Blast in Assam

ZOOM

Founding Member
No, but that's the way it usually is. Attack in New York gets more attention than attack in Kathgodam. These are media and economic centres and hence get more coverage.
Bhaisaheb, I am contexting who get more attention or who gets least, All i am saying that why does there is such tendencies. Since I can't see my countrymen getting sloughterd by Sepertist and not getting enough attention to stop futher killing of such innoceance, just because they dont qualify for the merit of hailing from some modern cities.

That's my point. Assam is also a part of "mainstream India".
Then why con't our government and so called citizens show similar level of extra enthusiasm in investigating and pressuring BD and Pak to bring culprits at book?

Read it up Zoom. Not merged - given statehood.
It had something to do with your own error in previous sentence.

What's the reason? Distance? Cultural Differences? You can't blame anybody for that, can you?
Only one reason, Seperation and destabilizing very idea of India. Since even if when give in to their proposal, it doesn't gurantee us anymore harmony.

ZOOM

Founding Member
More media presence in the metropolis compared to NE or Kashmir gives more exposure to the terrorist attacks and in turn creates more pressure on the politicians and investigating agencies to solve the cases. It is all about how much exposure a terrorist attack gets.
There is already a widespread exposure to terror attacks in both Kashmir and NE since decades. But tendencies among the people to overlook the same and later paying the price of similar overlooking of such issues cost them a big time.

Auberon

You're right - the word wasn't merged - but it could have been misinterpreted.
Merged, Included - Same thing, Given statehood, hardly the same.

But never mind, I ll put it down to miscommunication.

And I think your comparison of Nagaland/Mizoram with Himachal is not apt at all. These three states have been historically quite cutoff from 'mainstream' India. They don't really share the same histories, identities and mythologies that say Himachal would share with Kerala or Tamil Nadu.

Do you know that the NE insurgencies were the first ones in India? they began way back in the 60s. My point is that statehood plays a huge part in empowering people and developing their identity, and this was the reason why the NE is divided in to so many tiny states.
The violence hasn't just been against the Indian state, infact most of it has been between different ethic groups and tribes who cannot seem to get along. This raises interesting question about the social structure in NE India which is quite different from the Indian caste-hierarchy. its a flat structure which results in constant conflict.
Not my comparison at all. I was merely pointing out that its a matter of cultural, not political integration. You have essentially just expanded on what I said.

Nonetheless there are a lot of similarities, and sure you can point out the differences and I can the similarities and we can go on like this forever. But the fact is that at some point, the differences become wide enough to be called "distinct" as compared to "mainstream India". That what happens IMO in Nagaland and Mizoram.
"Mainstream India" doesn't mean squat. India is not USSR or China where the culture of the majority is forced on the culture of miniorities. You are essentially saying Nagaland and Mizoram are somehow different because of their "distinct" culture while the rest of India is homogeneous.

Which states don't have the Mahabharata/Ramayana as a part of their identity? Which states are predominantly Christian?
Religious identity, cultural identity, different things, don't go into Hindutva mode here ....

Which states have had their historical trade routes cut-off due to modern borders, resulting in almost zero trade and development?
Valid, also J and K :p

Could you clarify where the funding comes from? China? ISI?
Yes, also Bangladesh. However, insurgency can only last with the active help of the locals, case in point, Punjab, insurgency didn't last because of lack of popular support.

I wouldn't compare Kashmir with the NE Insurgencies. The circumstances are completely different.
" We are not a part of India" attitude of the people is same. Results are also quite same. Actors and instigators are different, but thats also heading the same way, J n K militancy is now primarily reliant of foreign fighters, will be the same in N.E. after some time as I see it.

Auberon

I am not contexting aspect of getting less attention according to prestiage being assigned to particuler region. All I am contexting, why does there is a tendencies among the people to go overboard when it comes to terror attack on Mumbai like City? why can't they show similar level of emotions and rage when it comes to serial bomb explosion in remote part of this countries. Since in both this terror attack, objectives of Terror outfits is one and same thing, that is to destabilze India. This particuler tendencies often play a vital part in success of terrorist in carrying out or transitioning attack from remote part to more developed part of the country. Why does Indian government bring international pressure on a countries like BD in a similar manner the way we are doing against pak to bring culprits behind the bars in case of Mumbai Attack? This particuler tendencies on the part of GOI gives more boost to legtimacy of Terror outfits to carry terror attack.
Agreed.

That is why I am asking why we tend to overlook Kashmir and NE when it comes to terror attack? Why hasn't been enough being done to show similar level of vigour in investigating and pressuring countries involve in support of terror outfits when they carry out such explosions?
Kashmir is definitely not being overlooked, we'v been doing our level best to solve the terrorism problem there and the results have also been satisfactory, thought not absolute. I have full faith that eventually our policy in Kashmir will succeed and not only will we eleminate the problem of Pak sponsored terror but also win over the hearts and mind of people.

About N.E., my take is a tad controversial, so I won't post in an open forum, but we can PM you if you want.

It is established fact that only funding constraint wont going to do any squeeze on Terror outfits, since countries at large provide them enough to concentrate only on terror attacks rather then worrying for funding.
Fact established by who?

Auberon

Monday, April 13, 2009
Twin blasts in Assam, narrow escape for Kamrup Express
Diphu: Targeting the Kolkata-Dibrugarh Kamrup Express, suspected KLNLF militants exploded a bomb on the railway track in central Assam's Karbi Anglong district on Sunday night, derailing a security patrolling engine preceding the train.

Official sources said an improvised explosive device (IED) was triggered on the track at Kalahandle between Doldoli and Diphu railway stations at around 9.15pm.

The engine in which RPF personnel was checking the railway line for bombs before arrival of the Kamrup Express, jumped the tracks and fell on its side after the blast.

The Karbi Longri National Liberation Front (KLNLF) militants also fired from both sides at the engine.

However, there was no casualty. About 23 feet of the tracks were damaged due to the explosion and trains including the Kamrup Express were halted at various stations.

Sound of another blast was heard somewhere between Diphu and Nilalang and security personnel have rushed there, the sources said.

Diphu will go to polls on April 16 when first phase of Lok Sabha elections will be held in Assam. The militants called a 48-hour bandh from April 15.

Source: PTI

http://news.in.msn.com/national/article.aspx?cp-documentid=2848372

Flint

Merged, Included - Same thing, Given statehood, hardly the same.

But never mind, I ll put it down to miscommunication.
Why thank you good sir.

Not my comparison at all. I was merely pointing out that its a matter of cultural, not political integration. You have essentially just expanded on what I said.
\

And what exactly do you mean by cultural integration?

"Mainstream India" doesn't mean squat. India is not USSR or China where the culture of the majority is forced on the culture of miniorities. You are essentially saying Nagaland and Mizoram are somehow different because of their "distinct" culture while the rest of India is homogeneous.
No I'm saying that Nagaland and Mizoram are different in certain sailent aspects from all other parts of India, not that India is homogeneous. Infact I clearly said that India is NOT homogeneous. Care to read it again ?

Religious identity, cultural identity, different things, don't go into Hindutva mode here ....
Hindutva mode? Are you making a personal attack friend? Listen, I'm sure Mr. Ahmed on this forum considers the Mahabharat as a part of his identity and history, even though he's not a Hindu.

However a Christian from Nagaland doesn't consider the Mahabharata as a part of his history. Kosher?

Now don't start attacking me for apparently suggesting that its solely the Mahabharata which makes us Indian. It doesn't. However its in no small terms a contribution towards what makes us feel Indian.

Valid, also J and K :p
Not really, and if so, hardly to the same extent as a couple of the NE states.

Yes, also Bangladesh. However, insurgency can only last with the active help of the locals, case in point, Punjab, insurgency didn't last because of lack of popular support.
Well, that's the point I'm making. Its useless to blame outsiders, who WILL take advantage of the already prevailing situation.

The fact is that the people in these societies have a lot of unsolved problems, both economic and emotional, which need to be tackled by someone who understands them.

" We are not a part of India" attitude of the people is same. Results are also quite same. Actors and instigators are different, but thats also heading the same way, J n K militancy is now primarily reliant of foreign fighters, will be the same in N.E. after some time as I see it.
I'll agree with that, except for the ominous prediction which frankly I dunno.

Flint

Bhaisaheb, I am contexting who get more attention or who gets least, All i am saying that why does there is such tendencies. Since I can't see my countrymen getting sloughterd by Sepertist and not getting enough attention to stop futher killing of such innoceance, just because they dont qualify for the merit of hailing from some modern cities.
Well, if you can establish a couple of dozen 24x7 news channel headquarters in Guwahati I'm sure they'll get more coverage. There's no point complaining that the Metros get more attention. That's always going to be the case.

Regarding 'getting enough attention', perhaps it would help if the attacks in each and every part of our country are beamed live into each and every home, but I don't think more attention is the ultimate solution to the problem.

Then why con't our government and so called citizens show similar level of extra enthusiasm in investigating and pressuring BD and Pak to bring culprits at book?
Gosh, why didn't our citizens show enthusiasm while booking the culprits for the Malegaon case? As I said, Mumbai WILL get more media attention than Guwahati and there's nothing you can do about it.
It will be better IMO if the people of Guwahati, who presumably understand the situation there better, be the ones obsessing about it rather than somebody from Bombay who will probably have not an iota of understanding about it.

That doesn't mean that the people of Bombay shouldn't care about Guwahati. Solidarity is always good, but its unreasonable to expect them to be as disturbed an attack over there than an attack in their own city and region.
Local is first, always. A guy from Kerala will be far more useful solving the problem of sewage in his hometown than obsessing about bomb attacks in Guwahati.

It had something to do with your own error in previous sentence.
You're right. It was my mistake. What I meant was that the NE states were having serious issues with tribal warfare and whatnot, even today a lot of the separatists want a different homeland for their own tribe, because the state they live in is dominated by the enemy tribe or somesuch. But giving statehood was the first important step towards ending the insurgencies. It also brought a lot of the separatists into the mainstream for the first time by giving them a share of power.

Only one reason, Seperation and destabilizing very idea of India. Since even if when give in to their proposal, it doesn't gurantee us anymore harmony.
My friend, the idea of India is still has a huge "under construction" tag.

Auberon

Why thank you good sir.
You're welcome :blum3:

And what exactly do you mean by cultural integration?
A lot more than your initial implication of being given statehood, which you've basically digressed with in your later post. Your last post is essentially what I was saying also.

No I'm saying that Nagaland and Mizoram are different in certain sailent aspects from all other parts of India, not that India is homogeneous. Infact I clearly said that India is NOT homogeneous. Care to read it again ?
I see, so what does "distinct" as compared to "mainstream India" mean then? Feel free to quote where you've "clearly said that India is NOT homogeneous". Your premise wrt "mainstream India" was clearly that the rest of India has some sort of cultural base that doesn't extend to the N.E. That is clearly not so, for the culture of other parts of India is so distinct from each other that its ludicrous to compare it in totality with the culture of NE.

Hindutva mode? Are you making a personal attack friend? Listen, I'm sure Mr. Ahmed on this forum considers the Mahabharat as a part of his identity and history, even though he's not a Hindu.

However a Christian from Nagaland doesn't consider the Mahabharata as a part of his history. Kosher?
You insist on mixing religious and cultural identity. Whatever makes you think a Christian other than one from Nagaland considers Mahabharta a part of his history?

Oh and btw *Which states don't have the Mahabharata/Ramayana as a part of their identity* how about Ramayana of Sri Madhava?

However its in no small terms a contribution towards what makes us feel Indian.
Boo, so basically a person who doesn't consider Mahabharat is lacking in no small terms a feeling of being Indian?

Not really, and if so, hardly to the same extent as a couple of the NE states.
Ever been to J and K? Do elucidate why you feel the extent of probs is any lesser in NE, because that wasn't what I'v observed.

Well, that's the point I'm making. Its useless to blame outsiders, who WILL take advantage of the already prevailing situation.

The fact is that the people in these societies have a lot of unsolved problems, both economic and emotional, which need to be tackled by someone who understands them.
Tell me whats not being done for these people which was done for the people of Punjab?

I'll agree with that, except for the ominous prediction which frankly I dunno.
Sure, thats just how I see it.

Flint

A lot more than your initial implication of being given statehood, which you've basically digressed with in your later post. Your last post is essentially what I was saying also.
I see.

I see, so what does "distinct" as compared to "mainstream India" mean then? Feel free to quote where you've "clearly said that India is NOT homogeneous". Your premise wrt "mainstream India" was clearly that the rest of India has some sort of cultural base that doesn't extend to the N.E. That is clearly not so, for the culture of other parts of India is so distinct from each other that its ludicrous to compare it in totality with the culture of NE.
Please, don't go into semantics here. This is clearly getting highly ridiculous.

The oh-so-distinct cultures of India do share similarities which is essentially what makes them Indian rather than Chinese or French. Would you agree on that one?

You insist on mixing religious and cultural identity. Whatever makes you think a Christian other than one from Nagaland considers Mahabharta a part of his history?
The Greeks are Christian, aren't they? Then why do they consider the Illiad of Homer as a part of their history and culture? Because IT IS!!

Oh and btw *Which states don't have the Mahabharata/Ramayana as a part of their identity* how about Ramayana of Sri Madhava?
What about it?

Boo, so basically a person who doesn't consider Mahabharat is lacking in no small terms a feeling of being Indian?
No, I'm sure a muslim who identifies with the Mughals would not lack a feeling of Indianness. But then you're simply turning the logic on its head for the sake of prolonging the argument?

Ever been to J and K? Do elucidate why you feel the extent of probs is any lesser in NE, because that wasn't what I'v observed.
Friend I was born in J&K.

Tell me whats not being done for these people which was done for the people of Punjab?
Oh No, you're not going to bring Punjab in for the sake of it. You know that it was quite different, and that Punjabi identity was never at odds with the Indian one.

Auberon

IPlease, don't go into semantics here. This is clearly getting highly ridiculous.

The oh-so-distinct cultures of India do share similarities which is essentially what makes them Indian rather than Chinese or French. Would you agree on that one?
Already answered, you are just going to go round and round in circles with that one.

What about it?
Its Assamese, or is Assam not a part of the NE insurgency?

No, I'm sure a muslim who identifies with the Mughals would not lack a feeling of Indianness. But then you're simply turning the logic on its head for the sake of prolonging the argument?
No, you didn't address the question at all. You assert that *However its in no small terms a contribution towards what makes us feel Indian.* My question is *so a person who doesn't consider Mahabharat is lacking in no small terms a feeling of being Indian?* Doesnt have to be Moslem. Why do you insist on strawman arguments?

Friend I was born in J&K.

Then as I said, share your opinion on why you feel the extent of probs is any lesser than in NE, because Iv been to both and that wasn't what I'v observed.

Oh No, you're not going to bring Punjab in for the sake of it. You know that it was quite different, and that Punjabi identity was never at odds with the Indian one.
Ok Flint, I am not going to bring in a formerly insurgent area but you can bring in Homer and Illiad though :blum3:

ZOOM

Founding Member
Well, if you can establish a couple of dozen 24x7 news channel headquarters in Guwahati I'm sure they'll get more coverage. There's no point complaining that the Metros get more attention. That's always going to be the case.
Why does there is a need for 24x7 news channel to have a enough coverage in a first place? when something like Cricket match in Guwahati can get enough coverage from media and from entire nation then why can't be the same thing happen for bomb attack in Assam?

Regarding 'getting enough attention', perhaps it would help if the attacks in each and every part of our country are beamed live into each and every home, but I don't think more attention is the ultimate solution to the problem.
Yes it does, since only enough coverage and subsequent rage propell our leaders to drive international pressure on pak.

Gosh, why didn't our citizens show enthusiasm while booking the culprits for the Malegaon case?
Atleast let investigation complete.

As I said, Mumbai WILL get more media attention than Guwahati and there's nothing you can do about it.
It will be better IMO if the people of Guwahati, who presumably understand the situation there better, be the ones obsessing about it rather than somebody from Bombay who will probably have not an iota of understanding about it.
What added knowledge or understanding do average citizen of this country need to have about Assam to reckon blast in Assam? All is known that, the serial bombing was carried out by some Terror outfits, that's it, when terror comes in the picture and similar level of tactics being used by terror outfits in carrying out such attack to kill as many as they can then what kind of special understanding one need to possess?

That doesn't mean that the people of Bombay shouldn't care about Guwahati. Solidarity is always good,
Solidarity, when and how? when you yourself says that not much attention can be diverted to NE then question of giving sympthy or solidarity doesn't even arises, as according to you everyone need some understanding.

but its unreasonable to expect them to be as disturbed an attack over there than an attack in their own city and region.
Local is first, always. A guy from Kerala will be far more useful solving the problem of sewage in his hometown than obsessing about bomb attacks in Guwahati.
It's not about obessession, rather creating enough pressure to drive our leaders to create enough focus and attention to stop anymore attack.

johnee

btw, manmohan singh is rajya sabha MP from assam. and he didnt even a issue a statement or visit the victims when assam is being rocked by serial bomb blasts.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles