Bangladesh jails another 111 border guards for mutiny

sandeepdg

DHAKA: A Bangladeshi special court jailed 111 border guards for up to seven years Tuesday for their roles in a bloody 2009 mutiny, which left 74 people dead, a state prosecutor said.

Scores of senior army officers were killed in the 33-hour uprising that began when soldiers at the Bangladeshi Rifles (BDR) headquarters in Dhaka went on a killing spree, later dumping the bodies in sewers and shallow graves.

The mutiny swiftly spread to BDR posts outside Dhaka and across the country, with thousands of guards taking up arms against their commanding officers in the worst military rebellion in Bangladesh's history.

The 111 soldiers were convicted by a special court of participating in the mutiny at the BDR headquarters -- a military cantonment at the heart of the Bangladesh capital -- state prosecutor Monjur Alam said.

"Forty-three were jailed for the maximum seven years. Twenty were jailed for five years and the rest minimum two years and six months," he told AFP.

The special courts -- which were set up by the military to try mutineers -- have sentenced more than 700 soldiers, and have thousands more cases pending, Alam added.

A BDR spokesman, Mohsin Reza, said that a total of 721 soldiers have now been sentenced to jail on charges of participating in the mutiny. Another 5,014 have been charged and are awaiting trial in the special courts.

Sentences handed out by the special courts, which do not allow defendants to have lawyers, cannot be appealed.

Soldiers accused of more serious offences -- including murder, looting and arson -- are being tried separately in Bangladesh's civilian courts.

The next hearing in the civilian courts, in which more than 800 BDR soldiers have been charged, has been set for Thursday, February 3.

The BDR has changed its name to the Bangladesh Border Guards in an effort to distance itself from its bloody recent history.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...der-guards-for-mutiny/articleshow/7403827.cms

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag
Does MBI Munshi lurk here? Him and his troupe of Khaleda-Zia asslickers? Where is all the talk of it being a "RAW conspiracy" now?

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag
What exactly is that supposed to mean, mate ??
Well, there's a popular Paki forum which I used to frequent. I voluntarily stopped visiting the place for some reasons.

That forum has a significant Bangladeshi presence. Among the long time Bangladeshi members, there is a creep called MBI Munshi. That guy is one of the biggest conspiracy theorists, if ever there was one! The number of anti-India and RAW-conspiracy threads he has created is mind boggling. What makes this person different is that he is not just some hot headed teenager. He is one of the "intellectuals" of Bangladesh and has written a book called "India doctrine" - basically a bible for anti-India conspiracy theorists.

And of course, many of the other Bangladeshis there are fans of Khaleda Zia and right wing Islamist parties. Those people are among the most anti-India I have ever met, and many of them wistfully ponder over "how they would have been able to stand up to India better if they had been with Pakistan". If you want to see complete lack of self respect and pride in one's own nation, in the hope of pan-Islamic glory, you ought to see some of their posts.

Oracle

Does MBI Munshi lurk here? Him and his troupe of Khaleda-Zia asslickers? Where is all the talk of it being a "RAW conspiracy" now?
This is not a propaganda site or a religious forum. He will be eaten alive in here! People with criminal mentality find solace in terrorist forums, not in DFI.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
This is not a propaganda site or a religious forum. He will be eaten alive in here! People with criminal mentality find solace in terrorist forums, not in DFI.
Well said. But occasionally we get our fair share of idiots singing up here. (you know what im talking about :thumb:)

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
Well said. But occasionally we get our fair share of idiots singing up here. (you know what im talking about :thumb:)
Opinions Ernesto. Every decision in our forum is balanced by an equal weight of either sides. This is what makes the group rational. Whether it is aggressive nationalists, conservative faith-believers or fickle-minded and over-analyzing apologists.. the beauty of this forum is there is sanity. Trust me, you haven't seen the meaning of 'idiot' even close. I know what Bangalorean is talking about and well.. even I have seen it really close. :lol:

When conservative and extreme members go a bit overboard, the light-hearted apologists control them and when fickle-thinking liberals bleed their hearts out, conservative guys balance them :). This is what makes India a place where there's socially a fine balance and doesn't turn our country in to the "Land of the Pure".

Well, there's a popular Paki forum which I used to frequent. I voluntarily stopped visiting the place for some reasons.

That forum has a significant Bangladeshi presence. Among the long time Bangladeshi members, there is a creep called MBI Munshi. That guy is one of the biggest conspiracy theorists, if ever there was one! The number of anti-India and RAW-conspiracy threads he has created is mind boggling. What makes this person different is that he is not just some hot headed teenager. He is one of the "intellectuals" of Bangladesh and has written a book called "India doctrine" - basically a bible for anti-India conspiracy theorists.

And of course, many of the other Bangladeshis there are fans of Khaleda Zia and right wing Islamist parties. Those people are among the most anti-India I have ever met, and many of them wistfully ponder over "how they would have been able to stand up to India better if they had been with Pakistan". If you want to see complete lack of self respect and pride in one's own nation, in the hope of pan-Islamic glory, you ought to see some of their posts.
Oh I know what you exactly mean mate..:eyebrows:... I know it all too well. One thing people never thought about is that around more than half of those Khaleda Zia idiots are not actually Bangladeshis but Pakistanis in false flags. You know that clown AL ZAKIR? The one who starts mental masturbation on how soon the "Khilafat" is coming and how "dirty, poor, Hindoos" will be broken down? He is not a Bangladeshi. Why because there's this Bengali guy who spoke to him in Bangla supposedly on the forum and this Zakir dope said he doesn't understand Bengali (it was written in english script like we write Hinglish sometimes)!! He clearly said because he's a "pure Muslim" he speaks Urdu. :lol:

That is such a stupid giveaway. And there are many others who use Bengali translation online to understand and respond. The forum you're talking about has mostly Pakistani members disguised as Kosovan, Chinese and Bangladeshis. There is even a supposed Nepali (India hater) whom I asked about Gurkha tradition and the idiot started calling me "Indian coward" and digressed away from the topic. Again someone from the Pure Land caught :D. So you see, its simply a kids' India-bashing forum that dreams about dead medieval empires, stupid "religious brotherhoods" and hating Indians (especially mainstream Hindu brothers and sisters).

On topic, I wonder how many more guards are there attempting mutiny... because 700 soldiers for a tiny military like Bangladesh is a significant amount if not huge and the last thing they want is a Tunisia style revolution where definitely ISI will play a big role in bringing BNP-jihadi-CCP loving loonies to power.

Wonder what's with the military selection criteria of Bangladeshi troops. We must remember the adventurism of that loser commander that cost us 8-10 of our BSF Jawans in 2001. Only retaliatory killing of 6 BDR and a military warning from Singh (Jaswant) shut them up.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles