Bhangarh - Haunted City

arya

Country flag

There are ghosts, and there are haunted places. How many haunted places, though, have the distinction of being acknowledged by a government? None, we think.Take Bhangarh in the state of Rajasthan, India for example. Local mythology says the place is haunted, as local mythologies are wont to do. But in this case, the Archaelogical Survey of India (ASI) in charge of it warns people off the area!
The ASI is the official government body in charge across India of all the monuments and ruins.
Take a look at this ASI signboard in Bhangarh. The signboard is placed 1 Km away from the Bhangarh fort, which has been in ruins since the 17th century, when Bhangarh was deserted overnight. People do not enter the area as it is believed that if you do, you do not return.
What does the signboard say?
Here is a translation:
The Government of India
The Archeological Survey of India, Bhangarh
Important warning:
1. Entering the borders of Bhangarh before sunrise and after sunset is strictly prohibited.
2. Shepherds and woodcutters who enter Bhangarh area will face legal action.
3. The Kewda or Pandanus trees found in Bhangarh area belong to the Archaelogy Survey of India. Is it forbidden to subject this tree to any kind of harm.
Note: Anyone flouting of the rules mentioned above will face legal action.
By order
Supervisor, Archaelogical Survey Board
True, the signboard does not say that there are ghosts in the area, or the place is haunted. But the signboard is extremely unusual.

Locals give the Bhangarh fort, and the reasonably large area around it, a wide berth. And this is India, where there are people roaming about everywhere. But locals do not enter the area here due to some popular spooky stories associated with Bhangarh. And ASI has never denied the stories, despite everyone using the signboard as a recognition by the government of the paranormal nature of the place, or said that the signboard was placed for some other mundane reason.
Those who swear by the Bhangarh's resident ghosts, say that the ASI too is scared of the parnanormal activity associated with the fort; hence the ASI board has been put up at a safe distance from the fort, next to a temple. Many locals and visitors claim that they have witnessed paranormal activities – like sounds of music and dancing and wierd color spots in photographs of chambers.

One of the stories say that the Bhangarh was cursed by a tantrik (a wizard who practices dark arts), Singhia, who was in love with the beautiful princess Ratnawati of Bhangarh. Singhia added a love potion to a bowl of oil that belonged to the princess, but Singhia's hopes were dashed (literally) when Ratnawati hurled the bowl on a wall that collapsed and buried Singhia.
A dying Scindia cursed the kingdom of Bhangarh saying that the city would be wiped out overnight, and would never be inhabited again, except for the temples. Shortly after the death of Singhia, the whole city was sacked and destroyed in the Bhangarh-Ajabgarh wars.
Bhangarh was never inhabited again, but the area around it is dotted with temples. Believers consider this a living proof of the wizard's curse.
Story B – The real-estate obsessed wizard
The other story goes that Singhia the Wizard, practised his dark arts in the outskirts of the city. When the early Kings of Bhangarh built the city, Singhia warned them that he would not interfere with the city as long as the they did not infringe on his settlement. The kings were respectful of Singhia's privacy, but one arrogant king refused to heed Singhia and paid for it. When the buildings overshadowed the wizard's work area, the whole city collapsed and all its citizens were forced to flee. Since then, no one has dared to settle in the city again.

Bhangarh was built in the 17th century, by Raja Madho Singh, younger brother of Man Singh, a general of Emperor Akbar's army. At that time, Bhangarh had a population of over 10,000. Now, not a soul lives in the ruined but still beautiful city. Bhangarh was the precursor of the exquisite old city of Jaipur, with its havelis, colorful bazaars, and temples.
Havelis are elaborate residences, almost miniature palaces, built around large courtyards. The walls are painted in bright colors with detailed frescoes. If the old city of Jaipur is anything to go by, Bhangarh must have been an extremely prosperous city. Today nothing remains but the temples.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
I have been to Bhangarh a couple of times, not very eerie.

Although, I am convinced ghosts exist.

arya

Country flag
The Chase Vault is a burial vault in the cemetery of the Christ Church Parish Church in Oistins, Christ Church, Barbados best known for a widespread legend of "mysterious moving coffins". According to the story, each time the heavily-sealed vault was opened in the early 19th century for burial of a family member, all of the lead coffins had changed position. The facts of the story are unverified, and skeptics call the tale "historically dubious.

The first published version of the story appeared in 1833 in James Edward Alexander's Transatlantic Sketches. According to Alexander, a Mrs. Goddard was buried in the vault in 1807, followed in 1808 by Ann Maria Chase, and in 1812 by Dorcas Chase. When the vault was opened in late 1812 for the burial of Thomas Chase, the caskets of the Chase girls were said to be found "in a confused state, having been apparently tossed from their places." Alexander wrote that when the vault was later opened "to receive the body of another infant, the four coffins, all of lead, all very heavy, were much disturbed" and that similar disturbances were found when opening the vault for burials in 1816 and 1819:[1]
"Each time that the vault was opened the coffins were replaced in their proper situations, that is, three on the ground side by side, and the others laid on them. The vault was then regularly closed; the door (a massive stone which required six or seven men to move) was cemented by masons; and though the floor was of sand there were no marks of footsteps or water. The last time the vault was opened was in 1819. Lord Combermere was then present, and the coffins were found confusedly thrown about the vault, some with their heads down and others up. What could have occasioned this phenomenon? In no other vault in the island has this ever occurred. Was it an earthquake which occasioned it, or the effects of an inundation in the vault?".
Different versions of the story appeared over the years, with other accounts published in 1844 and 1860. [2]
[edit]Origins

According to author Jerome Clark, the story of the Chase Vault appears to originate from anecdotes told by Thomas H. Orderson, Rector of Christ Church during the 1800s. Orderson gave "conflicting accounts" of the tale, each containing variations. Clark says the story was subsequently repeated in Alexander's 1833 Transatlantic Sketches, and further repeated the same year in the "Anecdote Gallery" section of Reuben Percy's The Mirror of Literature, amusement, and Instruction.[3][2]
Clark says that most stories that proliferated about the Chase Vault referred back to sources that could be traced to one of Orderson's accounts, and that folklorist Andrew Lang identified the differing versions told by Orderson in a December 1907 article published in Folk-Lore Journal. After combing through existing documentation to determine the veracity of the Chase Vault stories, Lang reported that he could find nothing to substantiate them, either in the burial register of Christ Church or in contemporary newspapers on Barbados, aside from an "unpublished firsthand account" by a Nathan Lucas, who claimed to be present at the opening of the vault in April 1820.[2]
[edit]Masonic allegory

Skeptical investigator Joe Nickell says stories about the Chase Vault are often repeated, but are "historically dubious".[4] Nickell, who investigated an earlier alleged Masonic hoax involving a tale of buried treasure at Oak Island, contends the Barbados story was fashioned around the Masonic allegory of a "secret vault" which, according to a Masonic text, "was ... in the ancient mysteries, symbolic of death, where alone Divine Truth is to be found." Nickell writes that two of the men named in the Chase vault story were Freemasons, and that a similar tale of "restless coffins" was circulated in 1943 that specifically included a party of Freemasons and a vault containing the founder of Freemasonary in Barbados.[5] Nickell notes that Chase Vault stories are loaded with symbols and phrases which Freemasons would recognize

arya

Country flag

Last edited by a moderator:

Oracle

Loads of crap. Ghosts don't exist. I live near a graveyard and many times go home as late as 2, 3, 4 AM in the night. Haven't seen any.

arya

Country flag
Loads of crap. Ghosts don't exist. I live near a graveyard and many times go home as late as 2, 3, 4 AM in the night. Haven't seen any.
wait some time some day they will take a cup of tea with you in your home

are your ready for the unseen guest

Oracle

wait some time some day they will take a cup of tea with you in your home

are your ready for the unseen guest
Oooo, now I'm scared. Not by ghosts, but by the eerie story you just said. I would like the unseen guest to be a female. :D

arya

Country flag
Oooo, now I'm scared. Not by ghosts, but by the eerie story you just said. I would like the unseen guest to be a female. :D
buddy when you will see female ghost your male part will refuse to work ( haa haa)

dont ask for your bad luck to join you

Last edited:

Oracle

buddy when you will see female ghost your male part will refuse to work ( haa haa)

dont ask for your bad to join you
Why? Female ghost has pole instead of a hole? :D

arya

Country flag
Why? Female ghost has pole instead of a hole? :D
no hole and pole are only for humans , brother fear is the main key when you fell fear then you will know

pain cant feel by other person its only feel by those who suffering .

spikey360

Crusader
Country flag
If people are so scared, why do they not go in in large numbers (not tens but hundreds) in the midnight and man the whole fort? LOL.
They should check it out sometime. Armed with torch, both electrical and kerosene ones just in case.

Maharana

Its a lovely place, been there many times but never found anything suspicious. The warning signboards and ghost folklores though, according to me, are more inclined towards protecting the sites from anti-social elements. Its probably a better way to scare them off rather than making other arrangements. SCARECROW logic.

PS- i'm a bit of loner so spent a lot of time in cemetaries during my school and college and no ghost ever showed up.

ashdoc

Country flag
here is a small story i was able to find on the net by someone who visited the place--

It is true and If I am not wrong definitely not a fake story, Now I am telling you our experience of Bhangarh Fort, we were four friends and we went to Bhangarh Fort in October 2005, After going through the main fort we had an experience of some unusual things. One of my Friend Vikram and me feeling some warmness in one Part of the Fort which is on top of the hill. We also experienced some unusual screams of Women and after reaching the Garden we saw one old man, he was weeping, when we asked him about his crying he told us that his cattles are lost and he was looking for them for the last 3 days but he never got anything. It was not unusual but when we reach the Ajmeri Darwaza at the Fort same person was sitting with his cattles and he asked us for the water and the amazing thing was that he told us that he never met us before!

Maharana

here is a small story i was able to find on the net by someone who visited the place--

It is true and If I am not wrong definitely not a fake story, Now I am telling you our experience of Bhangarh Fort, we were four friends and we went to Bhangarh Fort in October 2005, After going through the main fort we had an experience of some unusual things. One of my Friend Vikram and me feeling some warmness in one Part of the Fort which is on top of the hill. We also experienced some unusual screams of Women and after reaching the Garden we saw one old man, he was weeping, when we asked him about his crying he told us that his cattles are lost and he was looking for them for the last 3 days but he never got anything. It was not unusual but when we reach the Ajmeri Darwaza at the Fort same person was sitting with his cattles and he asked us for the water and the amazing thing was that he told us that he never met us before!

Thats a bit doubtful buddy.

vishwaprasad

Country flag
Ghosts really do exist. We believe in god then why nit ghosts? I myself have seen a ghost in Karwar but I have never shared this story with anyone except my family because I know if I tell that to others no one will trust

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles