Big boost for techies: India permanent member of Washington Accord

Peter

Pratik Maitra
Country flag
Big boost for techies: India made permanent member of Washington Accord

NEW DELHI: India today became a permanent member of the Washington Accord, which would enable global recognition of Indian degrees and increase the mobility of engineers to the USA and other countries for jobs.

The accord requires that member nations set up suitable accreditation standards which would ensure a minimum quality of attainment for their engineering graduates.

India, which has been a provisional member of Washington Accord since 2007, was working for several years to become a permanent member.

The breakthrough came at a meeting of the International Engineering Alliance in Wellington, New Zealand, this morning where the members voted to induct India as a permanent member of the select group.

Congratulating her ministry's officials, HRD Minister Smriti Irani said that the development will "ensure that highest quality assurance standards (are) implemented in our technical and engineering programmes to provide global mobility to our engineering graduates".

"Degrees which have been so accredited... will substantially enhance (Indian graduates') employment opportunities around the world," she said in a statement.

Congratulations also poured in from her predecessor and former HRD Minister MM Pallam Raju who said that membership of the Washington Accord would be a good facilitator as it would give greater flexibility to Indian students and provide recognition to their degrees.

"Congratulations to the Ministry, after a seven-year effort by the Ministry, India has gained permanent membership of the Washington Accord!," he tweeted.

Now, degrees awarded by institutions accredited by the National Board of Accreditation (NBA) would be recognised by all Washington Accord member nations, he said.

The Accord was signed in 1989 as an international agreement among bodies responsible for accrediting engineering degree programmes. Some 17 countries are signatories to it.

Big boost for techies: India made permanent member of Washington Accord - Economic Times

Peter

Pratik Maitra
Country flag
This accord has only been for a few colleges(most likely IITs,NITs) as per my friends. Sadly my college,JU , a govt one, has not become part of it.

On the brighter side this accord will enable more Indian students to go to US for higher studies and also get jobs in foreign lands easily. This has been a positive development IMO and the Indian govt should be lauded for its efforts.

Peter

Pratik Maitra
Country flag
so some brilliant student will go for foreign job and some average one will take their places.
Due to an unjustified infraction, I cannot edit my posts so pardon any mistakes.

The fact is that it is not only for getting jobs. Rather the accords says that from now on the Indian university degrees will be recognized and given equal importance in all the countries that are part of the accord. So if one chooses to go for higher studies he won`t have any problem with his preliminary degrees. Of course that also means that higher degrees in India will also be recognized in this countries from now on.

anoop_mig25

Country flag
Due to an unjustified infraction, I cannot edit my posts so pardon any mistakes.

The fact is that it is not only for getting jobs. Rather the accords says that from now on the Indian university degrees will be recognized and given equal importance in all the countries that are part of the accord. So if one chooses to go for higher studies he won`t have any problem with his preliminary degrees. Of course that also means that higher degrees in India will also be recognized in this countries from now on.
Acord doesnt recongise all universities but only selected universities/collages.Also this universities have to again for process for accredition process again

Peter

Pratik Maitra
Country flag
Acord doesnt recongise all universities but only selected universities/collages.Also this universities have to again for process for accredition process again
I have mentioned this in my second post. Only some colleges are in the list and I have heard that this list will be updated as proper applications are yet to be filled. Even a few govt colleges are missing in the list. The govt college authorities will most likely fill for the accreditation in a day or two. That is why I did not post the list of colleges as it is likely to be revised.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles