Boeing says IAF inquiry for twin-engine fighter coming soon, hopes to build 200 in India

AmoghaVarsha

Country flag
he Indian Air Force (IAF) has already approached major global fighter vendors, inviting them to build single-engine, medium fighters in India. Now the spotlight is expanding to encompass heavier, twin-engine fighters as well. On Thursday, Pratyush Kumar, President of Boeing India revealed that he expected a second inquiry from the IAF, asking international manufactures for interest in building twin-engine fighters in the country. Along with other vendors, Boeing had received the earlier inquiry for single-engine fighters. With nothing to offer in that category, Boeing ...

http://www.business-standard.com/ar...pes-to-build-200-in-india-116110301446_1.html

republic_roi97

Country flag
I think that we might go in for 200 twin engine jets and make the path clear for Tejas production.

Butter Chicken

Country flag
I think they do not care for single or twin engine,they will pick whoever will transfer the most technology

Mikesingh

Professional
Country flag
What about 350 total aircrafts by 2030-32 and having a 50 squadron IAF.
50 squadrons will be un-affordable to maintain. The air force budget would need to be doubled. So 42-45 squadrons would be ideal from the point of view of economics as well as threat perception.

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
50 squadrons will be un-affordable to maintain. The air force budget would need to be doubled. So 42-45 squadrons would be ideal from the point of view of economics as well as threat perception.
It should get doubled , our GDP is predicted to reach 8-12$tr at that time . taking a median of 10$Tr a 2.3% defence budget would translate into 230$bil the IAF should have 60$bil of that pie easily.

Mikesingh

Professional
Country flag
It should get doubled , our GDP is predicted to reach 8-12$tr at that time . taking a median of 10$Tr a 2.3% defence budget would translate into 230$bil the IAF should have 60$bil of that pie easily.
Thumhare muh mein ghee shakkar!! :biggrin2:

Bahamut

F 18ASH is a nice choice , engine is common with Tejas ,hope we can integrate Israeli A2A weapons instead of US ones to increase commonality

AmoghaVarsha

Country flag
Ideally i want a 5% defence budget.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
With this news, forum discussions on FA18 becomes valid. Till now single engine fighter thread was getting derailed with double engine discussions.

I guess the question now is bring in a new platform or expanding mig-29 and Su-30 already available.

This time Indian Govt may not insist on MII component of the deal, we already have assembly lines of double engine fighter jets.

Bahamut

The problem is that Shornet is fat.
We donot need a Air Superiority fighter ,we already have Su 30 MKI and Rafale and in future Tejas and FGFA .We need a multi role fighter and F 18 has a decent Air to air characteristics

republic_roi97

Country flag
With this news, forum discussions on FA18 becomes valid. Till now single engine fighter thread was getting derailed with double engine discussions.

I guess the question now is bring in a new platform or expanding mig-29 and Su-30 already available.

This time Indian Govt may not insist on MII component of the deal, we already have assembly lines of double engine fighter jets.
Are you suggesting that we should go in for Mig-35 ? If so, in comparison to F/A-18 ASH, where does it stand, and BTW, F/A-18 has F-414 which would be the same engine that could be used in future Tejas and AMCA, so it makes things easier I guess (?).

Bahamut

Are you suggesting that we should go in for Mig-35 ? If so, in comparison to F/A-18 ASH, where does it stand, and BTW, F/A-18 has F-414 which would be the same engine that could be used in future Tejas and AMCA, so it makes things easier I guess (?).
Mig 35 is better in Air to Air combat has has weapons common with Su 30 and some tecnology like radar common with Super Sukhoi but F 18ASH has common engine but no common weapons unless we are able to integrate some Israeli weapons .

Butter Chicken

Country flag
We should buy Mig-35 with full ToT from Russkies,MiG is struggling financially and we could get some interesting technology.Mig-35 is the cheapest capable aircraft to fill numbers.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles