Balasore Train Accident Jun 2023

ShoorVeer

Country flag
Is this possible to get something like this done through cyber medium? Like interfering with the controls of that electronic track change or whatever it is called.

Anyone?
Not at all. You cannot hack into the system and change it online like hacking.

Most probable cause as explained in one of the forums is that they had taken a "block" a while back. The east coast line is being tripled and construction is going on at almost all places in the route.

When the block is taken (block means maintenance restriction in IR terminology), the interlocking is disabled, TSR (Temp Speed Restriction) is imposed and the operations of the points (track changer) are done in manual override mode. Once the related construction, maintenance activity is over, the block is released.

Once the block is over, the old connections of the points need to be reset for the interlocking system. All the wires etc, need to be reconnected.

It seems prima-facie from the facts gathered till now and through the video of the station master's console, that the interlocking system showed that the points were set to the main line. But, in reality, the points were set to the loop. Had the interlocking system worked correctly, it would've prevented the home signal from going green. Home signal would've been red and preceding signals should've been yellow and double-yellow.

Now, the following points arise -

1. Were the interlocking connections reversed after the block completion? So as to indicate green on main line when loop was active?
2. If this had been the case, in the whole day, why did the system not malfunction previously in the day?
3. Did such a situation of a looped overtake not happen earlier in the day after block completion?
4. When was the block completed?
5. Who are the persons involved in restoration of the interlocking? How did they verify if the interlocking was correct earlier?

All these matters are serious concerns and required investigation from a national security angle. That is why it a good decision to get it done from CBI on a special request.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Balasore, Odisha: Train movement resumes in the affected section where the horrific #BalasoreTrainAccident happened that claimed 275 lives. Visuals from Bahanaga Railway station.

kartus

Country flag
रेल हादसे से षड्यंत्र की बू आ रही है | CBI जाँच | स्टेशन मास्टर फ़रार

Kumata

Country flag
Not at all. You cannot hack into the system and change it online like hacking.
Being a IT security professional, I am off opinion that anything in Binary / electronic traffic can be hacked / intercepted. These IR systems most probably are 486 Era doing 16 bit transactions in the era of 64 Bit..

You may not believe but majority of Beings / AIrbus planes are still running on windows 95 / 16 bit architecture :) ..There was a effort to get rid of it in A350 but costs were way too high....

Sayman Ame

Country flag
Has this been posted here already ? Excuse me if it has been.

This kind of tinkering with the "logic" of the AI-based electronic interlocking system can only be "intentional", PTI reported quoting a senior railway official who did not want to be identified.
"It is called a fail safe system, so it means that even if it fails, all the signals will turn red and all train operations will stop. Now, as the minister said there was a problem with the signalling system. It could be that someone has done some digging without seeing the cables. Running of any machine is prone to failures."
@Kumata @iNorthernerOn9

Kumata

Country flag

@Kumata @iNorthernerOn9
Exactly my point.. any Digital system is prone to failures and sabotage. Ministers statement that everything worked as intended rules out any human error per se. Train drivers behaved as per book..

Either way this is most probably first time that a CBI inquiry is being initiated into a train accident.. i am wondering if few are trying to pin kaka from all sides.... sort of 24x7 warfare in peoples mind...

shade

Country flag

@Kumata @iNorthernerOn9
Yet inspite of multiple evidences of such sabotage, one guy here, acting as a viraat hondu is convinced that this is the fault of railway walas only :troll:

Ofc the saboteurs will end up being of one religion only, but i am only an andh bhakt peddling conspiracy theories here amirite?

jai jaganath

Country flag
Yet inspite of multiple evidences of such sabotage, one guy here, acting as a viraat hondu is convinced that this is the fault of railway walas only :troll:

Ofc the saboteurs will end up being of one religion only, but i am only an andh bhakt peddling conspiracy theories here amirite?
I am not going against this theory but my sources I mean father's relatives say it was pure human error by a person in control room I mean technical failure occurred but he didn't give some sort of notice
Now question is how that technical failure occurred is that man made or truly mechanical
But AFAIK they are ready to accept the mechanical failure part
But we should wait for the cbi report

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles