Bangladesh to honour Indira Gandhi for her support in 1971 war

ejazr

Ambassador
Bangladesh to honour Indira Gandhi for her support in 1971 war - World - DNA

Bangladesh will confer a special honour on late Indian prime minister Indira Gandhi for her "immense" support in its struggle for liberation on the country's 40th independence day next year.

Gandhi will be honoured as part of a government plan to acknowledge the role of foreign nationals in the 1971 Liberation War against Pakistani forces, an official said.

"Some 100 foreign nationals of different categories are expected to be ceremonially awarded coinciding with our 40th Independence Day on March 26 next year in Dhaka. But Mrs Gandhi would conferred with a special honour," secretary of the Liberation War ministry Uzzal Bikash Dutta told PTI.

He said a national committee constituted earlier had nominated her for the special honour for her "unique" role in "offering training to freedom fighters and refuge to millions of people who fled the country and building world opinion for Bangladesh's independence".

Foreign secretary Mohamed Mijarul Queyes, who headed the national subcommittee for preparing the list of foreigners to be honoured, said the committee was expected to finalise the list in its meeting to be chaired by foreign minister Dipu Moni tomorrow.

The criterion of the recipients was finalised earlier.

He said people of different categories like foreign statesmen, politicians, diplomats, soldiers, artists and writers, journalists, rights activists and groups and media organisations like the BBC and All India radio have been nominated for the award.

Bangladesh is to invite the recipients or their relatives to receive the awards in Dhaka.

"The objective of the award is to express our acknowledgement to prove we are a grateful nation," Dutta said.

Bangladesh won its independence in 1971 after nine months of a Liberation War against Pakistani forces with crucial Indian support.

Rebelkid

Some people in Bangladesh and Pakistan won't be happy about this :happy_2:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Good show.

That's the way to go!

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
Nice to hear that at least some country is willing to show its gratitude towards India.

P.S: Does it has to do with some exchanges or intention to impress UPA for something? :happy_2: :happy_2:

JBH22

Helped them but now they are hostile to India btw what's the status of the fencing between both countries border.

ajtr

Tihar Jail
Banned
One indian prime minister Indira Gandhi honoured by former east pakistan aka Bangladesh for its freedom and another prime minister of India morarji desai was awarded with NISHAN-I-PAKISTAN by zia-ul-haq for Gicing up RAW assests lists and indiscreetly told Pakistani dictator Zia ul-Haq that he was aware of Islamabad's nuclear schemes.Quite a contrast.....hain na.

ajtr

Tihar Jail
Banned
who will be next to be awarded NISHAN-I-PAKISTAN --- I.k.Gujral...Any takers?????

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
One indian prime minister Indira Gandhi honoured by former east pakistan aka Bangladesh for its freedom and another prime minister of India morarji desai was awarded with NISHAN-I-PAKISTAN by zia-ul-haq for Gicing up RAW assests lists and indiscreetly told Pakistani dictator Zia ul-Haq that he was aware of Islamabad's nuclear schemes.Quite a contrast.....hain na.
So what? Why dont you add your flag so it would not be confusing to readers.

arya

Country flag
well no doubt she is the best leader in Indian history till now

gogbot

well no doubt she is the best leader in Indian history till now
She was a assertive no doubt, but she had horrible domestic polices.

She is a war time leader if you will.

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
She did a lot of work for the formation of Bangladesh. Without her it wouldn't have been possible. It is a much deserved honour.

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
What India needs right now is a leader combining the ASSERTIVENESS of Indira Gandhi with the ECONOMIC KNOW-HOW of Manmohan with the SPIRITUALITY and COMMITMENT of Mahatma Gandhi.

Unfortunately such a leader does not seem to exist anywhere in India :(

neo29

Wish someone like Indira Gandhi who was a strong woman and a true patriot existed today for our country.

Unfortunately all we have is mamta and maya.

gogbot

What India needs right now is a leader combining the ASSERTIVENESS of Indira Gandhi with the ECONOMIC KNOW-HOW of Manmohan with the SPIRITUALITY and COMMITMENT of Mahatma Gandhi.

Unfortunately such a leader does not seem to exist anywhere in India :(
Wish someone like Indira Gandhi who was a strong woman and a true patriot existed today for our country.

Unfortunately all we have is mamta and maya.
I will take a educated person with good charisma.

A history of public service , or at least 10 years job experience(whatever field) as a regular person.

Some one who has vision ,
Someone who can see potential and can keep up with and understand technology.

Shashi Tharoor was just the person , it's sad t see how it turned out however.

Last edited by a moderator:

Param

i will take a educated person with good charisma.

A history of public service , or at least 10 years job experience(whatever field) as a regular person.

Some one who has vision ,
someone who can see potential and can keep up with and understand technology.

shashi tharoor was just the person , it's sad t see how it turned out however.
no offence, but are you joking or out of you mind ? ? ?

Last edited by a moderator:

gogbot

no offence, but are you joking or out of you mind ? ? ?
Oh wait , let me guess i am upsetting some kind of standard that we have for our politicians.
Shahsi was better then many of the others in politics. I was hearing about him long before he joined politics. I even came across one of his book not to long ago.
You can see an old interview of him i manged to find
Shashi Tharoor - The Colbert Report - 2/15/07 - Video Clip | Comedy Central
You can find older debates between him and christopher hitchens. On Freedom on Speech issues.

He is much better than the standard politician we have.
Shashi himself can never be PM , but a politician with similar backgrounds is what i am looking for.

If you can give me a better example, i am listening.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles