Boeing to offer Apache and Chinook to India

Soham

DFI TEAM
Country flag
Why Boeing thinks the Chinook is better than the Mi-26....

Soham

DFI TEAM
Country flag
But....

P.S. Can anyone translate that Russian ?

Webcrawler

If the objective to go in for the Chinook's and the Apache is to slowly phase out the aging Soviet-era weapons, we might as well go ahead and grab it. It is true that the Mi-17 and the Mi-35s are aging. As for the Apache, is is a question of whether we can wait till the LCH is decked up and optimised?

jackprince

Turning into a frog
Country flag
mi-17 aren't being phased out as india recently ordered over 80 mi-17IV, which is also known as Mi-8MTV-1, to replace aging mi-8s. Which confuses me though. if buying new birds, why not go for newer model?

IMO india shouldn't go for Chinook as it's work can equally be done with Mi-26 if Chinook too comes with strings.

On the other hand we need either apache, Super Cobra when it is offered or at least Eurocopter Tiger, if attached strings are proved to be too unbearable. We need a tank-killer. PA operates close to 40 cobra and in a future tank battle these birds can be decisive. LCH is not in pipeline yet and even when it comes it's killing power wont be anywhere close to apache or super cobra. LCH would have different use, as due to its light weight and service ceiling, it can operate in extreme heights, like in Ladakh, where Apache or Cobra can't operate with armload.

C-17 would be overkill IMO. It's hideously expensive and price does matter here as India doesn't yet need a strategic airlift. It is still few years when India may play international ball in a big way where it's IL-76 wont be able support or a a/c with more payload may be needed.

Atul

Founding Member
Chinook my friend is a old technology. but reliable & has its own advantages.

Apache is a costly proposition. ( think twice before investing in it ) we can effort two KA-52's in the same cost...

Shiny Capstar

Professional
Chinook my friend is a old technology. but reliable & has its own advantages.

Apache is a costly proposition. ( think twice before investing in it ) we can effort two KA-52's in the same cost...
What about the operating costs?

Atul

Founding Member
What about the operating costs?
My Dear Friend, am speaking of the unit price vis-a-vis operating cost, calculation.

more over the Russian Gunship will not come with astrics attached to it.

bhramos

Country flag
My Dear Friend, am speaking of the unit price vis-a-vis operating cost, calculation.

more over the Russian Gunship will not come with astrics attached to it.
hi friend i've seen that Mi-28 were more powerful and Manvorable then Ka-52's

J

John

Apache block 3 has a newer higher thrust engine and can control upto 4 UAVS while in air, longer range as well as better avionics. its cieling altitude is highest amongst attack choppers and hence the ideal for us. plus it can fire new gen laser guided hydra 70mm rockets with ranges of around 12000m, this allows the apache to carry upto 32 missiles in a single sortie whihc is unparalleled.

http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/images/ORD_DAGR_Mounted_w_Hellfires_Concept_lg.jpg

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles