Boeing to offer Apache and Chinook to India

EnlightenedMonk

Member of The Month JULY 2009
Is LCH a replacement for Apache? I don't think so.

Apache IMO does not fit anywhere with our current doctrine, if we end up buying these oversexed birds it'll be rather foolish.
When did I say it is a replacement ??? Maybe you would like to read my post carefully...

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
Has this been approved by Congress? Also what kind of configuration is the Apache being offered in (avionics, what weapons it comes with etc)?
If one has to go by P8i aircraft deal, it will go to Congress approval only after a deal is reached by Boeing and India, in this case, if Boeing wins attack helicopters deal.

Flint

When did I say it is a replacement ??? Maybe you would like to read my post carefully...
Well if we are looking for a stopgap till the LCH, we should be considering something in the same league no? Its common sense.

And what's the gap that we are trying to stop anyway? IA never operated such attack helos before this.

EnlightenedMonk

Well if we are looking for a stopgap till the LCH, we should be considering something in the same league no? Its common sense.

And what's the gap that we are trying to stop anyway? IA never operated such attack helos before this.
The LCH is something that should be looked at in numbers since we produce it indigenously... the Apache is a league of its own and is possibly the premier Attack Helicopter out there... so, since its being offered what's wrong in buying it ???

It can also be used for other roles that the army will figure it out for...

And, what is this nonsense that the IA never operated this before ???

The Air force never operated AESAs before, so don't buy AESAs with the MRCA...

The Navy never operated Nuclear Submarines before, so don't buy them...

I'm sure that if the Army is looking at the Apache, they have something in mind for it and wouldn't needlessly spend on something unnecessary...

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Guys please understand that there was a requirement for such a chopper and there was an RFP floated for it. Beoing and Bell did not participate in it citing lack of time to prepare a detailed proposal.
Just recently the RFP was canceled and a fresh one was/is going to be issued. The very motive of canceling the old RFP was to give Boeing with its Apache and Bell with its Super Cobra a chance to compete. Its a foregone conclusion that the our forces want the Apache.
So these 22 choppers are neither a stopgap procurement nor is it a new proposal of Boeing to sell these to India. There is a requirement for such a chopper and in due course it will be procured, so will the LCH once its proves it worth.

EnlightenedMonk

Exactly my point Yousuf, also, I read somewhere that the initial procurement was slated to be around 80 helicopters, but due to the LCH it was downgraded to 22 attack helicopters... so, somewhere there is a possibility that this is just a stopgap for the LCH...

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
The capabilities of the Apache and LCH do not match. So it cannot be the case. We dont even have all the details of the performance characteristics of the LCH. One thing for sure is that its going to be light weight so that it can operate at great heights.
Apache pack more punch and is in a completely different league.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Its like saying the MRCA is a stopgap purchase till the LCA come along. I think that the best comparison i can come up with.

EnlightenedMonk

I know it sounds entirely stupid, but thats what it says... please understand yaar...

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Cannot go by everything that Wiki says.

Soham

DFI TEAM
Country flag
are we planning to use them on insurgents and terrorists or are they just gonna be used for anti armor?

Apaches Infrared cameras and silent operation can really help us fight the insurgents in the jungles
Using them against insurgents would be an overkill, their primary role(as mentioned before) would generally be to gift a 24 carat pure destruction to enemy armour.

Shiny Capstar

Professional
Using them against insurgents would be an overkill, their primary role(as mentioned before) would generally be to gift a 24 carat pure destruction to enemy armour.
They may be overkill but they certainly are good. You can't run from the Apache, when it comes up over the horizon you get a nice warm feeling knowing your enemy will soon be very very dead. The few times I have worked with them I have been left happy, if only we had more of them. Generally and in theatre.

For India though they would be much better used over in the West. Dealing death to whatever gets in their way.

zraver

Professional

India didn't used to operate guns either, how well did that work out when the Portuguese showed up? Just because India does not have something, does not mean it does not need it. The Apache Longbow is bar none the best attack helo in the world in terms of capabilities. As for where it would obviously fit in- in- Cold Start both to hunt Pakistani attack helos and screen the manauever units/hunt enemy armor. It would also give India a huge benefit in the disputed areas with China. Afghanistan proves the Apache can operate at high altitudes and provide tank like fire power.

VayuSena1

Professional
I say we grab the Apache.
LCH is still going to take some time to optimize itself.

The Apache is a killing machine. Just hope the US doesn't present it with strings attached.
A deal and no strings attached courtesy State Department? It is like asking to light water on fire.

tito

Assuming India only fights counter-insurgency wars in the near future, its might be a waste of money to buy apaches

Pintu

Apache is a very capable one, and its really needed for India, it proved its worth in Afghanistan, but at the same I am equally unsure about US state department. The US weapons are and the companies are trusted in the service, we can not be sure about the USA administration.

Regards

Soham

DFI TEAM
Country flag
Assuming India only fights counter-insurgency wars in the near future, its might be a waste of money to buy apaches
Except thats not going to be the case and its an army's duty to prepare for any eventuality.
According to your logic, we should keep increasing the infantry strength and forget about the rest ?

Soham

DFI TEAM
Country flag
A deal and no strings attached courtesy State Department? It is like asking to light water on fire.
While I can't deny that fact, it might just be worth it, no?
Especially, since we and our neighbours have had some of the biggest tank-battles in history, it might make sense to get a tank-killer.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles