Bhutan to step up vigil at its border with India

RPK

Indyakudimahan
Country flag
Bhutan to step up vigil at its border with India

THIMPHU: Bhutan has dismissed the reports of presence of permanent camps of the Indian militant groups on its territory but said it can't rule out
occasional incursions by the terrorists in the country.

"There are unconfirmed reports of ULFA training camps along the Indo-Bhutan border but not within Bhutan," said Joint Secretary of Law and Order Bureau Karma T Namgyal, who was part of the Bhutanese delegation that held parleys with an Indian team at the Seventh Border Coordination Development Meeting here.

The Indian officials said ULFA and NDFB militants, based in Assam, are regrouping and may try to enter Bhutan to set up camps.

"We were told that these groups are regrouping and planning to come back. We need to be more vigilant.

"...there are no permanent camps in Bhutan, but we can't rule out occasional temporary incursions," Namgyal said.

According to the Indian officials, these groups are in close collaboration with anti-national groups like Communist Party of Bhutan (MLM), Bhutan Tiger Force (BTF) and Revolutionary Youth of Bhutan (RYOB).

"We've also received information that Maoist groups like MLM, BTF and RYOB are receiving trainings from ULFA and Bodo militants in batches," Namgyal was quoted as saying by the state-run daily Kuensel.

Tamil

Country flag
I Know Bhutan i went there few times. its a nice country with peace but surrounded by India & china are very much difficult for them, and terror in these region is unexpected...

:india:

natarajan

we need to keep control over them to prevent them from falling into chinese hands

Flint

we need to keep control over them to prevent them from falling into chinese hands
natarajan, I don't think such an imperialistic attitude will help.

Bhutan is a very good friend and ally of India, and we should respect them like any other friendly country.

SATISH

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
Well I would like Indian companies to invest more in Bhutanese infrastructure and build up a good economy for them. Whatever we have done to them is not enough.

Koji

Well I would like Indian companies to invest more in Bhutanese infrastructure and build up a good economy for them. Whatever we have done to them is not enough.
You don't know anything about Bhutan do you? They could care less about your investments or infrastructure. They care about GDH (Gross Domestic Happiness, I kid you not) than about GDP.

It is about a neutral a country can get.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Bhutan is an independent country with a military arrangement with India.

India assists immensely the Govt of Bhutan in all her industrial and infrastructure pursuits.

It is a very beautiful country and is worth a visit.

I have been there many a time in course of my career.

One of the King's cousin who is the son of the first PM is my coursemate and doing exceedingly well.

The PM's brother is married to my teacher's daughter!

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles