this and are very capable of handling such a situation,’ he said.

‘There is the apprehension that there may be possible threats to the people of Lahore, especially after the Sri Lankan incident, the people responsible for it are still at large. We are just ensuring that the incident doesn’t happen again.’ Mehmood told our reporter.

Under the section, no protest march or gathering of people at one place would be allowed, DCO police said.

People arrested during this period could be kept under arrest for three months, reports quotes sources as saying.

http://www.dawn.com/wps/wcm/connect...144-imposed-in-lahore-other-punjab-cities--zj

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
PML-N govt to be set up soon, says Sharif

JHELUM: PML-N leader and former Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif said on Monday that deposed chief justice of Pakistan Iftikhar Muhammad Chaudhry was bound to be restored and a PML-N government will be established in the near future.

Mian Nawaz Sharif reiterated that his party is likely to establish its own government in the near future. And then, pointing towards the large public gathering, the PML-N leader said that the passion of the people was harbinger of a revolution.

He alleged that President Zaradri was busy in breaking assemblies and regretted that PPP loyalists were being appointed as judges.

‘Mr Zardari, we cannot leave the Pakistani nation at your mercy, we must defend Pakistan and we know how to defend it,’ remarked Nawaz in a highly emotional tone.

While referring to the press conference by Raja Pervez Ashraf on Sunday, Sharif said that on the one hand we were being engaged in reconciliation efforts and on the other hand a minister was announcing and end to the same.

Mian said that Iftikhar Muhammad Chaudhry is destined to be restored and independent judiciary is destined to be established in this country. He further said that many people in the PPP have expressed their unhappiness over the disqualification of the Sharif brothers and they have also opposed imposition of governor rule in Punjab. He added that Jiala judges were being appointed in the courts and that the people of Pakistan will throw these Jiala judges out of the courts.

He also urged upon the masses to join the long march for the restoration of independent judiciary and for strengthening Pakistan. Sharif also enumerated the achievements of his rule, when he was the premier of Pakistan.

http://www.dawn.com/wps/wcm/connect...stan/judiciary-bound-to-be-restored-nawaz--za

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Govt warns Sharif of treason charges

ISLAMABAD – Pakistan’s shaky government threatened ex-premier and main opposition leadear Nawaz Sharif with sedition charges on Monday after he called for protests against the president.
Lawyers and supporters of Sharif are vowing to blockade the parliament on March 16 over the refusal of President Asif Ali Zardari’s government to reinstate fired judges.
Interior Ministry chief Rehman Malik warned Sharif’s speeches in recent days came close to breaking the law. “Inciting people for disobedience is sedition,” Malik told a televised media conference. “It could get life imprisonment.”
He read out phrases from speeches he said Nawaz Sharif has made since the Supreme Court disqualified him and his brother from contesting elections and holding public office.
Sharif has made speeches calling on the police not to obey government orders and attacked judges who disqualified him saying he does not recognize the rulings of the Supreme Court – the highest in the country.
Malik said the government had “no intention” of arresting Sharif, but hinted it had grounds to do so, especially if violence broke out during the march.
Hours earlier, Sharif told a large crowd of supporters “we cannot leave Pakistan at the mercy of Zardari,” “People should rise and join the long march to Islamabad to save Pakistan,” he said. “The emotion I am seeing here is a prelude to a revolution.”
Malik said the government would not ban the march, but said the protesters would not be allowed to rally in front of the parliament building or other downtown areas.
There are reports that army chief general Ashfaq Pervez Kiyani has told Zardari to set things right before the March 16 protest.
On Sunday, former president Pervez Musharraf said in an interview on a television channel that he was open to the idea of leading the country again provided he becomes a “useful” president. “If someone offers, I will see whether I can play a role and then I will take the offer. I won’t like to be an useless President,” Musharraf said.
Analysts and commentators fear months of political chaos. Many are predicting the military will issue the country’s squabbling civilian leaders with an ultimatum or simply step in and seize power as they have done so often in the past. Others say the crisis could lead to midterm elections or a limping, wounded government scraping by until polls in 2013. – Agencies

http://www.saudigazette.com.sa/index.cfm?method=home.regcon&contentID=2009031031685

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Pakistani military warns of Zardari to clean up mess

Pakistan's Army Chief General Ashfaq Kayani, , has begun flexing his muscles and warned President Asif Ali Zardari to set the house in order. He told Zardari to 'clean up the mess' soon, according to a Times Now report.

Times of India newspaper claimed that, well-placed military sources in Islamabad said Kiyani has been asked by the United States to bring some order in the region. After his recent visit to Washington, Kiyani held a meeting with top Pakistani army commanders on March 6 to share the concern of the US over the state of affairs in the country, especially after the dissolution of the Punjab government and the subsequent anti-government agitation that has plunged the country into another political crisis.

General Kayani, former head of ISI, is learnt to have told president Zardari to set things right before the March 16 protest called by lawyers and supporters of Sharif to demand reinstatement of Supreme Court judges sacked by former president Pervez Musharraf.

Reports in Pakistani media also claimed that deadline by Kayani aimed at the North West Frontier Province where the government recently signed a peace dea' with the Taliban imposing Sharia in large parts of the area, including the picturesque Swat Valley.

Zardari's bid to settle scores with the opposition led by Sharif has now gone down well with Washington.

Analysts fear a return of the politics of confrontation between the country's two biggest parties.

Pakistani Sopreme Court nullified two Sharif brothers in elections, ruling on a challenge to an electoral ban on Punjab chief minister Shahbaz Sharif's brother, former prime minister Nawaz Sharif, effectively maintaining a bar on him standing for election.

Both Sharif brothers were barred for legal reasons from standing in an election last year in which their party came second.

Musharraf's successor as army chief, General Ashfaq Kayani, has vowed to keep the army out of politics. But the danger is that if the crisis becomes acute the military, which has ruled for more than half Pakistan's 61 years of history, will feel forced to act.

Sharif had bad relations with at least three army chiefs during the 1990s. Morever, the West is wary of Sharif, believing he panders to the religious/nationalist constituency that opposes the war on 'terrorism'.

http://www.worldbulletin.net/news_detail.php?id=37965

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Shahbaz asks police, admin to defy unconstitutional orders
Updated at: 2055 PST, Tuesday, March 10, 2009

LAHORE: Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) president Mian Shahbaz Sharif on Tuesday urged police and administration to defy unconstitutional orders. Speaking to newsmen at Raiwand here, he said that people would fully take part in long march as per schedule.Sharif said that the government could not stop the people from joining the long march. The people shall reach Islamabad at all costs, he added.

Rage

DFI TEAM
Bury the hatchet or bite the bullet: Get ready for revolution

* Nawaz Sharif says Pakistan cannot be left at Zardari’s mercy
* Asks policemen to refuse ‘illegal’ orders
* Says PML-N government to return within days

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

JHELUM: Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz chief Nawaz Sharif asked people during a rally in Jhelum on Monday to “get ready to make sacrifices for a revolution”, urging them to “come out on the streets to change your destiny”.

“This state of affairs in the country will change only through a revolution,” he told a charged crowd, claiming his party would come into power “in a matter of a few days”. “We cannot leave Pakistan at the mercy of Zardari,” he said. “We know how to safeguard Pakistan.”

Nawaz urged police personnel not to comply with government orders that they deemed against the law.

“The constitution, the law, the judiciary and Pakistan are not the fiefdom of [President Asif Ali] Zardari,” he said. “If anyone tries to subject people to injustices, he should be ready to face the consequences,” Nawaz warned.

“Fake courts have given a verdict against us,” he said referring to his and his brother Shahbaz Sharif’s disqualification. “If Zardari does not dislodge the courts, the people will dislodge them on their own,” the opposition leader said in a fiery speech.

He said Pakistan was facing threats and “the responsibility to save it lies on our shoulders”.

Nawaz asked the people to “sacrifice a few days” for his cause. “We will have to go to Islamabad. Together we will change the destiny of the country. We will restore the institutions of the country and bury its enemies. I will go to Islamabad for the sake of national integrity,” he said. agencies

http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default.asp?page=2009\03\10\story_10-3-2009_pg1_1

screwterrorists

Founding Member
What the hell is going on in India's neighbor?

Kayani's statements seem like a warning for a coup...?

EnlightenedMonk

Member of The Month JULY 2009
New developments in Pakistan

Hey guys,

Have been watching the news for this today. NDTV is reporting that Pakistani channels have begun telecasting that Zardari has been adviced to stay back in Dubai and not return to Pakistan.

This may just be a precautionary measure, but let's wait and watch...

EnlightenedMonk

Also in the news that there is an urgent meeting on between Kayani and Gilani... no further news about the agenda for the meeting... seems to be something brewing...

EnlightenedMonk

Pak unrest peaks, clampdown on Sharif

After reports emerged on orders being passed to put the Sharif brothers under house arrest, sources in the PML-N denied that Nawaz Sharif's movements have been restricted. Nawaz on Wednesday (March 11) held a rally in Abbottabad, even as his spokersperson denied all reports of orders being issued for their house arrest.

Sharif's PML-N party held a massive rally against the Zardari government, and the Sharif brothers have managed to evade arrest so far. But, several leaders from Sharif's party have been detained in the Punjab province.

Earlier, reports said that the Pakistani authorities decided to put Nawaz Sharif and his borther Shahbaz Sharif under house arrest to prevent a planned long march by the opposition party workers and lawyers to Islamabad.

According to reports, the police have been ordered for home confinement of not only Nawaz and Shahbaz Sharif, but also Jamat-e-Islami leader Qazi Hussain Ahmed and Tehreek-e-Insaf chief Imran Khan.

Lawyers and political activists are organising a protest from March 12-16 to demand President Asif Ali Zardari make good on a promise to reinstate judges sacked by former military ruler Pervez Musharraf.
http://www.timesnow.tv/Newsdtls.aspx?NewsID=31734

EnlightenedMonk

Kurd put under house arrest as Punjab Crackdown Continues

ISLAMABAD: President of Supreme Court Bar Association Ali Ahmad Kurd said lawyers are determined for sit-in and long march despite raids and arrests. He condemned the crackdown and appealed to the masses to stay clam and peaceful.

Kurd said arrests will not effect the determination of lawyers. Lawyers will stage sit-in and organized rallies.

The convoys in Quetta and Karachi will leave as per schedule to participate in long march. He asked government to restore deposed chief justice Iftikhar Chaudhry and other judges.

Meanwhile, the crackdown against political workers continued in Punjab and several political workers were arrested during overnight raids.

According to sources, PML-N leader Raja Zafarul Haq was put under house arrest whereas more than 50 activists of PML-N were also arrested.

Sources said lists of workers names have been provided to police stations after which police carrying out raids to arrest theses workers. Banners placed by PML-N for long march have been also removed.

PML-N leader Mian Shahbaz Sharif had summoned a meeting that was postponed due to arrest of PML-N workers.
http://www.paktribune.com/news/index.shtml?212402

EnlightenedMonk

Pakistan going through its worst crisis ever: Nawaz

ABBOTTABAD: Pakistan Muslim League-N Quaid Mian Nawaz Sharif has asked the nation to get ready for offering sacrifices for a revolution in the country.

Addressing a charged rally here on Wednesday, Nawaz said time had come that the people should come on streets to change their destiny. He asked the people to take part in the long march of lawyers, if they wanted to change their fate.

Nawaz said President Asif Ali Zardari has again introduced the politics of horse-trading in the country. He lauded the efforts of Iqbal Zafar Jhagra, Sardar Mehtab Khan and Pir Sabir Shah for the restoration of deposed judges and supremacy of constitution.

The PML-N Quaid said the people were facing a grim situation, because they had not learnt to rise up against the system. He said the PML-N would not go nation’s sacrifices unnoticed.
http://www.thenews.com.pk/updates.asp?id=71175

EnlightenedMonk

Political unrest peaks in Pakistan; Nawaz Sharif dares Zardari

PML(N) chief Nawaz Sharif today dared the Zardari govt in a rally addressed in Abbottabad, saying that the latter has been responsible for all the on-going trouble in Pak. Addressing a huge turnout, he said, "The turnout shows our strength. Zardari is responsible for all the trouble for Pak. When Pak's future looks dark, then how can I stay back at my house." He added, "How can I stay back when the judicial system is not in place. The state apparatus is not working and the challenges on our borders are too many? We were very happy with Musharraf's exit, but nothing has changed since then."
This is from the frontpage of the website http://www.timesnow.tv/. No specific link that points to this story.... So, you can possibly only find it there for a limited time period...

EnlightenedMonk

Political unrest peaks in Pakistan; Nawaz Sharif dares Zardari

Former Pakistani Prime Minister and PML(N) chief Nawaz Sharif on Wednesday (March 11) dared the Zardari government in a rally addressed in Abbottabad, saying that the latter has been responsible for all the on-going trouble in Pakistan.

Addressing a huge turnout, he said, "The turnout shows our strength. Zardari is responsible for all the trouble for Pakistan. When Pakistan's future looks dark, then how can I stay back at my house."

He added, "How can I stay back when the judicial system is not in place. The state apparatus is not working and the challenges on our borders are too many? We were very happy with Musharraf's exit, but nothing has changed since then. I had high hopes when I signed the CoD with Benazir Bhutto."

Continuing to add pressure on Zardari, the former Pakistan PM went on to say, "A new beginning was to take place but things changed with the assasination of Benazir. When I met Zardari, I told him that I would never go back from my commitment. I told him, "The first step to resolving our problems is the restoration of judges, who were deposed by a dictator." Zardari agreed that the judges would be restored within 30 days."

"He then asked me to join them in the government. I did not want to do that but I accepted the proposal for the larger interest of the country. We did not want to take oath under the PCO. For this reason, our assembly members wore black arm bands. Since then we have not asked for any office in the government," added Sharif.

Spelling out the PML(N)'s only demand, the chief said, "We only demand prosperity of the coming generations and an independent judiciary. Those who themselves are not loyal to the country are talking about treason charges. Tell the people on the other side that Pakistanis now want to change the system."

Requesting the masses to support the PML(N) for the countrys' sake, Sharif added, "Today I am not running to ensure the country's progress. I am struggling for the Pakistan envisaged by Quaid-e-Azam and Allama Iqbal."

"March 15 and March 16 are approaching fast. I salute the people who have rejected Section 144. Imposition of this section cannot stop restoration of judges and progress of the country. Do not participate in the 'Long March' for Sharif but for the country's sake. These days will never come every now and then in the history of the nation. Today all responsibility lies on your shoulders to save the country," he added.

Earlier, after reports emerged on orders being passed to put the Sharif brothers under house arrest, sources in the PML-N denied that Nawaz Sharif's movements have been restricted.

Sharif's PML-N party held a massive rally against the Zardari government, and the Sharif brothers have managed to evade arrest so far. But, several leaders from Sharif's party have been detained in the Punjab province.

According to reports, the police have been ordered for home confinement of not only Nawaz and Shahbaz Sharif, but also Jamat-e-Islami leader Qazi Hussain Ahmed and Tehreek-e-Insaf chief Imran Khan.

Lawyers and political activists are organising a protest from March 12-16 to demand President Asif Ali Zardari make good on a promise to reinstate judges sacked by former military ruler Pervez Musharraf.
Found the full news item. Its at -
http://www.timesnow.tv/Newsdtls.aspx?NewsID=31734

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
@musalmanji, when I first made the thread, it was being reported that curfew/civil martial law has been imposed in pakistan.

musalman

پاکستان زنده باد
Country flag
@musalmanji, when I first made the thread, it was being reported that curfew/civil martial law has been imposed in pakistan.
And when i read it i was so happy :) coz aaj office nahi jana peray ga

Umido per pani soot dia aap ney

Ur TV is reporting Zaradari changing Kiyani :) Looks like Zaradari on the way out. Hope the PPP govt sstays :) There have been rifts in PPP too, two of its leader resigned from their posts in government:sAni_monkey:

EnlightenedMonk

And when i read it i was so happy :) coz aaj office nahi jana peray ga

Umido per pani soot dia aap ney

Ur TV is reporting Zaradari changing Kiyani :) Looks like Zaradari on the way out. Hope the PPP govt sstays :) There have been rifts in PPP too, two of its leader resigned from their posts in government:sAni_monkey:
Changing Kiyani ??? That is, Zardari wanted to sack Kiyani ???

Boss, who doesn't want to stay back at home and enjoy. What better enjoyment than catching up with friends at DefenceForum.in ??? :D:D:D

By the way, I have a holiday too, its Holi here in India...

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
This is mutiny

* Rehman Malik says criminal cases will be registered against ‘those inciting rebellion’
* Says no entry to Constitution Avenue
* Promises security to long march participants

By Fazal Sher

ISLAMABAD: Provocative statements by Nawaz Sharif are tantamount to mutiny and the government will register criminal cases “against those who are inciting rebellion” in case of human or property loss during the long march, Interior Adviser Rehman Malik warned on Monday.

“If, in this long march, any death takes place or anyone’s property is damaged ... the responsibility will be on those who are bearing the flag of sedition or have borne it, and a police compliant will be registered,” he told a news conference.

Referring to Section 124(a) of the Pakistan Penal Code, the interior adviser said provocation for revolt was punishable by imprisonment for life.

“We believe that every party, all citizens, have the right to protest, but the authorities will take strict action against those who try to violate law,” he said.

Malik said a team consisting of Islamabad Chief Commissioner Kamran Lashari, Inspector General Syed Kalb-e-Abass and other senior officials is negotiating with lawyers’ representatives about the venue of the long march. He said that the government had proposed to the organisers the protesters be kept out of Islamabad, and the demonstration be held at G-11 and Expo-Ground near Shakaraparian. “The Constitution Avenue is Red Zone. No one will be allowed to enter the Red Zone,” he said, adding however that the government would provide full security to the participants of the long march.

Rehman Malik said the Sharif brothers were inciting disobedience and rebellion in the country because they wanted mid-term elections.

http://dailytimes.com.pk/default.asp?page=2009\03\10\story_10-3-2009_pg1_3

jayadev

Founding Member
Country flag
i think in Pakistan only army can rule. mushraf regime used Kargil as the stepping stone to take the Pakistan's administration. and now Kiyani plans and Executed 26/11 to take back Pakistan from the "civilian" administration

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles