Brazil to build five submarines with France help

I-G

Tihar Jail
Banned

Updated on Monday, August 24, 2009, 09:24 IST Tags:Brazil, submarines, France, Amazon region

Sao Paulo: Brazil will build five submarines in collaboration with France to protect its vast off shore oil reserves in the Amazon region, a media report said on Sunday.

The Folha de Sao Paulo newspaper said President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva has already approved the submarine project prepared by the Defence Ministry.

Brazil will also build a nuclear submarine as part of the project, it said.

The Ministry also plans to set up of a joint general staff comprising personnel from the Army, Navy and the Air Force to protect the region. The proposal, which is already cleared by the President, will now be submitted to the Congress.

The government has invested nearly USD 30 billion to boost its defence industry.

IANS

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
Somewhere I heard, Scorpone subs for Brazil would be manufactured here in India, and nuclear reactor would be fitted in one of those sub.

mig-29

Somewhere I heard, Scorpone subs for Brazil would be manufactured here in India, and nuclear reactor would be fitted in one of those sub.
Thats not possible at all , where did you get the news , nuclear reactor in scorpene well it is diesel attack submarine , there is no way that anyone can fit a nuclear reactor in a SSN.

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
Thats not possible at all , where did you get the news , nuclear reactor in scorpene well it is diesel attack submarine
that's why I quoted somewhere

there is no way that anyone can fit a nuclear reactor in a SSN
USN hull classification code 'S' submersible 'S' ship 'N' nuclear powered (SSN) basically termed for Nuclear powered Attack Submarine of the USN.

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
that's why I quoted somewhere

USN hull classification code 'S' submersible 'S' ship 'N' nuclear powered (SSN) basically termed for Nuclear powered Attack Submarine of the USN.
According to International treaties you are not supposed to sell nuclear powered subs. So, I think its unlikely French will sell SSNs to Brazil, unless Brazil makes one of its own nuclear power reactor optimized for the sub like India did.

PS: on the other hand you can lease it though :wink: (India did with Charlie class submarine)

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
Well well may be its a wiki statement with no credible source that I am recollecting

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
According to International treaties you are not supposed to sell nuclear powered subs. So, I think its unlikely French will sell SSNs to Brazil, unless Brazil makes one of its own nuclear power reactor optimized for the sub like India did.
There is no news about selling a nuclear reactor.

p2prada

Scorpene can be fitted with a nuclear reactor. It is designed to hold a reactor within its hull. Rumour has it that the Brazilians have developed their own naval reactor and want to install it on a Scorpene as a TD.

I-G

Tihar Jail
Banned
Brazil's first N-sub to be launched in 2021

Updated on Friday, August 28, 2009, 13:36 IST Tags:Brazil, Nuclear submarine, 2021

Brasilia: Brazil's first nuclear submarine jointly built by Brazil and France would be launched in 2021, Defence Minister Nelson Jobim said.

Jobim told the country's Parliament on Thursday that though the Brazilian nuclear-driven submarine would be equipped with conventional weapons, it would considerably enhance the deterrent force of the Brazilian Navy.

Under the agreement signed by the two countries, France was to provide the core nuclear technologies that would help Brazil improve its research and development and production capabilities, Jobim added.

Brazil`s first n-sub to be launched in 2021

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles