Bollywood, please stop demonising Muslims

sob

Mod
Country flag
For much of 70s and 80s the villains were KK, JK and likes. It was only the advent of state sponsored terrorism from Pakistan into India, that this phenomenon started. Also in 95% of the cases the villain is a Pakistani muslim and not Indian muslim-- this is a big difference, which the people from across our western borde will not realise.

Sunder singh

article writer is a big joker if somebody has played a role of muslim in movi how could he hav hindu name..
why this kolavery one more thread dedicated to create mis understanding between hindus and muslim in india. mod must closed such threads but agin our mods r like congressi no action will b taken

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I always wondered why lovable girls with golden hearts wearing mini skirts are always called Rosy and drink wine and alcohol!

One of the first Hindi films I saw (that too in the NDA, when I knew little Hindi, let alone Urdu and went to the Sunday Hindi films to avoid ragging) was a beautiful film called Mere Mehboob!

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Originally Posted by Daredevil
the villainous characters are shown as the members of the ISI which is completely preposterous.
What else can the film director do?

ISI chaps are villainous characters and worse! :pound:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Originally Posted by Daredevil
the villainous characters are shown as the members of the ISI which is completely preposterous.
What else can the film director do?

ISI chaps are villainous characters and worse! :pound:

SADAKHUSH

Country flag
They whine in Canada on our talk show on any news items I express my POV. They have asked the host to ban my calls. He refuses to comply and the next they hear ear full where I ask them to go back to your pure land of terrorists.

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag
In the movie Sarfarosh, there was a Hindu bad-guy (astrologer from Rajasthan), another Hindu bad guy (the guy who ambushes a bus and kills the passengers), as well as a Muslim good-guy (police officer).

There was another movie on the Kargil War, the name of which escapes me, where a few Muslim Indian soldiers tore off the green portion of the Indian Flag and attacked a Pakistani camp.

There are plenty of such examples.
To be honest, this thread is idiotic.

remember movie Lakshya, when the Pakistani asks the soldier is He a muslim on radio set, he replies, for you I am an Indian.
Lots of examples like this exist. The author of this farticle needs to have his head checked. It is just his constant persecution and victimhood complex that makes his spew such nonsense. Unfortunately, this kind of persecution complex is all too common in Pakistan. Its always, "boo hoo, the whole world is picking on us, we should be portrayed better, we are not bad, we are such good people, everyone is after us".

Movies related to terrorism, Kashmir, etc. will have Pakistani Muslim villains - deal with it. That is the reality of life. Maybe you folks should stop being terrorists, if you don't want to be portrayed as such.

devgupt

Country flag
In Agent Vinod, the main villain was a hindu who almost nuked Delhi!!

parijataka

Country flag
I think its the other way around - Hindi films are not afraid to make fun of Hindus or even Christians or show them in poor light but not Muslims. In the 90's Mani Ratnam's Bombay release led to protests by Muslims as the Muslim heroine(played by Manisha Koirala) is shown marrying Hindu hero(actor Aravinda Swamy). Muslims are shwon in many films as victims such as My Name is Khan or Fiza etc. While depiction of prejudices against Muslims may be correct (one very good movie was Garam Hawa), will any film maker hv the guts to show similar plight of Kashmiri pandits.

Last edited:

parijataka

Country flag
I always wondered why lovable girls with golden hearts wearing mini skirts are always called Rosy and drink wine and alcohol!

One of the first Hindi films I saw (that too in the NDA, when I knew little Hindi, let alone Urdu and went to the Sunday Hindi films to avoid ragging) was a beautiful film called Mere Mehboob!
Well, I think Christians many a time are depicted as gangsters and gangsters molls. In older Hindi movies the villains side kick used to be called `Raabert` for some unknown reason... :)

devgupt

Country flag
I think its the other way around - Hindi films are not afraid to make fun of Hindus or even Christians or show them in poor light but not Muslims. In the 90's Mani Ratnam's Bombay release led to protests by Muslims as the Muslim heroine(played by Manisha Koirala) is shown marrying Hindu hero(actor Aravinda Swamy). Muslims are shwon in many films as victims such as My Name is Khan or Fiza etc. While depiction of prejudices against Muslims may be correct (one very good movie was Garam Hawa), will any film maker hv the guts to show similar plight of Kashmiri pandits.
Actually there is one movie on Kashmiri Pandits - Sheen , but then the movie lacked stars, publicity, and hardly anyone has heard about it.

chase

Tihar Jail
Banned
When I was small I didn't notice that Bollywood was romanticizing Islam and Islamic culture (Movies like Ajooba etc)

Due to Sanskrization of "Hindustani" and decline of the Mumbai underworld, there has been a sharp decrease in this phenomenon.
The trend of Islamic glorification can be most seen in movies in 70's and the 80's .Almost all the movies had some muslim good guy whom 'allah' always helps.Muslims are shown to be very honest and principled peoples .And hindus always going to mosques to pray.

This always was suspicious for me that why they are doing so.
Now with the advent of continuous terror attacks in india ,bollywood seems to have changed it's tone on muslims but still it glorifies the muslims like in Rockstar,Once upon a time in Mumbai etc etc.

blank_quest

Country flag
The trend of Islamic glorification can be most seen in movies in 70's and the 80's .Almost all the movies had some muslim good guy whom 'allah' always helps.Muslims are shown to be very honest and principled peoples .And hindus always going to mosques to pray.

This always was suspicious for me that why they are doing so.
Now with the advent of continuous terror attacks in india ,bollywood seems to have changed it's tone on muslims but still it glorifies the muslims like in Rockstar,Once upon a time in Mumbai etc etc.
we are too descriptive.. is there any prescription ...? How to name the characters in movie so that it never hurts any religion??:confused:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Gram Hawa was a fantastic film.

Lt Gen Zu Shah, when he met me, was very critical of Nasseruddin Shah's (his brother) depiction of Muslims being stereotyped as terrorists in the film, Wednesday.

He does have a point.

But when I saw the film (on video) I never looked it that way!

In fact, Nassseruddin Shah's acting was so powerful that I never got a chance to think of it in that way.

I merely looked at it how a city can be held at ransom and it could be by anyone/ any group.

Last edited:

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag
Its time for the bollywood to move on to scifi movies like mars attacks so that there won't be an allegation of demonising Pakistanis or Muslims. There is even scope that our BFF Pakistanis help India in repelling the alien attack in climax:p

Global Defence

New threads

Articles