Bangladesh Islamist Abdul Kader Mullah hanged for war crimes

pmaitra

Bangladesh Islamist Abdul Kader Mullah hanged for war crimes

Bangladesh has executed the Islamist leader Abdul Kader Mullah, who was convicted of atrocities committed during the 1971 war of independence with Pakistan.

He is the first person convicted by Bangladesh's International Crimes Tribunal (ICT) to be executed.

The ICT was set up in 2010 to investigate abuses committed during the 1971 conflict.

Mullah was a senior leader of the Jamaat-e-Islami party.

At his trial earlier this year, he was described by prosecutors as the "Butcher of Mirpur", a suburb of Dhaka where he is alleged to have carried out his crimes. These included the massacre of unarmed civilians and the killing of intellectuals who supported independence from Pakistan.
The execution of Abdul Kader Mullah took place at Dhaka Central Jail at 22:01 local time (16:01 GMT) on Thursday evening, officials announced.

His family were allowed a final meeting with the 65-year-old and found him "calm".

"He told us that he is proud to be a martyr for the cause of the Islamic movement in the country," his son, Hasan Jamil, told the AFP after the meeting.

Hundreds of people gathered in central Dhaka to celebrate the news of his death.
Video at source: BBC News - Bangladesh Islamist Abdul Kader Mullah hanged for war crimes

A chauhan

"अहिंसा परमो धर्मः धर्म हिंसा तथैव च: l"
Country flag
Congrats ! His limbs should be cut before they hang him.

kseeker

Retired
Execution of Jamaat-e-Islami leader sparks violent protests in Bangladesh - The Times of India

DHAKA: The execution of an Islamist opposition leader in Bangladesh has sparked violent protests.

TV stations reported on Friday that activists torched many homes and shops belonging to minority Hindus, who are generally believed to be supporters of Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina.

The opposition leader, Abdul Quader Mollah, was hanged on Thursday night for war crimes committed during Bangladesh's war of independence in 1971. His brother, Mainuddin Mollah, said he was buried early Friday in his ancestral home of Faridpur.

Mollah had a key role in Jamaat-e-Islami, an ally of the main opposition Bangladesh Nationalist Party.

The case has exposed the explosive political tensions in Bangladesh between the ruling party and the opposition ahead of national elections next month.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Good riddance to bad rubbish.

However, with the BNP and others pandering to the religious elements and duly funded with Saudi money, there is a chance that there will be chaos.

Hope Bangladesh will be able to control the situation.

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
BNP has boycotted national polls, means BAL will win by default in 153 seats. So incumbent Sheikh Hasina will be reinstated as PM. Good for India.

DivineHeretic

Country flag
Correct me if I am wrong,

But isnt war crime the wrong charge for the Mullah? He was not part of the military nor did he take active part in the war. He was at best a militia leader. As such he can be held guilty of murder or crimes against humanity or even genocide, but war crimes???

Ah, what the heck, he can mull over these technical points along with his 72 camels.

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag

But isnt war crime the wrong charge for the Mullah? He was not part of the military nor did he take active part in the war. He was at best a militia leader. As such he can be held guilty of murder or crimes against humanity or even genocide, but war crimes???

Ah, what the heck, he can mull over these technical points along with his 72 camels.
No camels in BD... maybe this?

Chital - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Now to answer your questions, AFAIK, civilian militia are classed as unlawful combatants, and can't be tried under the Rules of War, (no POW status etc). However there is no bar on prosecuting illegal combatants under Articles of War. In fact, being an illegal combatant is itself a crime in most jurisdictions.

3rd Geneva Convention applies to treatment of POWs/Legal combatants. War crimes (under the 4th Geneva Convention) are basically crimes committed against civilians during times of war by anyone. Being an illegal enemy combatant does not put a person outside the 4th Geneva Conventions.

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional

Alfred Rosenberg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

amoy

war crime? he just happened to b on the "wrong" side of history to defend his country Pakistan. repeatedly BD is rolling in the deep of endless feuds due to stupid politicians who make use of old wounds to polarize the mobs. another failed 3rd world democrazy.

Sent from my 5910 using Tapatalk 2

DivineHeretic

Country flag
war crime? he just happened to b on the "wrong" side of history to defend his country Pakistan. repeatedly BD is rolling in the deep of endless feuds due to stupid politicians who make use of old wounds to polarize the mobs. another failed 3rd world democrazy.

Hmmm,

Japan just happened to be on the "wrong" side of history during the Nanking episode, right?

Another failed third world communism.

amoy

Hmmm,

Japan just happened to be on the "wrong" side of history during the Nanking episode, right?

Another failed third world communism.
dont mix up with the irrelevant. arent u not updated of the headline ï¼»ten (more) killed in Bangladesh PM issues warningï¼½- the islamists rage has been whipped up to avenge the execution? look the wounds hav bn torn apart after 40yrs. Hasina is unable to heal the rift in a pragmatic way.

pmaitra

dont mix up with the irrelevant. arent u not updated of the headline ï¼»ten (more) killed in Bangladesh PM issues warningï¼½- the islamists rage has been whipped up to avenge the execution? look the wounds hav bn torn apart after 40yrs. Hasina is unable to heal the rift in a pragmatic way.

I think he gave a very apt retort, in the very spirit of your original comment. If you can spew drivel, you should be willing to take drivel. You don't know much about BD, so how about you stick to subjects you understand better?

Agnostic_Indian

Country flag
Awami league mishandled entire procedure and lost it's credibility, what could have been a shining episode of providing justice is reduced into a revenge taking politics act..

pmaitra

Awami league mishandled entire procedure and lost it's credibility, what could have been a shining episode of providing justice is reduced into a revenge taking politics act..
Don't expect Sheikh Hasina to show any mercy. Her entire family was massacred, including children. What goes around, comes around, and it is coming around for these pro-Pakistan people. As she had suggested, they could relocate to their "Pyara Pakistan." That they chose to remain, they must face the music.

Revenge is sweet, isn't it?

Deccani

Tihar Jail
Banned
Abdul Quader Molla victims in majority were Bengali Muslims like Alim Chowdhury , poet Meherun Nesa, her mother and two brothers, Hazrat Ali and his wife Amina and daughters Khadija and Tahmina and many more and it was the genocide of Bengali nation who were Muslims themselves . And it was the Massacre of bengali people which made it clear that nations cant be established on the basis of religion.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles