Balasore Train Accident Jun 2023

another_armchair

Country flag
Man in those days NFR (Northeast Fontier Railways) trains originating from Assam didn't pasted Passenger Reservation Lists on Trains and Platforms out of fear from Targeted killings of specific passengers.

And armed forces troops were transported in normal passenger trains during daytime only.

Kya kya din dekhne pade
Yup. That's what I keep reminding folks - present days are nothing compared to 80's and 90's or even early 2000's when there was no mobile internet.

Guwahati had become a military garrison town. Who on earth would've ever thought.

Late 90's, 2000's was a tough time to be a 'jeans' clad guy in his late teens in the North East. Wasn't surprising to get pulled over for frisking & ID check at public places, stations in particular.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Why just cherrypick USA? For every USA there are a dozen examples of pvt railways being run efficiently. The best railways in the world are all privately run (Western Europe and Japan). What IR needs is drastic restructuring, not possible under the current management. Heck, they were the cause for the two year delay between the rollout of Vande Bharat 1 and VB 2.
these kinds of numbers do not happen unless there is some internal restructuring already happening.
avoiding binary logics is perhaps a better way to analyse any event in Bharat.

Was going down untill now

View attachment 208613

jai jaganath

Country flag
Naxali angle should be ruled out as of now.

This is the Naxal Penetration Map of Odhisa.

And where the trains derailed, it is not a Naxal affected area/district by any means.

View attachment 208641
As far as my relatives day they deny this theory saying it was complete railway mismanagement regarding communication and even post accident management at local level
U guys might take my words pinch of salt as these are personal opinions report hasn't came yet
Sheer bad luck and incompetency railway employees
Anyways let's wait for the report

angryIndian

Country flag
Naxali angle should be ruled out as of now.

This is the Naxal Penetration Map of Odhisa.

And where the trains derailed, it is not a Naxal affected area/district by any means.

View attachment 208641
Naxals in Baleswar ? Lol

This is the place where all our missiles are tested.

Today the only place where Naxals have a significant presence is Malkangiri which borders Bastar and Sukhma.

Physx32

Country flag
I travelled through this same section last week (HWH-Puri SF) and returned this Monday on the newly inaugurated VB.

Hwh-Puri SF had that infamous CBC draft gear issue and the coach kept violently jerking anytime the brake was applied. Everyone complained to the TTE but of course nothing was done. And nobody could sleep during the night.

Condition of IR is pathetic, nothing but complete complete corporatization, dissolution of railway board and ministry will solve this. Railway board GM and relevant babus of SER should be immediately jailed. And Vaishnaw must not resign, it's not his fault and he must continue with the modernisation.

indus

Living in Post Truth
Country flag
Yes, just yesterday I was recounting with my parents how frequent it was in Bengal-Bihar-Odisha-Jharkhand region to have maoists or Naxalites disengage the fishplates, or keep IED on tracks. Horrible, horrible times.
As late as 2010, Rajdhani train coming from Kolkata or NE towards Mumbai had to halt at night around Nagpur as night passage was not deemed safe. The train used to move in the morning when crossing the naxal infested Chattisgarh areas

abingdonboy

Country flag
I think we need to put it in perspective for the much younger members. Back in 90s and even early 00's, every week you'd see a couple or more train accidents. I still remember the Mughalsarai train accident on tv, newspapers vividly from my childhood.

We are much better off now, yes we will have disasters when we run such a huge train network. It is very tragic what happened, but remember we are here after a looong struggle with even worse situations.
100%, I dearly hope the baby isn’t thrown out with the bath water here (the railways minister having to resign as many commies are clamouring for right now). I remember that even 7 years ago the number of people being killed at level crossings was in the 1000s every year and under this govt only this has been brought down to almost 0, the safest years by far the IR has ever had at the years post modi

instead this should be used as an impetus to accelerate all possible safety mechanisms especially Kavach and hopefully this is the kick in the a&& IR/GoI needs to fast track the signalling upgrades tbh IR has been crying out for for decades

Secondary benefits need to be learning lessons about SAR and mass casualty events

nixin

I expect more Passenger train accidents throughout this year.
Kanniyakumar Express: Conspiracy to derail train near Trichy? Passengers survived due to the skill of the loco pilot

Major conspiracy to overturn Kanyakumari Express by placing tires on the tracks near Trichy.

Trains bound for Chennai departed late as the loco pilot managed to prevent a MAJOR ACCIDENT.

Investigation revealed that in the interim, unidentified persons may have vandalized the Kanyakumari Express train by putting lorry tires on the tracks to overturn it.

abingdonboy

Country flag
Travelled the Goa-Mumbai route last December and seeing how slow trains become. Is there any viable alternative to simply adding trains. Seems to be that the tracks can only handle so much.
Yes- signalling upgrades, it will allow the same tracks to operate more trains with lesser intervals. For some reason this simply hasn’t taken off despite the CAPEX growing threw the roof for IR, there seems to be structural resistance to upgrading the signalling for some god knows reason. I remember Goyal had proposed rolling out ECTS-2 to the entire high density IR network and this was quickly then shelved

Jimih

Country flag
Hwh-Puri SF had that infamous CBC draft gear issue and the coach kept violently jerking anytime the brake was applied. Everyone complained to the TTE but of course nothing was done. And nobody could sleep during the night.
This might be the sequence which may have happened:

A Signalling error resulted in the Coromandel express colliding with the stationary goods train on the track 3 it was resting. And it's coaches flew onto the 2nd track from where Bengaluru-Howrah express has to be passed, loco pilot of this train saw the coaches lying on the tracks and applied emergency brakes and collided with the coaches of the already Coromandel express on the 2nd track.

The time difference between two train derailments was only 5 minutes.

jai jaganath

Country flag
100%, I dearly hope the baby isn’t thrown out with the bath water here (the railways minister having to resign as many commies are clamouring for right now). I remember that even 7 years ago the number of people being killed at level crossings was in the 1000s every year and under this govt only this has been brought down to almost 0, the safest years by far the IR has ever had at the years post modi

instead this should be used as an impetus to accelerate all possible safety mechanisms especially Kavach and hopefully this is the kick in the a&& IR/GoI needs to fast track the signalling upgrades tbh IR has been crying out for for decades

Secondary benefits need to be learning lessons about SAR and mass casualty events
Exactly thats the evil motives of commies both in IR and politics they want to kick out vaishnav as he is forcing modernization through the throats of babuz and many people can't digest it too
But looking at past history I don't think mydiji to be strong this time as he has always ditched his people at their difficult times
He might face the fate of suresh prabhhu

abingdonboy

Country flag
Exactly thats the evil motives of commies both in IR and politics they want to kick out vaishnav as he is forcing modernization through the throats of babuz and many people can't digest it too
But looking at past history I don't think mydiji to be strong this time as he has always ditched his people at their difficult times
He might face the fate of suresh prabhhu
For some reason I think Ashwani will make it through this. Luckily (and yes this is an unfortunate way to think) this is far enough out from the election to not be such a factor in 2024. Ashwani was brought into to a job and that is still undone

abingdonboy

Country flag
Rescue works over, at the least one can say that the response to these incidents has improved also over the years. I’m sure in another time they’d still be doing rescue Ops for at least 3-5 days and you’d hear about hospitals being overrun

Suryavanshi

Cheeni KLPDhokebaaz
Rescue works over, at the least one can say that the response to these incidents has improved also over the years. I’m sure in another time they’d still be doing rescue Ops for at least 3-5 days and you’d hear about hospitals being overrun
Worst train accident of India took place in 1995

Will this Balasore tragedy break that record?

Good to see that army is not being called for every little thing. NDRF takes on most of the load.
Army was called for building small bridges and all back in the day.
I clearly remember 2010s. Train accidents would happen evey othe month. News channels would make animations of accidents which Is why they were still in my mind.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles