Bollywood songs, dances banned in Lahore theatres

Blackwater

Lahore, Feb 16 (IANS) The performing arts council in Lahore has decided to ban all song and dance performances based on Indian films because of the presence of 'vulgarity' in them and to promote only classical dances in Pakistani theatre.

The decision of the Lahore Arts Council (LAC) has, however, infuriated producers and artistes who believe the council was trying to damage their business, the Express Tribune reported.

The decision was made to facilitate quality theatre, a council spokesperson said.

Chaudhary Zulfiqar Ahmad, chairman of the Commercial Theatre Producers' Association, said: 'How many films are made in Pakistan annually? From the handful that are made, how many have songs that we can use in our plays?'

'If we don't have performances on Indian songs, and cannot include any dance performances other than classical dance, then what are we left with,' he said.

'Some artistes and producers don't follow certain moral standards when including dance performances in their plays, they should be banned - not the dances.'

'Only a limited section of the audience appreciates classical dances, while large numbers of theatregoers have little or no interest in such performances. This ban will have major financial repercussions on commercial theatre,' Ahmad said.

Suggesting a remedy to the 'vulgarity' in commercial theatre, he said the council should strictly censor the scripts and not impose a ban.

'The script of a play is first approved by the LAC and the Punjab Arts Council and only then it is sent to the home department for clearance. Writers on the panel of the council approve the scripts,' he said.

Each submitted script mentions the dance performances included in a play. If the council has objections to any performance, it should censor that, instead of banning all dances featuring Indian songs, he opined.

'As far as Indian songs are concerned, many of them are now sung by Pakistani singers and are popular here. If we can allow them in the form of CDs, DVDs and screen them in our cinemas, why can't we include them in our stage plays,' asked another producer on the condition of anonymity.

On the other hand, popular Pakistani artistes like Samina Ahmad and Usman Peerzada are supporting the ban on Bollywood dance performances.

'Quite often, the dance performances in these commercial theatre productions are vulgar. The performances have no theme or relevance. It's better to ban such plays in their entirety instead of allowing them to have dances,' Peerzada said.
:D:D:D:shocked:

http://in.news.yahoo.com/bollywood-songs-dances-banned-lahore-theatres-20110215-233535-103.html

Vikramaditya

Country flag
Good, pakistan should ban Indian movies in pakistani theater and we should ban their artist performing in Indian industry. Fair deal.

Oracle

I do not understand why GoI does not take a tougher stance against Pakistan. Ban entry for all Pakistanis to India, be it musicians, journalists, sportsmen etc. Ban trade, cultural meets, ban everything. Isolate Pakistan from everything Indian, then those scums will come to their senses.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Noooooooooo I love Atif Aslam's voice. Too good. Those guys need to watch the opening ceremony in B'desh. Full of music and dance. Wonder what would have happened if Pak was still organizing and the opening ceremony was in Lahore?

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
I do not understand why GoI does not take a tougher stance against Pakistan. Ban entry for all Pakistanis to India, be it musicians, journalists, sportsmen etc. Ban trade, cultural meets, ban everything. Isolate Pakistan from everything Indian, then those scums will come to their senses.
I second you man. I am always against them coming to India, earning money and cursing our faiths like ungrateful wretches. Their artistes if so 'cool' should stay and try to become a hit in Karachi rather than Mumbai. They wanted a separate country; they got it. We don't need more dirt here.

3 conditions for Pakistan:

- Forget J&K
- Return POK and Shaksgam Valley with it ( you gave it away so you negotiate and take it back)
- Stop supporting Islamic terrorism against us

All this is done, complied and sincerely met,... then we talk. Or else we drive you to extinction without even using a bullet.

As for on topic... HA HA HA HA HA! :lol:. Why such a scare of Pakistani people loving Indian culture? After all, they were also this same people before being converted by invaders or something? It is in their genes to like this. No matter how much you isolate them, one day they will come back to this again. It might take decades. But they eventually will.

Guess the Evil Hindoos are up at it again..:rotfl:

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
Noooooooooo I love Atif Aslam's voice. Too good.
Bro, India has so much talent, so much talent that if these loser apologist AMAN KI ASHA clowns take the effort, you can find Kishore Kumar and Rafi here.. Atif Aslam likes will be there in every गली of India.

Trust me, we don't need a bunch of failed societies here with their cheap shit. I also appreciate some Pakistani artistes but not at the cost of our country's pride and self-respect.

Pintu

This has turned most annoying , I think some tit for tat measures , temporarily ban Pakistani movies being released here, or visas can not be issued to Pakistani Artists.

Regards

Oracle

Noooooooooo I love Atif Aslam's voice. Too good.
Are you nuts? He is good, but his voice appeals more to women than men. I guess you are kiddin'!

Those guys need to watch the opening ceremony in B'desh. Full of music and dance. Wonder what would have happened if Pak was still organizing and the opening ceremony was in Lahore?
Opening ceremony would have been with AKs firing, launching of missiles, suicide bombings, JF-17 blunder doing an air show, and finally kidnapping of all Cricketers!

niharjhatn

Haha, I wonder what they are going to do about classics like this? Pass it off as vulgar bull?

Last edited by a moderator:

warriorextreme

Country flag
pakistani ppl have talent but they dont deserve anything here in India.
they should not be given visa in any case,may that be a common pakistani or money hungary cricketer or item girl like veena malik..
so much hypocrisy for a country whose Mujara videos are all over on web..
Shame on pakistan and all those who support them.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Bro, India has so much talent, so much talent that if these loser apologist AMAN KI ASHA clowns take the effort, you can find Kishore Kumar and Rafi here.. Atif Aslam likes will be there in every गली of India.

Trust me, we don't need a bunch of failed societies here with their cheap shit. I also appreciate some Pakistani artistes but not at the cost of our country's pride and self-respect.
Well, I am not seeing any nationalities here but the artist. I like him and nothing wrong with the artist in him. Just like most of us appreciated the talent Wasim Akram and Waqar Younis had without bothering about their nationalities. Its his fate he happens to be a pakistani not indian. He could have done much better as an indian, yes there is abundant talent in india as well and recognized as we see in various shows these days.
Point is using cheap things like banning movies and stuff. Hardly makes any difference. People will still find ways to see them as it has been happening. Only exposes the thinking of the people ruling that country.

pmaitra

I am a great fan of Ghulam Ali, Salma Agha and Runa Laila. While Pakistan shuts itself off from Indian music and culture, we should wholeheartedly accept Pakistani artistes coming to India.

One question we should ask ourselves is why is Pakistan banning Indian movies? The reason is that Indian movies and soaps are a big hit with average Pakistanis. They love to watch Indian programmes. This irks Pakistan. Ban or no ban, average Pakistanis will find some way or the other to watch Indian movies. This is looking like a cultural war against Pakistan and the only thing I see is that Pakistani establishment is losing the war. They are losing it to India, which produces these movies and programmes, and to the Pakistani viewers who are so eager to watch them. This ban is just a reactionary measure.

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
Good. Now they can substitute their lack of genuine entertainment by going back to shaking their fists at the state for whatever random reason.

Oracle

Well, I am not seeing any nationalities here but the artist. I like him and nothing wrong with the artist in him. Just like most of us appreciated the talent Wasim Akram and Waqar Younis had without bothering about their nationalities. Its his fate he happens to be a pakistani not indian. He could have done much better as an indian, yes there is abundant talent in india as well and recognized as we see in various shows these days.
Point is using cheap things like banning movies and stuff. Hardly makes any difference. People will still find ways to see them as it has been happening. Only exposes the thinking of the people ruling that country.
I am a great fan of Ghulam Ali, Salma Agha and Runa Laila. While Pakistan shuts itself off from Indian music and culture, we should wholeheartedly accept Pakistani artistes coming to India.

One question we should ask ourselves is why is Pakistan banning Indian movies? The reason is that Indian movies and soaps are a big hit with average Pakistanis. They love to watch Indian programmes. This irks Pakistan. Ban or no ban, average Pakistanis will find some way or the other to watch Indian movies. This is looking like a cultural war against Pakistan and the only thing I see is that Pakistani establishment is losing the war. They are losing it to India, which produces these movies and programmes, and to the Pakistani viewers who are so eager to watch them. This ban is just a reactionary measure.
I agree with both of your POVs. However, it is next to impossible to expect Pakistan being a civilized country. They hit us with terrorists, we should hit them at every nook and corner we can. As for Pakistani artists, I too listen to them. But then again, what is the internet for? We should stay away from everything Pakistan and Pakistani.

Last edited:

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
I agree with both of your POVs. However, it is next to impossible to expect Pakistan being a civilized country. They hit us with terrorists, we should hit them at every nook and corner we can. As for Pakistani artists, I too listen to them. But then again, what is the internet for?
watching xxx videos ? :tsk:

Oracle

/\/\/\ I meant, why bring Pakistani artists to India, give them name, fame, money while they keep killing our citizens? We can listen to Pakistani music on the internet, right?

Last edited:

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
Personally i dont care who is artist as long as i like what i hear!

I dont think we should be bringing anyone from pakistan but since we are culturally superior to them they are attracted to us (both normal viewers and artists).

In any case all this banning of movies and music by govt of pak is petty and shows they are defeated in this aspect.

Wasn't there minister caught listening to Indian songs in his car right after giving speech demanding movies and songs from India be banned ? what a loony :lol:

Best policy is to ignore the scum and watch them tear themselves apart.

Rage

DFI TEAM
You know, you guys don't think big. It should be a matter of pride for us that foreign players and foreign artistes come to our shores to make a living. It is a testament to our economy or the state of the industry in this country. It is something we can rub in their faces and say, look at what a s&*thole you live in.

There is plenty of space for everyone in this industry, if they had the talent. They could be right up there. Producers would actually prefer to hire our own, rather than invest in someone who could be a potential no-show. Because, that involves hassles with visas, hassles with currency and hassles with security. This is not a zero-sum game, where every opportunity goes to a foreigner. Are you even aware of the scale of the industry? Besides, there is only so much a singer can handle at any one time. Only so many appointments, and so many prefixes. Pakistani singers bring something different to the table. And for that, they are appreciated, in line with the changing talents and changing tastes of this country.

When they sing in a Bollywood film, they do it under our name. There are few beyond the Subcontinent, who recognize the name Atif Aslam or Omer Inaayat. Far more recognize Bollywood, or watch a Bollywood film. And nobody watches the credits.

Oracle

/\/\/\ I re-iterate my point considering your view as very correct, nothing to do with Pakistan or anything Pakistani, until terrorism cedes from Pakistan, until we get back PoK and Aksai Chin.

Also, I guess pride should take a backseat, when our own get killed in our own Country by terrorists from Pakistan. Thanks, but no thanks.

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles